What fiction book are you currently reading?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmm,

Finished "Sensei" a completely forgettable martial arts murder mystery. The next in the series is "Deshi" I suspect I'll miss it. The author is obviously fairly well versed in martial arts, but man it comes across as "traditional styles are best."

I finished "Kingdom River," a post-apocalyptic epic, I liked the world that is presented and the battle descriptions were good, I thought it wrapped up a wee bit fast, but the world building made up for it.

A Game of Empire by Poul Anderson, fun stuff, much better than the early Flandry novels, at least the aliens are well, alien.

What else:
Heroes in hell, edited by Benford/Cherreyh/Drake
Space Dreadnoughts edited by Drake
Firefight 2000 by Dean Ing
Finity's End by Cherryh

And apparently I'm on a Heinlein juvenile kick, since I read "Podkayne of Mars" and am now reading "Have Spacesuit Will Travel."

enough for now,

Lamont

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just started Harlan Ellison's, " 'Repent Harlequin!', Said the Ticktock Man". It's a very short read but an author that I seem to have completely missed during my literary journeys.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Harlan Ellison is an amazing author, most of his stuff is edgy and way out of the bounds of normal sf and fantasy fiction.

I recommend his Dangerous Visions anthologies.

Oh yeah, he was the sf advisor for Babylon 5, that alone gives him high marks in my book. :)

Lamont

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Last bunch of books:

The Ionian Mission - O'Brian
-More Jack Aubry of "Master and Commander Fame" sort of a transitional story, slow in places, but intriguing. Actually it is set immediately before "Far Side of the World." I'm slowly starting to like Jack and Stephen over Hornblower, it is just a little more gritty and real.

Arabesques - fantasy collection set in the Arab world, several interesting short stories

The Magic Goes Away by Niven (older fantasy, interesting in mana mechanics if not in the story itself)

People of the Wolf by W. Michael Gear - Nice historical fiction, solidly grounded in archeology, and far less sex than in Auel's stuff. (not that sex is a bad thing....)

Speaking of sex: The Erotic Spirit edited by Hamill - a book of historical love (and lust) poems from the Egyptians to the present.

The Lord of Castle Black by Brust - more swashbuckling Musketeer style stuff in Dragarea.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently finished reading Ben-Hur for school and I enjoyed it.

Now I'm reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. About a boy and his dragon.
action-smiley-074.gif

Robyn
linktongue.gif

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
M F said:
Just finsished Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, Morgawr, by Terry Brooks. I don't have anything lined up next. Any suggestions from the Fantasy fans out there? I've read everything by Jordan, Goodkind, Farland, David Drake, George RR Martin, and several others I can't think of right now. Help me out here. :D

Id recomend "The Book of Jhereg" by Steven Brust

I am currently re-reading "Wisdom From The Ninja Village of The Cold Moon" by Hayes. a Fictional Account of what Hayes believed the ancient Ninja would have passed down from generation to generation.

T

TigerStripe

Just to pipe in here, I'm currently reading Cloud of Sparrows by Takashi Matsuoka. Pretty entertaining.

M

muaythaifreak

Demons Don't Dream by Piers Anthony. Just finished Dragonriders of Pern by Ann McCaffery. Old fiction and I've read both before, but it's been a while and I found them when I moved recently. If you've never read any of Piers Anthony's stuff, I highly recommend it. Very entertaining.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am currently re-reading the Lord of the Rings. I just relalized, it probably would be considered a racist book if it were not so popular.

Think about it and the way certain books, movies, etc have been called racist recently.

First of all, the good guys are all white, while the villians are dark colored and and sometimes called "The dark powers" etc.

Elves have blond hair and are beautiful. Orks are black and ugly. The good guys all seem to have European- style names and are so much more competent than the sub- humans with their funny names.

Oh, if there probably wasn't already a movement against the book on these grounds somewhere in cyberspace, I would be tempted to laugh.

M

marshallbd

Currently reading the "Nicholas Linnear" books by Erik Van Lustabader. They are Corporate espionage/Martial Arts (With some fantasy mixed in) set in Modern Times in Japan/America. I enjoy them. (The Ninja, The Miko, White Ninja, The Kaisho, Floating City and one more I havent found yet and can't recall the title)

Also am going to start "Grass for his Pillow" by Liam Hearn. It is book two in the "Tales of the Otori" trilogy about a young boy in Fuedal Japan who is learning about a his past as he discovers his mystical powers of the "tribe" (Sounds like Ninjutsu stuff) but very well written and enjoyable. The first book is called "Across the Nightingale Floor" :asian:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
Currently reading the "Nicholas Linnear" books by Erik Van Lustabader. They are Corporate espionage/Martial Arts (With some fantasy mixed in) set in Modern Times in Japan/America. I enjoy them. (The Ninja, The Miko, White Ninja, The Kaisho, Floating City and one more I havent found yet and can't recall the title)

Uh... I forget which was the other one from that series... Zero, or Second Skin... it was one of those two...

I also read his "Sunset Warrior" novels. (Sci-fi) They were ok.

Interesting enough (or not, if you dont care) Lustbader also wrote the lyrics to the Blue Oyster Cult song "Shadow Warrior" off their "Club Ninja" album.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Re-reading Donalson's Thomas Covenant books and starting Farenheit 451 for the first time.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am currently re-reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I have all the books of the series, all are good but the first (Ender's Game) is the best.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Legacies by F. Paul Wilson. I always heard good things about this author, I just haven't gotten around to him until now.

Lamont

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Legacies by F. Paul Wilson. I always heard good things about this author, I just haven't gotten around to him until now.

Lamont

I highly recommend all of his books with the 'Repairman Jack' character. Very good.

Currently re-reading Chapterhouse: Dune.

Cthulhu

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. My sister loaned it to me. A fiction book about the history of philosophy. So far, so good!

Latest Discussions