What drew you to take up Wing chun?

theway

White Belt
Reaction score
I know you views on Wing chun may have changed since you started it. Maybe you learned really what it was about

But what initially made you take it up?

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wanting to better understand the thoughts behind jkd that bruce was trying to convey. After getting into it, I see the benefits, philosophy's and fell in love with it. I'll take effective over flashy any day.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
A very small women who later became one of my instructors threw punches at my face so fast I could not see them.
I joined up straight away.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's a great movie. One of my favorites But let's not forget Warriors Two.:bangahead:

Are these movies on netflix? I've seen the movie Wing Chun and it was kinda weird. The best fight scene in the movie was at the end.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally the first time was due to being offered a flyerfor that particular Sifu and his school. At the time, I was doing someintensive sessions with Mr Daniels and Mrs Smirnoff. As such, I defeated myselfbefore I started. I also did not view Kung Fu as something that I would be interestedin. in my complete ignorance, and probable disrespect, It simply was not comprehensibleto me as to why you would use several movements when a decent upper cut wouldsuffice.
So now for my Kung Fu reboot. This time without the attachedignorance and because I actually want to take up this art and hopefully flourishalong with it in everyday life.

mysurvive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Haha, actually I decided Wing Chun because someone on here suggested that I try it. I gave some criteria of what I was looking for in the beginner's section, and someone messaged me with a contact and said to try wing chun. I went to the kwoon and Sifu explained to me and showed me how wing chun works and WHY it works... I threw him my money 2 days later.

I've only been going for a month, but I couldn't be more proud or happy with my fresh 'newbie learning tan sao against a right hook' bruises up my forearm.

I've also proudly lost 15 pounds in the month. I love it so much haha.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Haha, actually I decided Wing Chun because someone on here suggested that I try it. I gave some criteria of what I was looking for in the beginner's section, and someone messaged me with a contact and said to try wing chun. I went to the kwoon and Sifu explained to me and showed me how wing chun works and WHY it works... I threw him my money 2 days later.

I've only been going for a month, but I couldn't be more proud or happy with my fresh 'newbie learning tan sao against a right hook' bruises up my forearm.

I've also proudly lost 15 pounds in the month. I love it so much haha.

There are lots of different opinion for/against the Tan Sao vs. a hook/hay maker. Since it is part of your training, combine it with the Yu Ma ... thereby deflecting and spreading out the force on the forearm instead of taking blunt force on an small area. Clashing of force is not the way.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are lots of different opinion for/against the Tan Sao vs. a hook/hay maker. Since it is part of your training, combine it with the Yu Ma ... thereby deflecting and spreading out the force on the forearm instead of taking blunt force on an small area. Clashing of force is not the way.

Yeah exactly , personally I don't like it.
But if you are going to do it , make sure you do it properly .
To avoid clashing , keep the Tan Sau relaxed and rotate the forearm on contact.
Pivot or step in with a pivot , and make sure your Tan Sau and body are orientated towards where the force is coming from to avoid the Tan Sau being collapsed from the side.

Lastly , as with everything in Wing Chun getting your counter strike out as fast as you can will greatly mitigate the amount of force that your Tan Sau will have to deal with.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hadn't trained previously but a friend who trained in Lau Gar wanted to try an Ip Man lineage school so we went down for a few months, he didn't carry on training and I'm still there to this day.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah exactly , personally I don't like it.
But if you are going to do it , make sure you do it properly .
To avoid clashing , keep the Tan Sau relaxed and rotate the forearm on contact.
Pivot or step in with a pivot , and make sure your Tan Sau and body are orientated towards where the force is coming from to avoid the Tan Sau being collapsed from the side.

Lastly , as with everything in Wing Chun getting your counter strike out as fast as you can will greatly mitigate the amount of force that your Tan Sau will have to deal with.

In my opinion tan isn't strong enough structure for the application, the power can be too much.
I love high fuk sau with a slight turn to face the incoming energy, elbow is strong aswell as an answer of my own to the face or chest.

Manseau

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I got out of the service in 72 and returned to the Northwest. Bruce Lee was a rising star but there was no Wing Chun in Portland, Or. I was fortunate enough to meet a student of Jesse Glover and trained with him for over a year. That initial training was what opened the door in this art for me. I met Jesse at a Seminar in Portland and he always impressed me as a reserved and gentle person. However, when you stuck with him, you could never get in and usually ended up with a red chest for your trouble. He passed away a short time ago but influenced a lot of people. RIP Mr. Glover. I've restarted my training over the last four years and will likely continue for the rest of my life. Regards, David

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." Gerald Ford 1974 Looks like Gerald could see the future.

IYWC

White Belt
Reaction score
Love this question!

The basics of my story was I used to play football (soccer) at a semi-professional level looking to get into the pros but was cursed with a series of hamstring injuries so I took up yoga to stretch it out but wanted to do something more and came across my instructor randomly by us working in the same DIY store and he showed me some moves and I was like damn I gotta learn that S***! The also taught me a lot about body mechanics and fixed the issue I had with my hamstrings so I could continue my football career... BUT I fell in love with WC and that was it, stuck to it and now I'm and instructor myself!

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Having taken real Tae Kwon Do and bootleg Kung Fu...showing up for a so called sissy style invented by a woman.....and getting my *** handed to me by a lower level student and then the Instructor....I was convinced.after about ten classes and then a seminar conducted by Dr.Leung Ting. It is when I learned how to "borrow" and it stuck.I was amazed.also it is when I un-learned hard,and learned how to relax,generating tons of power

Last edited:

bogdan.sifu

White Belt
Reaction score
For me it was an accident.

I was looking to continue my karate training having moved to Greece for studies. I didn't think much of Chinese Martial Arts.

One day I was checking out some MA videos on yuotube and I see this Wing Chun video. There was a school in town.
I found the website. I read a few paragraphs on the page and I thought, I NEED to learn this.

I instantly showed up the next class and that's how it all started.

Drunken Ronin

White Belt
Reaction score
Because of it's advertised prowess and effectiveness then feeling it's effectiveness and thinking this is for me. Being blessed with great teachers and classmates is a significant reason too. There is a little part of me that wanted to be in Kung fu films from the 70's also...

Erick

White Belt
Reaction score
When I started training, I had no clue what Wing Chun was. Friend was talking to me at a party about how he trained in martial arts and asked me to stop by because I showed interest. Ever since then, I've been hooked.

Latest Discussions