Black Martial Artists on Film

CatNap

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Let's face it, there's just not enough and they're out there but with no info about them. Everybody knows about the many styles of Wesley Snipes but what about 70's stars Tamara Dobson (Cleopatra Jones) and Jim Kelly (Enter the Dragon)? Are there any action film buffs out there that know what style these two studied? Apparently, from what her brother says about her, Dobson was serious about her life long passion with Karate - though no idea what style.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Wikipedia entry for Jim Kelly says he studied Shorin-ryu and Okinawa-Te karate. Not much on Tamara Dobson other than the statement from her brother.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Peter "Sugarfoot" Cunningham - Kickboxing

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey I was gonna say Taimak!

LOL.

Howard S Jackson from Walker Texas Ranger was a "Karate" champion,

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

This is taken from his Wikipedia page

"He is an accomplished martial artist, holding seven legitimate black belts in Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, Kobudo, Goju Ryu, Tang Soo Do, Wushu and Kyokushin,[1] with a specific focus in Kyokushin (although his style incorporates aspects of many different martial arts forms). White started martial arts training at the age of 7."

Im sorry I refuse to believe this right here. He was born in 1967 and to say he holds black belt in each and be accomplished is a pure crock.

And nah there are not many African American MA's out there but since I just turned 30 last month and im in halfway decent shape plus I look good, I will try and go to hollywood and see if I can be the next one... :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is taken from his Wikipedia page

"He is an accomplished martial artist, holding seven legitimate black belts in Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, Kobudo, Goju Ryu, Tang Soo Do, Wushu and Kyokushin,[1] with a specific focus in Kyokushin (although his style incorporates aspects of many different martial arts forms). White started martial arts training at the age of 7."

Im sorry I refuse to believe this right here. He was born in 1967 and to say he holds black belt in each and be accomplished is a pure crock.

And nah there are not many African American MA's out there but since I just turned 30 last month and im in halfway decent shape plus I look good, I will try and go to hollywood and see if I can be the next one... :)

Can you send me your autograph so I can say that I knew ya way back in the day? :D

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The did an article in Jet magazine a few years ago about black stars who had black belts. I can't recall who they all are, but there are some out there. I think that if you went online and did a google search, you could find out who they are.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ron Van Clief - Chinese Goju
Carl Scott - Kenpo
Sonny Barnes - Kenpo
Chuck Jeffreys - Long Fist and Tien Shan Pai
Rudy Ray Moore - hey, he's Dolomite! Nuff' said.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think Kareem Abdul-Jabbar starred in Game of Death with Bruce Lee in 1978. I also believe that this was Bruce's last movie and it was unfinished at the time of his death? Kareem was apparently a student of Yoga and martial arts, as well as a great NBA player.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is Steve James from the "American Ninja" movies. There aren't enough African Americans in MA films, that's for sure.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Man u guys have told me a lot b/c I never knew that there were even this many african americans in MA movies. Only people I could think of are Bruce LeRoy( The Last Dragon), Steve James (didn't know his name till now..thanks Iceman) and Jim Kelly.

Ok...I think im not too late...to be the next one!

Carol...I will need you to start my fan club.
Iceman..I need a agent...

I will use all MT members in my movies as extras.

:uhyeah:

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Miramax film, Slums 13, which will be released in late 2008, features several accomplished, quality martial artists. You can search Slums 13 or R.L. Scott (the Director) on youtube and see some clips.
A few of the Black martial artists in the film are:

Taimak ("Last Dragon")
Hans Wikkeling (martial arts champion)
Anis (martial arts champion)
Lateef Crowder (fought Tony Jaa in "Tom Yum Goon" aka "The Protector")
My students and I :headbangin:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a Jim Kelly fan, and more so of Steve James!

The Miramax film, Slums 13, which will be released in late 2008, features several accomplished, quality martial artists. You can search Slums 13 or R.L. Scott (the Director) on youtube and see some clips.
A few of the Black martial artists in the film are:

Taimak ("Last Dragon")
Hans Wikkeling (martial arts champion)
Anis (martial arts champion)
Lateef Crowder (fought Tony Jaa in "Tom Yum Goon" aka "The Protector")
My students and I

Sounds great! How did you get in?

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Kareem Abdul-Jabbar starred in Game of Death with Bruce Lee in 1978. I also believe that this was Bruce's last movie and it was unfinished at the time of his death? Kareem was apparently a student of Yoga and martial arts, as well as a great NBA player.

Kareem was a student of Bruce Lee's and studied JKD still does in a sense if I remember a BB article about him some years ago. I think he has his kids in it or the MAs as well.

Kareem was used as an unknown fighter style in the "Game of Death"

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kareem was a student of Bruce Lee's and studied JKD still does in a sense if I remember a BB article about him some years ago. I think he has his kids in it or the MAs as well.

Kareem was used as an unknown fighter style in the "Game of Death"

Sorry I missed this part.

Game of Death was filmed fight scene wise prior to his leaving for Hong Kong to film Enter the Dragon which was his "last film". In Game of Death they used another actor and card board cut outs to fill in for Lee since he had passed away. This is why the only redeeming thing about the film is the last segment of the fights he filmed with Kareem, Dan Inosnato, the Hapkido stylist etc. etc.

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My students and I auditioned.
The Director is still looking for extras with martial arts skill.

Latest Discussions