What fiction book are you currently reading?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just finished Wilderness by Zelazney. This was a fictional accounting of the amazing true life survival stories of Mountain Men Jim Coulter and Hugh Glass. Very poetic writing, I was impressed since I haven't read that much of Zelazney outside of his original Amber series.

I am starting Harlan Ellison's "Deathbird Stories," and still trying to plug through Pride and Prejudice.

Lamont

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahem..(clearing dust from throat)....."The Complete Works of Shakespeare".....I have finally found an alternative to NyQuil.....It's just one more thing on my life's "to do" list. I guess it would qualify as a "fiction" book.:uhyeah:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Blink... Blink....

You find Shakespeare boring?

What exactly are you reading? Come on, we are talking about the Bard here! There is some difficulty is interpreting some of the references do to the change in language, but it is still amazing work. I could see where back to back could be tough, try interspersing your reading with other material, or simply alternate the comedies and the dramas.

Don't diss the Bard man! :)

Lamont

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep, that's it....too much all at once. I do agree,though,absolutely astounding stuff. I think it's interesting that he used "entendre" quite a bit,if you know where to look.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I have a problem with reading Shakespeare's plays. I refuse to believe that he wrote them to be read. He wrote them to be seen by an audience.

Now his sonnets are the very definition of poetry. I liked reading them, loved reading them. But seeing Hamlet is just worlds better than reading Hamlet IMHO. there is something that the director and actors bring to the work that makes it a team effort. The excitement that they bring, the emotion, are part of the mix that the Bard meant when he wrote the plays and took part in their production.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I read through much of 'The Complete Works ....' but it was difficult to understand while reading. I caught myself, re-reading passages trying to figure out what did he say?

Enjoy ... but be sure to see them too.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree completely! There is a definite missing dimension to reading the plays as opposed to seeing the performance. The written word doesn't do them any justice. The sonnets,as mentioned before,are in their "natural" environment...so,yeah.What he said.:)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing about the sonnets. They are not "fast food." Written at a time when the written word was rare and precious, they were meant to be taken in slow motion, with attention being paid to each word for it's full effect. Today, we may read a book on the train. That is not what they were written for.

I remember the last time I read the Bard's sonnets. It was a rainy spring day when the flowers in my gardern were in bloom. I took a seat just outside the area where the rain hit with a bottle of sake and cracked open my collection of his works. For the next hour there was nothing more in this world I was interested in. I truely had more wealth than a sultan's realm.

That is the time you should invest if you are going to read Shakespeare's poetry. Sometimes it is nice just to take a little time away from the world and have a conversation with those long gone through the pages of their works.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear you Don, I usually try to get out on the deck with a cup of joe and just sit there reading and winding down. Can't get good sake' around these parts!:drink2tha

Thanks for the advice,though!

P

Patrick Skerry

REMEMBERANCE OF THINGS PAST by Marcel Proust;

maybe it must be read in its original French, because I find it less profound than Melville's MOBY DICK.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Perfumed Sleeve by Laura Joh Rowland - latest in the series about the Sano Ichiro, Sosakan-Sama (most honorable investigator of events, situations and people) of the Tokugawa regime in feudal Japan (1694).

Also R is for Ricochet by Sue Grafton.

S

sifu nick

The Choirboys by Joseph Wambaugh. I read it years ago and decided to pick it up again.

B

bassplayer

Angels & Demons...I dont recall who the author is....just picked it up and couldnt put it down for the first 90 pages!

B

bassplayer

Finshed Angela & Demons. Definitely one for my recommended list! Had a rough time putting it down and finished it this weekend. I loved the mix of science and religion, tying everything in an exhilaratingly plausible manner. I'll be waiting to get my hands on the Da Vinci Code once my fiancee is done with it! Author is Dan Brown, couldnt remember that when I posted before.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was on the plane alot last weekend so I actually got some reading done:

Sharpe's Eagle and Sharpe's Gold by Bernard Cornwell
-Good gritty historical fiction

Reborn by F. Paul Wilson
-pretty mediocre horror, which was too bad, I liked some of this author's previous stuff.

Still working on Pride and Prejudice, I think I have to start over since I picked it up again and I have no idea who all these people are. :uhyeah:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
What nobody else reading anymore? :)

In the last month:

Sharpe's Sword by Bernard Cromwell

Chapterhouse Dune by Herbert

Witchworld 1 by Andre Norton

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I finally picked up Dune and started reading it. And yes, it's quite good so far. :)

J

jaymo

i just finished reading the 11th book in the LS series and "the face" by dean koontz. i'm not sure what i'll read next. i'm in the mood to be scared. any suggestions?

Latest Discussions