What fiction book are you currently reading?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just finished "Everybody Smokes in Hell" by John Ridley. HILARIOUS. :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Charles de Lint “The Onion Girl” – I am all taken now by dreamlands and native American mysticism and I am very very grateful to whoever it was that recommended the author to me here :)

Any other suggestions for contemporary fantasy would be appreciated :) Thank you

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Relentless by Dean Koontz only a couple of pages in, I'll let you know.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Century Rain by Alistair Reynolds. Though I'm not a frequent reader of hard sci-fi I've been very impressed with Reynolds, for his writing style and subject matter, and am working through all of his stuff. I'm not loving Century Rain as much as some of his other books, but it's still a pretty good story.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Relentless is GOOD! He didn't ruin this one!
Now, I am reading The Scarecrow, by Michael Connelly

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I haven't had much time for reading recently, but I did manage some popcorn reading of whatever subset of fantasy deals with vampires/werewolves/mages etc in the modern world. I read the first two of Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series, the first two of Butcher's "the Dresden Files," and two of Harrison's "The Hollows" series. All of these worlds tend to blend together, and quite frankly they aren't all that memorable. I enjoyed Briggs' series because it takes place in the Tri-Cities of Washington where I moved last year and apparently the lair of the evil vampire/demon/mage/can't really remember now is a couple of blocks from my house. Also there should be a martial arts studio run by a 200 year old alpha werewolf a couple blocks in the other direction, I'm still on the look out for that one. Actually, of the three authors I think I enjoyed Harrison's the best.

In a desperate search for something different I tried a Louis Lamour novel "The Walking Drum," the setting was great for 12th century Europe and the Byzantine Empire, but the main character was too much the uber-hero, the master warrior/scholar and all around renaissance man.

Besides that I'm reading David Wolstencroft "Contact Zero" which is a good spy novel, a bit thin in places but good overall reading.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Charles de Lint “The Onion Girl” – I am all taken now by dreamlands and native American mysticism and I am very very grateful to whoever it was that recommended the author to me here :)

Any other suggestions for contemporary fantasy would be appreciated :) Thank you
Jenna,
Have you read an T A Barron? Neil Gaiman? I'd recommend both authors if you haven't. I go through spurts with De Lint. I understand he just put out a new novel in the Newford universe. It's on my list.

I just finished an oddly intriguing book called the Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross. If you are into Cthlulu mixed with tech nerd, that would be an author for you.

I also just finished a popcorn mystery by Sarah Graves, Triple Witch of the home repair is homicide series (?). Light and entertaining.

But I am really excited, as I'm about to sink my teeth into the latest
Honor Harrington addition by David Weber, Storm from the Shadows, I've read good and bad reviews, but I really like the characters and he writes in a way that has me interested in ship design, tactics, and the mathematical calculations behind them...which surprised me. Good stuff with several strong and intriguing female warriors.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm reading Dies the Fire by SM Stirling. It's set in our present time when all technology fails, causing civilization to collapse. Pretty gritty book with cannibalism and rediscovery of fighting with weapons like swords. I even found the description of farming with horse-pulled plows to be interesting.

Recommended by me. It's one of the better books I've read in the last couple of years.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jenna,
Have you read an T A Barron? Neil Gaiman? I'd recommend both authors if you haven't. I go through spurts with De Lint. I understand he just put out a new novel in the Newford universe. It's on my list.

I just finished an oddly intriguing book called the Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross. If you are into Cthlulu mixed with tech nerd, that would be an author for you.

I also just finished a popcorn mystery by Sarah Graves, Triple Witch of the home repair is homicide series (?). Light and entertaining.

But I am really excited, as I'm about to sink my teeth into the latest
Honor Harrington addition by David Weber, Storm from the Shadows, I've read good and bad reviews, but I really like the characters and he writes in a way that has me interested in ship design, tactics, and the mathematical calculations behind them...which surprised me. Good stuff with several strong and intriguing female warriors.
Thank you Shana for replying, that is very very kind of you :) Neil Gaiman, yes I have seen the movies Stardust Coraline and am always wary of reading novels post-movies and but yes, Neverwhere I read on a recommendation, yours maybe?? So thank you for that :) Yes I do so love HP Lovecraft, specially shorts Randolph Carter, Mountains of Madness etc though could never dig into Cthulu but I will certainly look up Charles Stross. Goodness, you are so widely read, I do not even think I have heard of TA Barron. Thank you for these recommendations Shana I really truly appreciate it :)

I am reading Iain Banks "Matter" and which is so deftly characterised and adeptly stylised and with such phenomenally conceived technologies and landscapes, I am completely captivated and engrossed and I am grateful that there is a little more length in the novel for the story to spread itself into.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just finished World War Z by Max Brooks. As good as the hype said it was. Finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. mehh
Think I'll see if I can find Dies the Fire and Everybody Smokes in Hell. ( I'm betting Jade has good taste)
lori

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I loved World War Z! I should buy it, ended up reading it on a trip to the library when it caught my eye on the shelf. The Road I loved too, it's not my favorite by McCarthy, but it's pretty cool.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lisey's Story- Stephen King

Recently finished the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, love that dude's imagination.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well maybe I'll try The Road again in a few months. Perhaps I missed something in the first read. As a journalist Omar you must have seen something I didn't. hhhmmmmm. Cheers
lori

sempai little1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am just about finished Lamb, the gospel according to Biff. Jesus' childhood friend.
It is a story told by Jesus' best friend Biff. It takes place from when the bible leaves him as an infant and picks up when he is proclaimed the messiah.
It is a funny and light hearted story. Fairly easy and fast read.
Your friend,
Sempai Little1 :wavey:

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just finished a James Patterson, Double Cross. It was my second ever JP book, the first one I read a few years ago. Double Cross had extremely short chapters and was light on descriptives and character development; it seemed like a Reader's Digest version of a thriller. OTOH the plot was masterfully done to keep me guessing and trying to stay one step ahead. I think JP would probably appeal to the "cut to the chase" types, if this was any indication of his usual style.

My mom also lent me a new romance coauthored by JP and Gabrielle Charbonnet, whose name is put in much smaller typeface on the cover. Titled Sundays at Tiffany's. About 1/3 into it, ironically I see a lot less of JP's writing style than his coauthor's. Kind of cute and light, a beachy read.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well maybe I'll try The Road again in a few months. Perhaps I missed something in the first read. As a journalist Omar you must have seen something I didn't. hhhmmmmm. Cheers
lori

LOL. It's pretty dismal but once you crack the first few chapters you get into a groove and can find the lightness and joy the characters share. Be warned though, it's pretty damn disturbing at times.