what does your black belt mean to you?

L

lonekimono10

I was talking to someone the other day and he told me that he just got his blackbelt, i said how does it feel? he could not tell me, i said well what does it mean to you having a BB? he said"GOOD" well it got me to thinking about how things change.anyway i'll put it out here
what does your BB mean to you?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this topic could go in General Martial Arts. It isn't confined to just Kempo.

When I got my black belt my sensei smiled at me sincerely and said, "Congratulations. Now you're an advanced beginner."

That's exactly how I felt too. I felt I had accomplished a lot to gain the belt but it was truly just another milestone in my lifelong training.

I remember his words every time I feel tempted to count my stripes or point out my certificates. I still find myself trying to refine the techniques I learned on my very first class.

I still struggle, and will always do so, to make each technique perfect. I realize it will never happen. Yet, the determination to do so is much more indicative of my black belt than the achieving of the belt itself.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well at first I was so excited and then over the next couple of weeks I came to relize it meant absolutely nothing. I was thrilled that my Master thought enough of me to even let me take the test. Now adays It means my journey is a everyday experience and I should rememeber every single moment of training and stay humble thoughout my life.
Terry

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I think it simply means that I am serious about, and committed to, my training.
Good point!

I am greatfull for my belt as the drawstring is not enough to keep my pants on during any sort of free fighting or spirited excersize. I also hate it when I have nothing to attach my weapons to. Handy thing that belt.

Kidding aside...the whole belt thing has been blown out of proportion in the "Business" of martial arts (this is my opinion and I am only stating it not trying to force it). Colors, stripes, patches, kanji, the guys who created the whole belt thing would cringe if they saw some of the cloth retaining confections people are sporting today.

My belt is my BELT. It holds my pants up and keeps my shirt on right. In what other industry do we hold such high reverance to symbols of rank? I have seen people wipe sweat from their browe with it to "retain the spirit of the workout," not wash them (some of them smell bad, do they not wash their uniform or jock straps either?), and even bow to them.
Sorry, but to me it embodies the ability to hold the rest of my clothing in place.

I really don't understand this because I have never been in a school that did these things. For those of you who train in a system that embodies the belt as a symbol of excellence to be revered, why do you perform the "belting" rituals you do? Do you know where these rituals come from? I am curious about them as I haven't been exposed to them.

Regards,
Walt

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am not yet at that stage in my training yet. I will be testing for Orange belt next week so I can not tell you what it does mean. I can however tell you what it will mean to me. I see that stage of my training as a transition stage. Like when I was 12-15 my dad would let me drive his truck around the ranch and on the dirt roads near our house. I learned the basics of driving and I was able to operate the truck in a safe manner. But it was not until I made the transition to paved roads that I was able to learn to drive with finesse. I learned the fine points to driving as I grew older and had more time behind the wheel and taught others to drive. It is in that same way that I see reaching black belt. It will be a transition from dirt roads and basics to paved roads and the fine points of the style.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
I am not yet at that stage in my training yet. I will be testing for Orange belt next week so I can not tell you what it does mean. I can however tell you what it will mean to me. I see that stage of my training as a transition stage. Like when I was 12-15 my dad would let me drive his truck around the ranch and on the dirt roads near our house. I learned the basics of driving and I was able to operate the truck in a safe manner. But it was not until I made the transition to paved roads that I was able to learn to drive with finesse. I learned the fine points to driving as I grew older and had more time behind the wheel and taught others to drive. It is in that same way that I see reaching black belt. It will be a transition from dirt roads and basics to paved roads and the fine points of the style.

Holy real cool anaolgy Batman!
Regards,
Walt

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I received my 1st degree black belt some 16 years ago, it was one of the most exciting days of my life. I knew I had worked really hard at it, but at the same time, was very excited about the LIFETIME martial arts journey ahead.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's something I bought years ago just in case I needed to wear a gi when guest coaching or training with upper belts, and then lost after I moved.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Getting my Black Belt felt just like when I hit puberty and finally got permission to sit at the grown-up table at the big holiday dinners.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has been about 20 years since I reached black, and it was one of the most exciting moments of my life (soon to be taken down a notch when told "now you have to grow into it").

To me, my 5th represents my lineage, the people who have come before and passed on to me, in part what they had to to share; and through me to my students, I continue to see the spirit, dedication, courage, and ability of my Seniors, passed on to others, which they in turn, shall pass on to their students at some point.

It is nice to be part of that chain, even if it has been broken, twisted or even shattered at times, but repaired, reforged, and renewed over and over through the decades.

As Sigung LaBounty shares:

[FONT=geneva, sans-serif]"Spirit, Honor, Discipline"
(taken from the Japanese words of "Seishin, Meiyo, Kiritsu")

[/FONT]
[FONT=geneva, sans-serif]-Michael[/FONT][FONT=geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Ginsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It has been some time since I tied a black belt around my waist. However what it meant to me or better yet caused me to realize the last time I did was how much I have left to learn.....

Ginsu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As with so many other milestones in life, it seems like a huge deal until it happens...then you realize that you're going to keep on doing what you've been doing, and tomorrow isn't really any different.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
then you realize that you're going to keep on doing what you've been doing, and tomorrow isn't really any different.

Too bad marriage isn't like that!

Having my black belt has kept me reminded of how important my conduct and dedication really is. I was just as well-conducted and dedicated before getting it but the rank has made me more consciously aware of it.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well since it'll be 20 years in 2006 since I made BB, I will say that it was like what mostly everyone has mentioned....excited to a continueous journey of learning and passing on those lessons to others :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It means that I was good enough to have a basic understanding of Kenpo with many more years ahead before there is any type of mastery.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Getting my Black Belt felt just like when I hit puberty and finally got permission to sit at the grown-up table at the big holiday dinners.

That's the nail on the head, you were allowed to hang with the black belts, you sweated, bruised, and got bruised enough to be taken seriously

sandan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like the term previously used, "advanced beginner." That is really what it means to me. Granted I have been a black belt for a long time already, I have learned more and grown as a person more as a black belt than any other phase of my life.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
That's the nail on the head, you were allowed to hang with the black belts, you sweated, bruised, and got bruised enough to be taken seriously

The other thing I learned...back when I was at the kid's table, I thought I was all grown up and would rather hang with the grown ups...then when I moved to the grown up table, I realized I didn't know what they were talking about most of the time...

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first began training, black belt was the ultimate goal. Sure, I hoped to continue training beyond that point, but at that time, it was a goal that was just out of reach and represented to me only by the skill and knowledge that I saw in those who had one.

When I finally reached the goal, I realized a big paradox...I was finally where I wanted to be, and I wasn't even close to where I wanted to be.

The paradox remains. Each step forward reveals more of the path.

Latest Discussions