What inspires you?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the hardest things about training is the feeling of not progressing, and it's times like these that you might need some inspiration to keep going, to not give up. I just had a session where I literally couldn't do anything right, not even the basics. It was like starting afresh again. Fed up I looked for some inspiration and found this video:

Such a beautiful form and one day I would love to be able to do a form like this. That dream keeps me going when I am feeling lost and without progression.

What inspires you to push further and train harder when you feel you aren't progressing?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Current positive feedback, thinking about my future goals. The fact I enjoy training.

I had bad experiences where I screw everything up to, seems it happens to everyone. It is still pretty annoying though

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the hardest things about training is the feeling of not progressing, and it's times like these that you might need some inspiration to keep going, to not give up. I just had a session where I literally couldn't do anything right, not even the basics. It was like starting afresh again. Fed up I looked for some inspiration and found this video:

Such a beautiful form and one day I would love to be able to do a form like this. That dream keeps me going when I am feeling lost and without progression.

What inspires you to push further and train harder when you feel you aren't progressing?

I love the day after those times when I feel so crappy at my art. It is the best evidence that you are reaching a new level of skill.

Not sure if it is because you became aware of something new, as if something clicks, that you feel crap. Or you do crappy performance because which causes you to realize something you needed to know. My experience is that when I feel that way though I am about to kick it up a notch shortly. Noticed it not by looking at myself but rather comparing with my kin.

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
Current positive feedback, thinking about my future goals. The fact I enjoy training.

I had bad experiences where I screw everything up to, seems it happens to everyone. It is still pretty annoying though
best piece of advice a person can give you is you fall eventually the road will be hard there are times you are gonna want to give up but you gotta keep pushing and no matter how many times you fall its about how many times you get up

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would love to be able to do a form like this.
The day that you stand in front of a mirror and start to fall in love with yourself, the day that your training direction will switch into a totally different direction.

MA can be trained for

1. combat,
2. performance, and
3. health.

1 cannot be applied to 2, and 2 cannot be applied to 1, but both 1 and 2 can be applied to 3.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The day that you stand in front of a mirror and start to fall in love with yourself, the day that your training direction will switch into a totally different direction.

MA can be trained for

1. combat,
2. performance, and
3. health.

1 cannot be applied to 2, and 2 cannot be applied to 1, but both 1 and 2 can be applied to 3.

Is that a bad thing that you love being able to do something very few others can?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes I get frustrated that I'm not progressing. Then I grapple with a coworker or a new person at the gym and realize how easy it is to control, sweep, and submit them. I used to be that person. Yes, I have a helluva long way to go but I get reminded that I've already taken the first few steps at least.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I studied TKD there were a couple of times I got very discouraged, thinking how long I had been doing something and not progressing as I thought I should. I considered if I wanted to continue training or not. I did keep it up, and every time I did that, I suddenly realized at some point later, that I had indeed made significant progress. And I couldn't even remember when.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just had a session where I literally couldn't do anything right, not even the basics
It might be helpful to remember Dan John's Rule of 5 on days like that.

Dan John said:
In a group of five workouts, I tend to have one great workout: the kind of workout that makes me think that in just a few weeks I could be an Olympic champion and Mr. Olympia. Then, I have one workout that's so awful that the mere fact I continue to exist as a somewhat higher form of life is a miracle. Then, the other three workouts are the "punch the clock" workouts: I go in, work out, and walk out. Most people experience this.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When one feels uninspired, one way of looking at it is to find something that does inspire, encourage, or otherwise excite you. Perfectly valid.

Another way is to abandon goals and just let it be. Training without needing to become something or reach some goal can be very liberating.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another way is to abandon goals and just let it be. Training without needing to become something or reach some goal can be very liberating.

Really? I don't know about you but I feel that training without goals is pretty pointless. Without something to strive for, what's the point in doing the activity?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Really? I don't know about you but I feel that training without goals is pretty pointless. Without something to strive for, what's the point in doing the activity?

Please note I didn't say there was nothing to strive for. Not having a goal doesn't change the need to strive. But it is the striving that matters, not the goal.

In other words, I am content to be on a path. Where the road goes doesn't matter much if the path is the right one for you.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone hits plateaus - it's part of training..

One thing that inspires me is helping others - especially kids - seeing them struggle..
and then.. little by little - they get it and then, they test and - that smile.. unbelievable!
It keeps me pushing forward.. plus, when you're helping other people - it really forces
you to examine your own technique and work to make it sharper

Fall down 7 times, stand up 8

Latest Discussions