Fast-breaking Muppet news

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't tell you how much I liked this story. I am the queen of the geeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/05/muppets.scientist.reut/index.html

Two Muppets named top scientists

Monday, September 6, 2004 Posted: 3:28 AM EDT (0728 GMT)

EXETER, England (Reuters) -- Muppets Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and his assistant Beaker defeated Dr. Strangelove, Dana Scully of "X Files" fame and Star Trek's Mr. Spock to be voted Britain's favorite screen scientists.

They beat their closest rival by a margin of 2 to 1 and won 33 percent of the 43,000 votes cast in an Internet poll published in Monday.

Spock came in a distance second with 15 percent followed by The Doctor, from Dr Who, who garnered 13 percent. Scully, the only woman in the poll, came in sixth.

"They are accessible, humorous and occasionally blow each other up," said Roland Jackson, of the British Association for the Advancement of Science (BA).

The balding, white-coated Honeydew and flame-haired, bulging-eyed Beaker created an array of crazy gadgets on the popular television show.

"They're the kind of scientists you would like to be but never quite dared to," said Alan Slater, a scientist at the University of Exeter in southwestern England.

The poll, sponsored by the BA and the BBC cult television website gave the public five weeks to choose their favorite scientist from a shortlist of 10 that included Dr. Evil from the film "Austin Powers," Dr. Frankenstein, Frank N. Furter, of the "Rocky Horror Show Picture Show," Dr. Emmett Brown, of the film "Back to the Future" and Q of James Bond fame.

Results of the poll were announced at the start of the week-long BA science conference here.

var clickExpire = "09/19/2004";

S

Spud

Bring back the muppet show. That was some of the best televison ever.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Muppet Show was by far the funniest clean TV out there! Thanks Feisty for bringing some humor into another dismal rainy day.

OP
Feisty Mouse

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was so, so upset when Jim Henson passed away - he was such a genius, and so kind-hearted. I think he died of pneumonia, in part because he didn't bother anyone with his symptoms until it was very serious.

My favorite Muppet movie was The Great Muppet Caper, I think.

"HAPPINESS! Miss Piggy.
ONE CARESS! Miss Piggy!"

Too funny.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of the original show when it was on. But what is really fun, is renting the 3 episode DVD's and watching them with the kids. Both my girls (14 & 16) curl up in front of the TV when we rent one. It really is great to watch there eyes light up over these felt puppets.

One of my favorite web sites for obscure research

www.kermitage.com

Mike

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, this just brings back such great memories. Everytime we visit Disneyworld, my son (and me too) want to see Muppetvision 3-D. It is just hysterical. I've probably seen it 10 times. The muppets are awesome - now Miss Piggy she was definitely a princess!!!

Donna :ultracool

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked Pierre and His Boomerang Fish, and of course, rizzo the rat.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
De-mor-de-borg-de Mord mord mord.
Loved the Swedish Chef, my other favorites include
Animal, Honeydew and Beaker, Fozzie and anything with those chickens.
The most hilarious one I best remember was when a chicken was singing some superhero theme in it's own language... Bawk bawk bawk.
Henson should also be best remembered for helping millions of children learn read, to count and learn a second (and sometimes third) language from his work on Sesame Street. That I can see was a labor of love for him.
Henson was a genius and so (is) Frank Oz who helped on many of the wonderful creations and skits. The world suffered a great loss indeed at Henson's passing. :asian:

Attachments

• $MUPPETS.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 118

Latest Discussions