What fiction book are you currently reading?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rereading "The Tomb", the first 'Repairman Jack' novel by F. Paul Wilson. I'm reading the earlier printing from the nineties, with it's Betamax players, cassette boomboxes, and typewriters. Hope to get the update version soon.

Cthulhu

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just finished Neuromancer, by William Gibson and am about 3/4 done with Clavell's Shogun.

Next? Taipan, I guess.

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Now I'm working on "Pandora's Star" by Peter F. Hamilton. His last set of books (Neutronium Alchemist, etc.) were pretty much space opera, whereas this is much more of a harder, speculative style. It's pretty good so far. Hamilton's a fairly decent author.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paths of the Dead by Stephen Brust.

It's really only the first part of one big novel, the Viscount of Andrilahnka (sp???? - I know that's wrong) series.
I got a whole stack of nonfiction books for Christmas, so I'll be in the other thread for a while, I guess.

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Recently, and right now:

The last of the Mohicans

Ivanhoe

The Count of Monte Cristo

The Three Musketeers

The Sea Hawk, by Sabatini
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My favorite fiction books of all time are The Nine Princes in Amber series by Roger Zelazny, and The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy by JRR Tolkein.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hard Rain by Barry Eisler, better than the first great urban tactical stuff, nasty knives, and the importance of suprise and range.

Playmates, Ceremony, and Pale Kings and Princes by Parker. More Spenser and Hawk in action. Always good.

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Howard. The first book in a chronological compilation of Conan tales. As a dedicated Sci Fi and Fantasy reader I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that these are the first of the Conan stories I have read.

Legends II: Shortstory compilation, I mostly read it for the Dunk and Egg story as a fix for whenever Martin finishes Feast of Crows.

Lamont

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just finished The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, by Neal Stephenson.

It was excellent.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Crisscross - Latest Repairman Jack book from F. Paul Wilson

Just finished re-reading Bernard Cornwell's 'Warlord Chronicles', in my opinion, the best version of Arthurian legend available. Series is comprised of: The Winter King, Enemy of God, and Excalibur

Cthulhu

M

Missy

"Little Polar Bear and the Brave Little Hare" by Hans de Beer

Only 43 pages long but WOW does it rock ..<wink>

Mis

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good, Bad . . . Better (Harlequin Blaze). I admit, without much shame :rolleyes: , that I'm addicted to romance novels. (I may look like an unabridged dictionary, but I'm a trashy novel at heart.)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling sort of a post-apocalyptic northwest US meets the feudal age book.

I really liked it, but then I would be reasonably well prepared should such a catastrophe takes place. I could finally justify my hobby of collecting large, functional, sharp and pointy implements to my wife. :) I must get into bowmaking though....

Lamont

Schtankybampo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rain Fall, by Barry Eisler

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by JK Rowling

The Fifth Elephant, by Terry Pratchett

and

Stone of Tears, by Tery Goodkind

Yes, all at the same time. I read zonally. One is in the Living room, one in the car, one in the knapsack, one at my desk...

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Schtankybampo ~ I totally understand the zonal reading.

Right now, I finished up Asimov's Foundation, and am into Foundation and Empire. Quick reads, very interesting, never dull.... Asimov is fab.

I'm thinking of starting the Neal Stephenson Baroque trilogy, but it's huge - I'm afraid I'll get lost in it! :)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeppers Zonal reading is all good :)

I'm reading Fred Saberhagen

The Book of the Gods
The Face of Apollo
Ariadne's Web
The Arms of Hercules
God of the Golden Fleece
Gods of Fire and Thunder

I'm on God of the Golden Fleece right now.. can't find The Arms of Hercules around here.. grrr.. but luckily they are each their own tale.
Good reads :)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Morgan~! :)

Yes, Amazon has it and we should all know if we poke the Amazon buttons at the bottom of MT index and purchase.. MT gets a cut :)

I'm just a penniless Martial Artist who relies on the local library for my books unless it's a collection I really want to purchase.. but since we're in the process of building our house.. I am holding back on having to pack even more books~!!
I'll see if the library can get ahold of a copy ;)

L

LT2002

Hope to begin "Rain Storm" by Barry Eisler this week.

Recently finished,
"The way of the warrior" by John Gilbey and
"The Last Juror" and "Bleachers" by Grisham

Latest Discussions