What I'm doing wrong

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since you've posted in the Karate forum, I'll answer this from a Karate practitioner's point of view.

1. I waste a lot of energy and lack fluidity in my motions.

Keep practicing your fundamental techniques repeatedly, and under the watchful eye of your sensei. If he has a good understanding of bodily mechanics, he can help you refine those fundamental techniques to the point where you'll be performing them using the correct mechanics. In this case, the lower body will greatly aid the upper body in almost all of your techniques, and can certainly speed things up.

Also, the more polished your techniques become, the more easily you can chain them together. This is true regardless of which system you study.

2. My stances can become mechanical. Narrow and natural is best.

A lot of Karate systems that train their practitioners to use deep and rooted stances, do so mostly for conditioning, and to force your lower body to assume more of the load of training. During actual jiyu kumite, you'll be fighting in more of a natural stance, since being flat-footed will slow you down too much.

Again, by practicing the basic techniques, that's when your lower body will generate the correct muscle memory.

3. I think too much. I need to focus on action and reaction.

This is true, that thinking too much will create unwanted delays. This can be remedied by constant practice of the technique, focusing on the quality of the technique, and repeated to the point where you don't have to think about it.

4. I need more exercise. I'm pretty fit but my potential is limited by my lack of exercise.

Keep training, and you'll develop good aerobic and anaerobic conditioning.

5. I don't use the full advantage my height offers.

Having a good reach is a wonderful thing, indeed, but you shouldn't depend on it. Keep strengthening your core, and you'll see more of an advantage over simply trying to formulate strategies based on reach advantages. There's always someone bigger, after all.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
To clarify the stances issue (with what I've been taught, mind you), lower stances aren't necessarily bad, they just have to be used correctly. The thing is, you're not supposed to use them in front of someone and you're not supposed to stay stationary in those stances when in an actual sparring/fighting scenario.

Remember that Wing Chun and Karate are two different theories of self defense, neither of which is right or wrong.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To clarify the stances issue (with what I've been taught, mind you), lower stances aren't necessarily bad, they just have to be used correctly. The thing is, you're not supposed to use them in front of someone and you're not supposed to stay stationary in those stances when in an actual sparring/fighting scenario.

Remember that Wing Chun and Karate are two different theories of self defense, neither of which is right or wrong.

Guy in Australia. Tyler uses a pretty low stance for mma. Doesn't stop him kicking.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vJuA-3Ilzb0

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QUOTE=wimwag;1633020]Rarely. A high snap kick or roundhouse is my poison, and I've got speed to back it up but I just feel like its not the right thing to do once I've done it.

donald1 said:
You and me both, roundhouse kick just isn't my specialty kick but with practice it can be better. You don't have to practice consecutive hours to be good though. You could start with ten GOOD kicks the morning then 15 later that day. Then progress and practice more

I could be wrong but it seems like what would really help would be motivation, without motivation than learning is limited

I also have times where I think too much, let your form happen natural. Don't force a technique

Best of luck

Do you guy's practice kicks with resistance, or just spot a point in the air. If the latter, just wondering how you control and maintain consistency of action.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you guy's practice kicks with resistance, or just spot a point in the air. If the latter, just wondering how you control and maintain consistency of action.

I'm not sure what you mean by resistance, do you mean like a block?

OP
wimwag

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a wooden post with muy Thai pads tied to it. A body bag is not possible because I have nowhere to hang it. I did have a futon pad wrapped around a tree but its been raining lately. It's a poor mans gym lolz

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is a different sort of kick.

Bring the knee up high throw the hip and then snap the kick. The kick goes forward rather than around and you can bring it back if you don't hit anything.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ8sUBUJswc

Latest Discussions