What fiction book are you currently reading?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just finished
Dune: House Atreides

Can't say that I really liked it, something about that book just didn't jibe with me, maybe it was the writing style.

Horblower During the Crisis.

Fast read, two short stories and one unfinished story, I'm glad I picked it up used, but Crisis had alot of potential. That finishes Hornblower for me, I've got O'Brian's Post Captian on order.

Just started:
Paying the Piper by David Drake.

Pretty standard Hammer's Slammers stuff so far.

Ongoing:
The Winter King by Bernard Cornwall

I've been reading alot of Arthurian fiction over the last year and I'm at that point in the story arc where you know "this just can't end well." I'm having a hard time getting through that, so it has been sitting alone for awhile.

R

rmcrobertson

Ed Ruggiero and Robert K. Tannenbaum, for what I recently realized is their brilliant exposition of, "the fog of war."

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Pleasure of My Company, by Steve Martin

I really enjoyed his Shopgirl, though I found the ending a little weak.

P

pknox

About 1/3 of my way through the one-volume set of The Lord of the Rings (just finished The Fellowship of the Ring, and started on The Two Towers). The last time I read it I think I was 16 -- it sure makes a lot more sense now. :cool:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just finished the three books based on the X-Box game Halo, The Fall of Reach, The Flood, and First Strike. before that, I had read The Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony...the man is a hysterical writer. Now I'm reading The Gunslinger by Stephen King...kinda slow and strange...but hey, it's Stephen King, go figure.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
The Patchwork Girl of Oz, L. Frank Baum

I LOVE the Oz books! I grew up with my mom reading them out loud, then my sister did it, then me when I was old enough. :)

My Sensei is a fellow Lord of the Ring fan and he bought me The Silmarillion which I've never read before and I'm currently reading and enjoying now.

Robyn :asian:

P

pknox

George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones (first book in the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series)

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Opal Dragon
I LOVE the Oz books! I grew up with my mom reading them out loud, then my sister did it, then me when I was old enough.

My 9 y.o. daughter loves them and is making me read them so I can share Oz with her. I don't mind. It was neat reading the first one since the movie is so famous.

She was a Sailor Moon fan, but it hasn't been shown here for so long that she's lost interest!

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
My 9 y.o. daughter loves them and is making me read them so I can share Oz with her. I don't mind. It was neat reading the first one since the movie is so famous.

She was a Sailor Moon fan, but it hasn't been shown here for so long that she's lost interest!

That's really neat! I'm glad your daughter is enjoying the books. The original Oz book by Baum are awesome of course but the Oz books written by Ruth Plumly Thompson are really good too (and there are a good number of them)! :) I love the humor and the play on words. :p

I taped my favorite animes when they were on TV and I'm glad I did as some of them aren't on anymore as you've said. I started watching some of those tapes a couple of months ago. (Outlaw Star first, and now I'm watching Tenshi Muyo. Next, I'll probably watch Sailor Moon.) :)

Robyn :asian:

M

Matt Bernius

Just got up to the third book in A Cantical for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

It's been excellent and provactive reading. After that it's on to some nonfiction for a while.

- Matt

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laurell Hamilton's 'Anita Blake Vampire Executioner' Series..*not for kids~!*

Just finished the 4th in David Farland's 'RuneLord' series.. excellent read if you like Sword/Sorcery fantasy..

Been listening to some audiobooks, The LOTR and Harry Potter are Excellent~!!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just got up to the third book in A Cantical for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

There are sequels to Canticle??! Cool, I loved the first book.

Just finished:

Gold from Crete by C.S. Forster, WWII naval and aerial warfare.

In keeping with the nautical theme, I just finished Far Side of the World by O'Brian. Very different from the movie. I just started Post Captian by the same author. Good stuff, I love the subtle humor.

Lamont

M

Matt Bernius

Originally posted by Blindside
There are sequels to Canticle??! Cool, I loved the first book.

Ooops, probably should have written that better. I'm reading the third "sub" book of Canticle (it's essentially broken into three interconnected novellas).

But there is a sequel called "Saint Liebowitz and the Wild Horse Woman." I don't really know anything about it though,

- Matt

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Finished:
Post Captain by O'Brien
Redcoat by Bernard Cromwell
Limits by Larry Niven

Gotta grab something new off the shelf....

Lamont

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now or recently:
Tik-Tok of Oz, L. Frank Baum

The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien

Starship Troopers, R. Heinlein

Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just tracked down the original Space Opera books by E. E. Smith: The Skylark novels (Skylark of Space, Skylark Three, Skylark of Valeron, and Skylark DuQuesne). I just finished the first two. I also picked up his Lensman series. Very interesting. The Skylark books take great delight in one-upping itself nearly every chapter.

Latest Discussions