Getting hit in the groin.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So today we are going to be doing a technique that requires hitting in the groin. I wear a cup but even with the cup on it still really sucks to get there, plus we will be doing this multiple times so my question is there anything I can do minimize the impact?

Would stuffing my cup with a sock or rag make the strike not suck so badly?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally, groin strikes are practiced with control - either no impact if you aren't wearing a cup or very light impact if you are wearing one. If your instructor is requiring you to practice actually getting hit repeatedly in the groin, then you might want to reconsider whether you want to train where you are.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope nothing you can do just get ready for it

Generally, groin strikes are practiced with control - either no impact if you aren't wearing a cup or very light impact if you are wearing one. If your instructor is requiring you to practice actually getting hit repeatedly in the groin, then you might want to reconsider whether you want to train where you are.

It's a good move to practice taking groin shots because if you get hit there in a real fight you'll be sort of used to it instead of buckling over and freezing

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your instructor is requiring you to practice actually getting hit repeatedly in the groin, then you might want to reconsider whether you want to train where you are.

This.

My other half assures me that no amount of striking that part of the anatomy will ever make you used to being hit there. However in a fight adrenaline may well carry you through the pain as with other injuries but Tony's advice is right on the button, please do think about it. You can have very serious consequences from being repeatedly struck there.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
This.

My other half assures me that no amount of striking that part of the anatomy will ever make you used to being hit there. However in a fight adrenaline may well carry you through the pain as with other injuries but Tony's advice is right on the button, please do think about it. You can have very serious consequences from being repeatedly struck there.

I do not wish to ever have children anwyay, it is more the initial pain that bothers me because that is a lot of pain. It also makes me sick to my stomach as well.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Problem is, if you get hit in the groin it can actually cause you to fear being hit in the groin. This could breed a flinching behavior in you causing you to want to defend that spot at all cost, even if it means taking something to the head or body.

So if you do take a punch/kick to the groin, make sure that if it hurts like hell and you want it to be over. Stand up and make sure you willingly take one more hit on your own request. Not because you learn more or can mentally avoid learning to flinch. But because you can now prove to yourself you can overcome that fear and stepping away will make it that much harder to do it ever again.

So if it does mess with your head and make you fear it to the core, you better do something about that fear before it gets worse.

Or better yet, do not go there. What you do not know does not hurt you just yet.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not wish to ever have children anwyay, it is more the initial pain that bothers me because that is a lot of pain. It also makes me sick to my stomach as well.

Not having children wasn't what I was thinking about, a friend of mine's husband hurt himself at work (in army he was getting down from a tank he'd been driving and 'caught' himself) he was in horrendous pain so they rushed him to the med centre where he was diagnosed with testicular torsion, he was rushed to hospital and into theatre.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not having children wasn't what I was thinking about, a friend of mine's husband hurt himself at work (in army he was getting down from a tank he'd been driving and 'caught' himself) he was in horrendous pain so they rushed him to the med centre where he was diagnosed with testicular torsion, he was rushed to hospital and into theatre.

Oh damn. After reading that I want to wear my cup all the time now.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I beg to differ...

Part 1

Part 2

Not saying I'll EVER attempt to condition myself there.

I read an article in Men's Health where a person was trying to determine the most pain sensitive parts of the body. He was intentionally stung by bees at various places. His testicles were 5th or so on the list. A few physicians agreed and stated a lot of it is psychological rather than physiological; your brain is conditioned to be more sensitive to it in order to protect your passing on of genes. I think nose and ears actually ranked higher in physiological pain. If I can find a link I'll post it.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tried to insert this quote in my previous post but didn't.
This.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think nose and ears actually ranked higher in physiological pain. If I can find a link I'll post it.
I'm also not going to let people hit my nose at full strength or clap my ears at full strength for the purpose of a drill either. All 3 are a no-no to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol..You don't have to worry about children. After training like that your junk probably wont' work anyway.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just go to class, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I beg to differ...

Part 1

Part 2

Not saying I'll EVER attempt to condition myself there.

I read an article in Men's Health where a person was trying to determine the most pain sensitive parts of the body. He was intentionally stung by bees at various places. His testicles were 5th or so on the list. A few physicians agreed and stated a lot of it is psychological rather than physiological; your brain is conditioned to be more sensitive to it in order to protect your passing on of genes. I think nose and ears actually ranked higher in physiological pain. If I can find a link I'll post it.

Sacharnoski? Fight Science? Not exactly a credible source for legit martial training methods… lunatics deluding themselves to "condition" themselves in order to live up to a fantasy of what martial arts are (having watched too many of the Shaolin Monk entertainment shows and their parlour tricks) is not something to put up as an argument.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I beg to differ...

A bee sting affects the skin. A kick (or any real pressure) affects the tissue underneath. There's a huge difference there. There's a massive amount of nerve endings there, the body of which runs up in the lower abdomen. This is why you feel pain in your stomache if you're hit in the testicles. No one (unless you're a little *****) has ever passed out from a bee sting. There are instances of guys getting their testes crushed and passing out from it.

Latest Discussions