What drew you to take up Wing chun?

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Teeth? Now that conjures up a really disturbing picture. Sorry, my fault for posting the image. Time to move on. Please!

Sorry, but you opened this can of worms.

Speaking of worms...like gummis much?

largest-gummy-worm.gif

UGHH. Is that image even allowed on this site?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but you opened this can of worms.

Speaking of worms...like gummis much?

largest-gummy-worm.gif

UGHH. Is that image even allowed on this site?

Did you intend to post it on Marital Talk?.....Easy mistake

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, my immaturity was entirely intentional but I so did NOT need to go there.
Before I get myself banned for polluting this thread with such unsettling images I shall make amends by offering up my own reply to the OP:

I trained for nearly a decade in another Southern style, when a move across the continent left me looking for another MA to study. I stopped in for some trial lessons at various schools that had so little unrehearsed contact to make me realize that what I was really missing was the hand-to-hand contact training that I had done in my previous KF drills.

Now, having been around other martial artists I had seen WC being practiced, and I had always regarded this 'chisao' exercise as a quaint little dance that looked, frankly, a little wimpy. Nevertheless, it would seem to meet my hand-to-hand contact requirement so when a web search popped up a WC class I decided to check it out.

Here I am, feeling all tough-guy from my years of experience, showing up at some guy's dusty suburban garage. Where's the swanky studio with hardwood floors, the long weapon racks, the banners, the neat white tee-shirts? When the sifu invited me in, a Chinese gent nearly a foot shorter than me and a couple of decades my senior, I figured I could probably steamroll right through him. With a smile he gave me several opportunities to try.

All of us WC'ers know how it feels (I hope) when you first cross hands with someone who's got serious skill, so you all know how that went.
Suffice to say, the more aggressive energy I came on with, the harder I felt myself falling into a hole

Yeah. Kinda like that. But with spikes at the bottom.
As they say, try before you buy. I was sold.

Latest Discussions