What drills

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are your lease favorite drills in TKD and why are they your lease favorite drills?
Terry

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to answer my own question mine would be shadow sparring< I know the benefits from it I just can't seem to get into it like some I know, I guess I like the contact.
Terry

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sparring. Cause the gear. We did this cool drill tonight that had to do with sparring (basically sparring combos), but the dang gear ..... The vest sucks because it restricts some kicks, and I sweat like a pig. I think I can get away with no head gear, too (very few people kick that high. If they do, it's light contact to the head). And the sparring rules. I'd rather have contact, too. But we wear to much stinkin gear.

Other than that, there's not much I don't like.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
My *least* favorite are speed drills; such as kicking a pad ot bag as fast as you can over and over, either with one foot or switching feet. At my age/weight/experience combination (36,180,3rd gup), the constant changing in body rotation direction is awkward and my speed itsn't hat good. I've gotten a lot better at it recently, but it's still not something I enjoy.

My *favorite* drill is probably anything where I'm feeling loose and fast and strong and everything is just flowing at that point. Not always the same technique, but it feels good when it all comes together at one point

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Least Favorite: Any type of drill involving the "Circle of Death" or "Person attacks in a random fashion, you come up with your own counter on the fly". They seriously tick me off and I never saw the value in them.

Most Favorite: Technique application drills/sparring

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
Least Favorite: Any type of drill involving the "Circle of Death" or "Person attacks in a random fashion, you come up with your own counter on the fly". They seriously tick me off and I never saw the value in them.

Most Favorite: Technique application drills/sparring

I'm almost the opposite of you there. I love the "circle of death" (or where I go- bull in the ring). I like thinking on my feet. I'm not real thrilled about sparring.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm almost the opposite of you there. I love the "circle of death" (or where I go- bull in the ring). I like thinking on my feet. I'm not real thrilled about sparring.

Its not so much the "thinking on my feet", but how the drill is usually applied. The attacker throws a random technique, then more or less stays like that until you are done. I either just evade and go, "Ok....you missed...your the bad guy...don't stop..." or I throw a counter and get "lost" because I expect my partner to react and then it just become a game of you throwing techniques and it bugs me. If they do move and counter your counters, then it is sparring.

If I want to work on technique application, then I will do partner drills and work on isolating those movements. If I want to learn how to react to unpredictable opponents, then I will spar and adjust the rules to fit what I want. Otherwise I am just wasting my time throw random techniques on a compliant partner.

[/RANT OFF!!]

As you can tell, I don't like that drill. ^^

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand that dislike. I like it because you don't know where the attack is coming from.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dislike: Once in a while we do this hacky sack thing. You are suppposed to roll a ball up on one foot, then front kick it up, to then do a round kick or a spin heel. Cannot see the value of that in regard to TKD at all. Can't get into it beyond the pop up and doing it once in a while is an exercise in frustration. And then why bother. We already do spin heels to thrown up balls anyway.

Like: I like spin heels on focus paddles the best and no this is not the same thing as the above exercise as I never get to the last part. TW

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Just to answer my own question mine would be shadow sparring< I know the benefits from it I just can't seem to get into it like some I know, I guess I like the contact.
Terry

I gotta co-sign this.
I cant stand shadow sparring.
Pointless to me.
I also dislike sparring with rules. Too many rules prevents you from doing what comes natural.

I NEED FREEDOM!!!! :)

Otherwise I like everything else.

Latest Discussions