Sparring gear

yumiko14

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm about to get some sparring gear, and I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was. What brands have you/do you use, and what do you recommend not buying? I plan on buying foot, hand, and head gear. I was thinking about getting the proforce lightening foot and head gear, which is what some of the people at the dojo I go to use. For the head gear. Has anyone heard of this before? I was looking at the picture, and the padding sort of looked thin, but then again I don't know much about sparring gear. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get some sparring gear, and I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was. What brands have you/do you use, and what do you recommend not buying? I plan on buying foot, hand, and head gear. I was thinking about getting the proforce lightening foot and head gear, which is what some of the people at the dojo I go to use. For the head gear, I was thinking about this: http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/9598.htm. Has anyone heard of this before? I was looking at the picture, and the padding sort of looked thin, but then again I don't know much about sparring gear. Thanks for the help!
You've looked at your fellow students -- but if you're going to compete, check out the rules you'll be competing under, too. For example, we've had to start requiring closed finger gloves in our tournaments. Well, in the traditional closed cell style of hand gear, I've only found one company (Macho -- who are fantastic to deal with, as an aside) that makes one. So, that drove the gear I bought for my club.

As for that particular head gear -- it looks OK. Does someone have some you can try to find out whether it fogs up too easily or cuts your vision too much?

OP
Y

yumiko14

White Belt
Reaction score
You've looked at your fellow students -- but if you're going to compete, check out the rules you'll be competing under, too. For example, we've had to start requiring closed finger gloves in our tournaments. Well, in the traditional closed cell style of hand gear, I've only found one company (Macho -- who are fantastic to deal with, as an aside) that makes one. So, that drove the gear I bought for my club.

As for that particular head gear -- it looks OK. Does someone have some you can try to find out whether it fogs up too easily or cuts your vision too much?

No, I don't think anyone has it, but from what I saw and read, when/if it fogs up it doesn't cut your vision because it has the openings for the eyes, nose, and mouth.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have ProForce Lightening and my daughter has Century (we do Tang Soo Do). I'd recommend the Century over the Lightening. The Lightening shoes aren't as well made and mine have splits down the heel section already. Ours is the dipped foam gear.

Are you going to get shin guards? I noticed some people don't use them. My daughter still has nerve damage after 6 months or so from getting whacked in the shin (while blocking). If we'd have bought her shin guards it would have never happened. You can still bonk the knee or ankle when wearing shin guards which can be quite painful of course.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you, but that gear you listed is about a third the price at www.martialartssupermarket.com
I have been using them for over ten years and am happy with them.
As for quality of sparring gear in general, I use KWON and ProForce and am convinced that all of it is about the same in terms of quality.
All of it is going to last for about a year and you will end up taping it all up with electrical tape.

AoG

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like Masterline - and I usually buy it from the company.

As jks said - make sure whatever you buy is legal for competition. For example, the association I'm in doesn't allow face shields - so the head gear you're looking at wouldn't be usable at our events.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
you should ask all these questions to your instructor. he surely knows what brands, what type of gear you need for your MA, where to buy, etc. Lots of schools sell the equipment too.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
personally I haven't found any great differences in foam dipped gear. Your instructor will be able to help you out regarding any specific manufacturer you need to go with or any colors. I would HIGHLY recommend Shock Doctor mouth guards and cups... having been tagged in the mouth and groin during competition I can attest to their quality over inferior products.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
personally I haven't found any great differences in foam dipped gear. Your instructor will be able to help you out regarding any specific manufacturer you need to go with or any colors. I would HIGHLY recommend Shock Doctor mouth guards and cups... having been tagged in the mouth and groin during competition I can attest to their quality over inferior products.
In terms of the foam dipped gear... it's like boxing gloves. There just ain't but so many ways to do it, so in a perfect world, you'd be able to try on several and see which fit you best. One model might be a little longer or shorter, or the way that the hold your fingers is more comfortable than another. Or, like me, you might have a rule that reads "no boxing gloves or bag gloves, but the fingers must be covered." The only brand I've found in the US that has closed fingertips is Macho.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use mostly Ringside or Title gear, but I also like Macho and TopTen. With the heavy contact we have most gear just does not stand up for very long.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you should ask all these questions to your instructor. he surely knows what brands, what type of gear you need for your MA, where to buy, etc. Lots of schools sell the equipment too.
I think this is the best place to start. If your instructor tells you to get whatever you want from wherever you want, then pick what YOU like. But, I would hate for you to buy gear to only be told later that you have to buy something else. We have a strict policy that all gear is bought from our school. First off, it supports your own school which should be important to you. But just as important, it ensures your eligibility and goes a long way to aiding in your own safety as your instructor will (surely) have picked equipment that is best suited to the types of sparring you will be participating in.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd avoid dipped foam hand or foot gear, unless you like shelling out money on a regular basis, dipped foam just doesn't hold up to any level of contact. I like masterline vinyl "tournament chop", for moderate contact it tends to hold up for years.

For the head gear, I was thinking about this: http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action...ct_id/9598.htm. Has anyone heard of this before? I was looking at the picture, and the padding sort of looked thin, but then again I don't know much about sparring gear. Thanks for the help!

Several people in our class use that gear because of having contacts, it seems to work fairly well, though I have cracked at least one face shield with a punch.

Lamont

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the others who say it's best to ask your instructor. In my school, we all use different companies, so it doesn't matter. However, many schools do require specific types of gear, so I'd check before you spent all that money. If you can buy any gear you like, I'd recommend Macho. That's what I use and it seems pretty good.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the others who say it's best to ask your instructor. In my school, we all use different companies, so it doesn't matter. However, many schools do require specific types of gear, so I'd check before you spent all that money. If you can buy any gear you like, I'd recommend Macho. That's what I use and it seems pretty good.

I agree get it from the school and your instructor should already have there source.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Tokon's handgear.

http://www.tokon.com/shop/shop/category.asp?catid=4

Their USA-NKF style gear is comfortable to use, reasonably durable, and it comes from a company that I know that I can trust (been ordering from Markus for quite a while).

Now that I've said that,

You should go through your instructor. Unless he's in the awful practice of buying ultra-cheap gear and re-selling it for far more than fair market value, you should order your items through him.

While it's true, that almost anyone can find it on the internet for a few pennies less, you have to keep in mind, that buying through your instructor brings money back to the dojo, and also increases your school's buying power. If there's something that your instructor doesn't carry that you want, then go right ahead with whatever you want.

Latest Discussions