What fiction book are you currently reading?

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have read all the Harry Potter books.
Currently I am reading a book calle Eragon. Good book so far. (Don't have much time to read it) It is also a book written for teens but oh well doesn't stop me.

I like the Forgotten Realms books.
R.A Salvatore, Robert Jordan,Terry Goodkind all authors of the books that I read.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just finished "Blade Dancer" by S.L. Viehl. Sort of a science fiction martial arts book, it was strictly ok, interesting training ideas, but I preferred the Steven Perry "Matador" series for this genre. My biggest beef is that this universe is apparently alot like Star Trek, where every species can mate with every other species and have half-breed offspring, that just rubs my biologist brain the wrong way. :)

I just started The Fortune of War by O'Brian, the British navy in the war of 1812. It is nice to see the Americans as the bad guys for once. (That is the way it was supposed to be in the movie Master and Commander: Far Side of the World, but Americans as bad guys is not acceptable in Hollywood.) I highly recommend the entire Jack Aubry series to anyone interested in this period of history. (And Hornblower, never forget Hornblower!)

Lamont

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds interesting Feisty Mouse. I'll have to check it out!
I hope you do! It's got a mystery component to it that I'm enjoying, and the summaries of ancient philosophers' positions are simple without, I hope, being too simplistic.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just finished Colonization: Down to Earth by Turtledove
Just starting God Emperor of Dune by Herbert

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Balance of Power by Richard North Patterson about politics and gun control. It is a continuing cast of characters from Protect and Defend which I read before. Just got into it...good so far. TW

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Re-reading the Dragons of PERN (* Paralell's Earth Resources Nominal *) by Anne McCaffrey

M

marshallbd

MACaver said:
Just finished: Labyrinth by Mark T. Sullivan
Starting: The Cave by Anne McLean Matthews
(what can I say... look at my name heh)
In the middle of Harry Potter Yr. 5 if I can get over to CeiCei's place often enough I can finish it.

To answer your question... rarely has ANY Stephen King book translated well into film. Exceptions have been The Dead Zone (original with Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen), Stand By Me (aka The Body), The Shawshank Redemption, The Shining (new version not with Nicholson and DuVal), and one or two others. The rest were done by directors who were more in to gore (Carrie: Tobe Hooper), or scares (The Shining: Krubrick) or generally had thier own visions of how it should be.

The books will always be better than the movies because King (IMHO) is that good of a writer. Personal favorites are IT and The Stand.
If you like King's stuff, how about Dean Koontz? I really enjoy his stuff, especially "Dark rivers of the heart" and "Intensity"

M

marshallbd

M F said:
Just finsished Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, Morgawr, by Terry Brooks. I don't have anything lined up next. Any suggestions from the Fantasy fans out there? I've read everything by Jordan, Goodkind, Farland, David Drake, George RR Martin, and several others I can't think of right now. Help me out here. :D
Erik Van Lustbader is good....

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just finishing up the fifth book of the Harry Potter series. Good stuff. I was pleasantly surprised by her writing, although the last book is getting a bit tedious.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Just finished Colonization: Down to Earth by Turtledove
Just starting God Emperor of Dune by Herbert
The DUNE series by Herbert IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just got done reading the first two in the new Butlerian Jihad series, waiting for the third and final one to come out some time soon.
I HIGHLY recomend these books to anyone.

Your Brother
John

M

marshallbd

Ronin Moose said:
SENSEI, by John Donohue. He is regular contibutor to the Journal of Asian Martial Arts. There is a brief review of the book at:

http://www.fightingarts.com/estore/catalog_books_tales.shtml

It is an excellent read!
I enjoyed that book as well. Have you read any of the books written by Eric Van Lustbader? I especially enjoyed his series of Nicholas Linnear novels....(nicholas is a modern day ninja who is half japanese half caucasion and is torn between the two cultures). :asian: