Steven Lopez Olympic athlete

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have made the same mistake if I didn't have a complete list of over the counter meds that are not acceptable. It didn't sound like he did know a vapor inhaler could have L-methamphetamine. A honest mistake, probably. I doubt he would endanger his future in TKD knowingly. TW

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Sounds like another case of the anti-doping rules being taken to extremes. It obviously wasn't an intentional violation.

For my own curiosity, just how much L-methamphetamine can someone get from a vapor inhaler anyways? Enough to enhance their athletic performance?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YEa I believe it was a mistake and the rules are in plain view what is consider illegal, I hope this will show the younger generation to be careful of over the counter medicine and to follow all the rules by the committee.
terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Zepp. If you can buy it over the counter, I don't think it should be a violation. I am sure it was unintentional, but with the capability of measuring minute trace amounts of anything in the body, it seems there should be some common-sense. If you have to use an inhaler or take cold medicine, it should not be a violation.

Mr. Lopez admitted responsibility for his mistake though. In my book he is still a super example for our young people. He accepted the punishment and will likely be back stronger than ever after the suspension.

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
For my own curiosity, just how much L-methamphetamine can someone get from a vapor inhaler anyways? Enough to enhance their athletic performance?

Apparently not in this case, no. This is an extreme case, but it may be beneficial in the long run. A lesser competitor may have gotten away with it, but high profile athletes can just as quickly set a bad example as a good one. To let him go may have sent a very bad message. If they'll gun for Steven, they'll gun for you. Don't do it!

It won't hurt him in the long run and I agree he's still a great example to follow.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Miles said:
If you can buy it over the counter, I don't think it should be a violation.

Well, I don't know if I agree with that entirely. I understand why testosterone-building supplements like androstenedione aren't legal in sports. And I believe they should regulate stimulant use in competition. It just seems overkill to me that they react so harshly towards stimulant use that obviously wasn't taken for performance-enhancing reasons.

(And the ban on Sudafed in the Winter Olympics is just cruel.)

Latest Discussions