What does everyone like to do in your state?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, in Minnesota, soon we all will be watching the color as they say...the leaves change. People like to drive up north or south depending how late you got your start for your drive to see the color. Although we had a early frost in AUGUST which killed alot of crops and will cause alot of corn, soybean loss and the leaves started to change color a little too soon. Then we get out the guns and go hunting deer so they don't try crossing the roads all the time and become roadkill (not me-I'm not dreaming about Bambi) Then the ducks. The Canadian geese are already starting to fly their V-formation practice not getting the direction right until it gets cold. Then toward Halloween we look out for a possible snow. We've had it easy the last 4 winters though, no complaining. Not much shoveling. Huh, East Coast! The lakes freeze over and we start putting out the ice houses. Some people think it is fun to sit and freeze your buns over a hole in the ice. Its a riot in the spring if they don't get them off in time, they tend to sink to the bottom, with the truck that is trying to haul them off. Well enough for now, I'll probably think of more later. TW

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Manitoba the leaves have already started to change, a few more cool nights should hasten that along nicely. Summer has been almost a complete wash out with so much rain. My inlaws figure that their crops will be a total loss and they will be tilling them under next spring. The crops never matured. Winter doesn't look far away even though I hope I don't see snow before November; probably wishful thinking on my part. Soon enough the lakes will freeze over and ice fishing will begin. Snowmobiling is a favorite pass time here. Miles of trails are groomed every year. For us, our winter will be filled with activities and some travel. With my husband and both daughters shooting competitively now, this should take up a fair bit of our time and add in our MA training and we should keep busy. Hunting should start soon, my husband goes every year and the Deer Kubasas (sausage) we make is delicious. PM me and I will try to find a way to send you some, I like to share ;), lol.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Well, in Minnesota, soon we all will be watching the color as they say...the leaves change. People like to drive up north or south depending how late you got your start for your drive to see the color. Although we had a early frost in AUGUST which killed alot of crops and will cause alot of corn, soybean loss and the leaves started to change color a little too soon. Then we get out the guns and go hunting deer so they don't try crossing the roads all the time and become roadkill (not me-I'm not dreaming about Bambi) Then the ducks. The Canadian geese are already starting to fly their V-formation practice not getting the direction right until it gets cold. Then toward Halloween we look out for a possible snow. We've had it easy the last 4 winters though, no complaining. Not much shoveling. Huh, East Coast! The lakes freeze over and we start putting out the ice houses. Some people think it is fun to sit and freeze your buns over a hole in the ice. Its a riot in the spring if they don't get them off in time, they tend to sink to the bottom, with the truck that is trying to haul them off. Well enough for now, I'll probably think of more later. TW
I think you pretty much covered all the bases...

A

AaronLucia

In Florida..we go to the beach or just relax. There are alot of nice springs to go swimming in, and if u really want to spend money, u can always go to one of the many theme parks.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Well, in New York, we simply suffer the daily pain of high taxes, thats our version of fun!! Seriously though, when the leaves change color over here, at least around Rochester, it is breathtaking. There are many parks in NY to enjoy, some interesting tourists attractions, traveling through the countryside. Exploring the cities in NY can be an adventure as well. I cannot think of something that New Yorkers due as a whole, except maybe make it a point to vacation in another state, he-he!A---)

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Up here in North Bay, the night are getting cooler so the lakes are getting cooler, which make the Walleye come in closer to shore which means more fishing. With in a week or so the leaves will really start to change color, and it will be time to toss on sweat shirts to go outside. But the fishing is worth it.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hunting should start soon, my husband goes every year and the Deer Kubasas (sausage) we make is delicious. PM me and I will try to find a way to send you some, I like to share ;), lol.
Seriously. Now I am dreaming of venison! Gaaalrrlralagh!

In Indiana - well, I haven't gotten the hang of it yet, maybe because almost living in the lab in grad school has kept me pretty isolated. Back in MA, the local towns are having their fall festivals and crafts fairs, with caramel apples and homemade wool sweaters for sale. I'm not sure when the color will set in back there.

Winters are a little more relaxed here in Indiana compared to MA - less snow, weather a bit warmer. Can't complain. I hope I get to take an afternoon off and go walk around when the leaves change color here. Wool sweater season!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nalia said:
Snowmobiling is a favorite pass time here. Miles of trails are groomed every year.
TigerWoman, i knew there was something you forgot to mention about minnesota...

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here in the summer people around this area do a lot of running, biking, roller blading, bowling, sit outside in groups having block parties. In the winter we shovel are arses off and most around here go skiing and snowboarding. Personally speaking since I hate the cold weather I do none of the above except shovel just because I have to.

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Here in the summer people around this area do a lot of running, biking, roller blading, bowling, sit outside in groups having block parties. In the winter we shovel are arses off and most around here go skiing and snowboarding. Personally speaking since I hate the cold weather I do none of the above except shovel just because I have to.
Well, you wanted to live in Ohio.....................:rolleyes:

G

Gary Crawford

The things people do in this state is downright odd.The best thing about northeast tennessee is Bristol Dragway.If you have a burning desire to drive fast,there is a local solution for the problem.THURSDAY NIGHT STREET FIGHTS!If you want to go watch,it's $5 to get in,If you want to race,$10!That's right a place to satify your "NEEDFORSPEED" legally!.If you are into bluegrass,this is the original birthplace of country music.The Carter Family started here and artists like Tennessee "Earnie" Ford and many others have thier mark here.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my state... do they do things here?

Uh.

Lessee... uh...

Yeah.

Uh.

Bars? Maybe? People "Go Downtown" to Chicago proper I guess.

You know, I have no idea what people do here. I should investigate the idea of these "Things" you speak of, what you say people "do".

G

Gary Crawford

I almost forgot one of the biggest pastimes here.Our roads have become supisingly clear of "roadkill" ever since they pasted a State law ollowing citizens to stop along road sides to pick up roadkill,cook it and eat it if they like.I was told the best way to make sure they are fresh is to drive down a road that typically has a lot of roadkills and stop at each and every one and mark it with an florescent orange spray paint.When they go back that way hours later,any fresh roadkill in unmarked.They should have dubbed that law "Grannies law"!

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
I think you pretty much covered all the bases...

Oh, heck I didn't even get into snowmobiling, the weird Norwegian food like lutefisk, oh horror! The Ice Palace they do in winter. Come on Bignick, what do you do outdoors?? Or do you stay in like me??? TW

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Get married.

Just...get married?? No kids??? Hey I know they have some great skiing resorts there. Y'all got mountains, I know for a fact. TW

Latest Discussions