What fiction book are you currently reading?

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm reading Dies the Fire by SM Stirling. It's set in our present time when all technology fails, causing civilization to collapse. Pretty gritty book with cannibalism and rediscovery of fighting with weapons like swords. I even found the description of farming with horse-pulled plows to be interesting.

Recommended by me. It's one of the better books I've read in the last couple of years.
Have read all but the most recent book of the series. I still think the first book was the best, but the series is not bad. Having been in the SCA (medieval re-enactment), I found some of the groups that arise interesting and disturbing...tis a good read and I also recommend!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now reading Aftershock & Others 19 Oddities by F Paul Wilson.
Short stories...

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just finished a James Patterson, Double Cross. It was my second ever JP book, the first one I read a few years ago. Double Cross had extremely short chapters and was light on descriptives and character development; it seemed like a Reader's Digest version of a thriller. OTOH the plot was masterfully done to keep me guessing and trying to stay one step ahead. I think JP would probably appeal to the "cut to the chase" types, if this was any indication of his usual style.
This is the 13th book in the Alex Cross series so a lot of the main character development was done a long time ago, and over a few books. But yeah he does write at a quick pace and his plots are usually pretty interesting and keep you guessing.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now I'm reading Black Wind by F Paul Wilson. When I finish it, I won't have anything to read...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sir Apropos of Nothing By Peter David. VERY FUNNY. David's use of the English language is masterful!

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Big Don, how was AfterShock? Now that I have read a few fiction novels again I am acquiring an appetite for them. ( I can blow thru fiction at a rate of 600 page book 4 hours, sucks! Off to the flea mart I go.)
lori

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Big Don, how was AfterShock? Now that I have read a few fiction novels again I am acquiring an appetite for them. ( I can blow thru fiction at a rate of 600 page book 4 hours, sucks! Off to the flea mart I go.)
lori
It was good. I just don't like short stories. That and Wilson prefaced EVERY story with a page of whatever was going on in his life at the time he wrote it, that, I just didn't give a rat's *** about...

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just finished Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns (by Khaled Hosseini). Very pull-on-your-heartstrings kinds of stories, set mainly in Afghanastan over a period of a few decades in the late 20th century.

As I read these books, I could not help but think that the writing was very good and compelling, while yet wondering how much of their success as smash bestsellers could be attributed more to the timeliness of their post-9/11 publishing. Just after 9/11, suddenly the topic of Islam became hot. I recall reading that sales of the Koran skyrocketed. The Kite Runner shows up in the midst of this social phenomenon, a story about a moderate Muslim family living in Afghanastan. There is a clearly communicated love of Hosseini's homeland and culture permeating the text. The themes touch on racial discrimination, social class, morality and personal responsibility. The plot also strongly highlights the differences between the peacable average muslim and the radical extremists of the Taliban. Perhaps the post-9/11 American readers, hungry for insight into this issue, snapped up Kite Runner for its reassuring take on moderate and tolerant muslims as for any other reason. If we Americans can believe that Hosseini represents the voice of the average man-on-the-street in the middle east, we can have hope for peace.

Regardless, it was a good story, well-written. A Thousand Splendid Suns is arguably even better; a very personal fiction about the plight of some Afghan women who experience firsthand the oppressive results of Taliban rule and the general misogyny of their culture well before that. I had to marvel at how well Hosseini seems to understand the female perspective. He'd make a good Romance author if he were so inclined to try his hand at it.

What I took away from both stories is that they were strong indictments against mixing religion and state.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just finished Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns (by Khaled Hosseini). Very pull-on-your-heartstrings kinds of stories, set mainly in Afghanastan over a period of a few decades in the late 20th century.

As I read these books, I could not help but think that the writing was very good and compelling, while yet wondering how much of their success as smash bestsellers could be attributed more to the timeliness of their post-9/11 publishing. Just after 9/11, suddenly the topic of Islam became hot. I recall reading that sales of the Koran skyrocketed. The Kite Runner shows up in the midst of this social phenomenon, a story about a moderate Muslim family living in Afghanastan. There is a clearly communicated love of Hosseini's homeland and culture permeating the text. The themes touch on racial discrimination, social class, morality and personal responsibility. The plot also strongly highlights the differences between the peacable average muslim and the radical extremists of the Taliban. Perhaps the post-9/11 American readers, hungry for insight into this issue, snapped up Kite Runner for its reassuring take on moderate and tolerant muslims as for any other reason. If we Americans can believe that Hosseini represents the voice of the average man-on-the-street in the middle east, we can have hope for peace.

Regardless, it was a good story, well-written. A Thousand Splendid Suns is arguably even better; a very personal fiction about the plight of some Afghan women who experience firsthand the oppressive results of Taliban rule and the general misogyny of their culture well before that. I had to marvel at how well Hosseini seems to understand the female perspective. He'd make a good Romance author if he were so inclined to try his hand at it.

What I took away from both stories is that they were strong indictments against mixing religion and state.
A Thousand Splendid Suns was an eye opener for me. I will admit I had been ignorant of the circumstances and the brutality that the various coups and regimes had imposed in Afganistan. A beautifully poignant and well-drawn read. I am sure I had a tear in places :)

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm trying really hard to get into James Patterson, on the premise that he must be such a huge, longtime bestselling author for a reason. I just can't seem to pin down that reason, except to suppose that in his horror/thrillers he does display some good mastermind plotting abilities. Certainly his writing is no feat of talent IMO, which may explain why I enjoyed the movie adaptations of Along Came A Spider and Kiss the Girls more than the lone Alex Cross book I read, Double Cross.

In his Romance genre, I've tried Sunday at Tiffany's and Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. (These were all lent to me by my mom btw--I have a hard time passing up free reading material). In my previous post on Sunday at Tiffany's, I speculated that the "voice" of the main character was lent its charm and wit more by Patterson's coauthor, as said charm and wit was entirely absent from his Thrillers I read. But then, maybe Romance is really his opportunity to spread his wings so to speak and develop better dialog? Nope, SDfN just confirmed for me that Patterson is no great shakes at dialog, as that one was written alone. But boy, does he ever know how to pour on the syrup! Patterson's second talent, apparently, is his keen knack for idealized, iconic stereotypes of Perfect Boyfriend, Perfect Girlfriend, Saintly Mom, etc. whilst delivering a schmaltzly brand of emotionalism previously unheard of in seven countries. I found myself getting impatient about half way through, starting a chapter titled "Diary" and realizing after the first couple of sentences that it was yet another diabetic coma-inducing homage of Suzanne to her wonderful husband, her perfect baby, and how lucky she was to have such a good life. I began to skip paragraphs in frustration, something I rarely do. The "chemistry" between the lead characters is similarly so idealized as to have little flavor--these people never have arguments, never even snip at one another, the men always know the perfect thing to say and do, and their jokes are so cutesy I nearly gagged a few times. Yup, archetypes. Boring.

Well, maybe that's too hard on JP, there are clearly a lot of people that eat this stuff up and love it. I must lack the gene for sugar-appreciation or something. I merely like my fictional characters to have a third dimension now and again.

Could somebody please point me in the direction of a JP (perhaps his earlier Alex Cross stuff, as somebody suggested?) in which we can see noticeable character development, interesting dialog, descriptive details of any kind? I really want to know what all the fuss over him is all about. I'm willing to give JP one last shot, I will even buy the book if necessary!!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Girlbug, it sounds like you've tried a decent sampling of his work and didn't like it. Maybe he's just not your thing. Why keep trying? There are thousands of writers out there that might be more to your liking.

I had the same kind of experience with Dean Koontz. So many people love the guy, but after trying to choke down a couple of his stories I realized that he wasn't for me and moved on.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do NOT buy Patterson's books! He writes in the 2 page chapters in such a style as to encourage fast reading. Swimsuit at 391 pages lasted less than 12 hours, with a karate class, dinner, and several hours online...

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Girlbug, it sounds like you've tried a decent sampling of his work and didn't like it. Maybe he's just not your thing. Why keep trying? There are thousands of writers out there that might be more to your liking.

Yeah, I'm just about there. Still, if somebody can recommend me a JP book that they feel is genuinely well written (as opposed to "good plot that kept me guessing") I'd be open. Like I said, I'm trying to understand what everybody else apparently sees in him.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He's certainly entertaining. Entertainment isn't always the classics...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm trying really hard to get into James Patterson, on the premise that he must be such a huge, longtime bestselling author for a reason. I just can't seem to pin down that reason, except to suppose that in his horror/thrillers he does display some good mastermind plotting abilities. Certainly his writing is no feat of talent IMO, which may explain why I enjoyed the movie adaptations of Along Came A Spider and Kiss the Girls more than the lone Alex Cross book I read, Double Cross.

In his Romance genre, I've tried Sunday at Tiffany's and Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. (These were all lent to me by my mom btw--I have a hard time passing up free reading material). In my previous post on Sunday at Tiffany's, I speculated that the "voice" of the main character was lent its charm and wit more by Patterson's coauthor, as said charm and wit was entirely absent from his Thrillers I read. But then, maybe Romance is really his opportunity to spread his wings so to speak and develop better dialog? Nope, SDfN just confirmed for me that Patterson is no great shakes at dialog, as that one was written alone. But boy, does he ever know how to pour on the syrup! Patterson's second talent, apparently, is his keen knack for idealized, iconic stereotypes of Perfect Boyfriend, Perfect Girlfriend, Saintly Mom, etc. whilst delivering a schmaltzly brand of emotionalism previously unheard of in seven countries. I found myself getting impatient about half way through, starting a chapter titled "Diary" and realizing after the first couple of sentences that it was yet another diabetic coma-inducing homage of Suzanne to her wonderful husband, her perfect baby, and how lucky she was to have such a good life. I began to skip paragraphs in frustration, something I rarely do. The "chemistry" between the lead characters is similarly so idealized as to have little flavor--these people never have arguments, never even snip at one another, the men always know the perfect thing to say and do, and their jokes are so cutesy I nearly gagged a few times. Yup, archetypes. Boring.

Well, maybe that's too hard on JP, there are clearly a lot of people that eat this stuff up and love it. I must lack the gene for sugar-appreciation or something. I merely like my fictional characters to have a third dimension now and again.

Could somebody please point me in the direction of a JP (perhaps his earlier Alex Cross stuff, as somebody suggested?) in which we can see noticeable character development, interesting dialog, descriptive details of any kind? I really want to know what all the fuss over him is all about. I'm willing to give JP one last shot, I will even buy the book if necessary!!

I hear you, there are many "popular" authors I just cannot get into. Sure they are bestsellers, that does not mean that they are good, maybe they just cater to the lowest common denominator. Guys like Stephen king, Dean Koontz, James Paterson, Dan Brown, etc just don't do a thing for me. Though I do love a good Clancy, Ludlum, and such, I'm a sucker for a good techno-thriller or spy novel.