What is everyone's weakness

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My home computer is broken, can only spend a little time at work on theirs - otherwise this would probably be a post that filled the whole page.

My main game is a striker. Grappling is my weakness. I could go into specifics as to what parts of my ground game are weak, but I ain't gonna', it would take too long. I really suck when caught in a cross side position to a heavier opponent who knows what he's doing.

As for stand up - I hate getting kicked in the legs. Hate it. I'm too old and too skinny to take any of that. Someone kicks me in the legs I'm probably going to shoot them and go to jail - just because.

I'm susceptible to a good shovel hook, and I shouldn't be because it's one of my favorite strikes, but I am. I am also easy prey to a good leaping left hook. Fortunately not many folks throw them.

I don't like fighting shorter fighters, I much prefer a taller opponent. The shorter a guy is the weaker my game is.

In knife fighting I am susceptible to a certain angle on a certain side, but I ain't stupid enough (almost, though) to put that online.

I don't kick much anymore, but I've been working to make that a strength. So far so good.

I could go on and on about weaknesses forever.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I want to gain weight, if anything!
Fun as it is to be the "fast little guy", an extra 5-10 pounds does can go a long way.
Let's get together. I'll have the liposuction done and they can transplant it to you. ;)

Weight is always an issue with me, especially as I get older. That's the way we humans work. Problem is that I have a ton of willpower, I just am lacking in won'tpower. I won't turn down pizza, chocolate, kolaches, etc.

Rmada

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Apart from physical limitations my biggest weakness is my tendancy to over analyze. It definately can slow the learning process and reduces reaction times. My body may know what to do but my brain says " hey what about this...".

Oh and a big +1 on redheads. If this info is to be used against me then please use redheaded women.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know, sounds to me like you're pretty awesome at being well-rounded, which totally counts as an area to excel in!

Thanks! OK, I'll break it down.

Swords: I'm reasonably good at both longsword and messer. I suck at sword & buckler. My rapier has degraded to non-existent, but no biggie. Funny thing is, I'm best at longsword, my favourite weapon is the langes/grosse messer. I really need to work on my cutting of tatami.
By battojutsu is coming along. Can't get enough of it.
Judo: ground-fighting is ok. I tend to punch above my belt level on the ground. My standing grappling is not so great, but I've only been at it for a couple of years. Every takedown I score in randori is a moral victory for me.
Modern Combatives: I can get by. We're starting a unit on bareknuckle boxing in the new year which has me super stoked.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In terms of skills: Grappling. Grappling, grappling grappling. Specifically, I can't submit someone to save my life. If I go to the ground, my main goal is just to get back up and go back to stand up.

Outside of that, my ability fluctuates pretty rapidly. It's based on my mental state, but for the most part I won't know until I start how it will be that day. One day I may be incredibly timid (which causes me to do horribly) because for whatever reason I overanalyze and am convinced the other person is better than me. Another day I will be more aggressive, or balanced, improvise way more than I analyze, and do much better than my opponent. This happens against the same opponents, and it confuses them as much as it confuses me.

Also, I am less in shape than I would like to be. Went from working out/practicing MA 4-6 hours every day, to now working out for maybe an hour each day. Huge change, but I just didn't have the time, and now that I have some more time I'm finding it difficult to get myself motivated. I weigh less than I would like, have less muscle, and my stamina is much lower than I am used to.

Last edited:

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a good image to direct link to but just google "Asian red head". I like all women but I'm just a sucker for pretty Asian girls.

My take downs and wrestling are absolutely horrid. While I am not a "proficient striker", at different points in my life I've done some striking based arts - karate, Bak Sil Lum, San shou. I'm about to start studying Muay Thai, so I hope my striking will vastly improve. I think over the last couple of years I've become much stronger of a grappler from the bottom (BJJ). I grappled with a wrestler a few months ago who would smash me onto the ground every time we rolled but once we hit the ground the match was mine.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Weaknesses...chocolate, kittens, puppies, good whisky, good wine, little kids, shoes, good food.........
I'm not sure if Operation Yewtree is still active, but you might want to re-phrase number 6 on your list ;-)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Operation Yewtree is still active, but you might want to re-phrase number 6 on your list ;-)

Nah, I have my DBS and I only eat kids, I don't abuse them.................:) My Rainbows, Brownies and Guides love me lol they know they are safe on camp and outings cos the cage fighting owl is with them ( their words, I'm Tawny Owl in Guiding)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Grappling, my one year of BJJ and smattering of judo from 10-15 years ago just isn't up to par, but I don't enjoy it as much as well, everything else, and so I don't focus on it. And somehow being a husband and parent has cut into all the free time to go and play often enough to get good.

MartialMasters

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! OK, I'll break it down.

Swords: I'm reasonably good at both longsword and messer. I suck at sword & buckler. My rapier has degraded to non-existent, but no biggie. Funny thing is, I'm best at longsword, my favourite weapon is the langes/grosse messer. I really need to work on my cutting of tatami.
By battojutsu is coming along. Can't get enough of it.
Judo: ground-fighting is ok. I tend to punch above my belt level on the ground. My standing grappling is not so great, but I've only been at it for a couple of years. Every takedown I score in randori is a moral victory for me.
Modern Combatives: I can get by. We're starting a unit on bareknuckle boxing in the new year which has me super stoked.

Nice! I'm almost the opposite...with swords I'm most comfortable with Rapier, then Sword/Buckler, then Longsword. I love them all, but am not as evenly practiced in each. I'd say my ground fighting has degraded, but no biggie!
Actually, I'd like to improve my standing grappling game a bit...now that you mention it.
Otherwise, modern fighting is what Martial Masters Academy is all about, so I've had several wonderful years to break those figurative shoes in!

So much to do, so many weapons, styles...it's great!

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Throws and takedowns are my weakness. I am alright with some counter sweeps, but many of the little nuances escape me.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My short attention span... I get distracted easily and cant read a book for more than 5 minutes without becoming completly bored and miserable. (id rather run 5 miles than read a 30 minute book) 30 minutes of book reading. now thats just torture

I also agree with the dogs and cats thing too. If there is a puppy or a kitty I just gotta pet it. That is important priority. Which is why I also cant stand seeing dogs and cats have to live outside and nobody ever gives them attention

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weaknesses....

Hmm... I'll fall for it too, why not. Can't foil a master plan if you don't initially join the plotline, can ya...

Life: Big-eyed blondes, and no, the "eye" thing is not a euphemism but what you are thinking is also another weakness, sure. Beer, can't forget beer.

Food: Really good pizza.... I tend to eat too much at the single sitting for some really good, Chicago-style deep dish. Have to do the Al Bundy and unbutton the pants afterwards when miserable. Worse thing is, I know I'm going to do it when I sit down to get at it! Ha! Good thing we don't have that style of pizza locally here in Houston or I'd be over three bills.

Fights: Not being able to see well is a huge weakness, that's obvious. Right when it started getting big, I spent some valuable time with some systema folks, which flows right into my (later in life) aikido paradigm (love that word), of "Take the first one for the team, then deal with it." Of course the assumption being that one is Able to so take it and keep rolling...

Practice: I'm working on getting rid of intention, meaning to try to bridge that gap between "I want to do this technique" to "Huh, that was neat how that just happened." The older crew will know what I mean, I bet.