What does everyone like to do in your state?

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I live in central florida so there's lots to "do" around here. We have world famous amusement parks, quite a few miles of beautiful beaches and some pretty decent hunting and fishing.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
I almost forgot one of the biggest pastimes here.Our roads have become supisingly clear of "roadkill" ever since they pasted a State law ollowing citizens to stop along road sides to pick up roadkill,cook it and eat it if they like.I was told the best way to make sure they are fresh is to drive down a road that typically has a lot of roadkills and stop at each and every one and mark it with an florescent orange spray paint.When they go back that way hours later,any fresh roadkill in unmarked.They should have dubbed that law "Grannies law"!

Reminds of a news story last year or maybe the year before, about armadilloes being spotted all over Wisconsin on the highways, roadkill. Really confused everyone how they were getting this far north. Turned out that a trucker would collect them in Texas along the road, pile them into his truck and toss them out every once in a while in Wisconsin. Never heard what his motivation was, what truckers do to keep from getting bored.!!!
TW

S

Spud

• Kill things, watch TV or tapes on killing things,
  • complain about Californians.
  • Watch reality television and discuss how they would kick butt on a reality television show.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
methinks around here there're just a lot of people drinking and farming and farming and drinking...nothin' wrong with that, just a whole lotta damn people doing it at the same time...

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chronuss....and apparently there are some people in your state that like computer games besides all that farming and drinking. Which they do in our state too, and probably more of the latter, soon. Sheesh, we got seven bars within a quarter mile downtown. TW

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
And craft fairs, oh I love craft fairs. And bluegrass music festivals. Jesse James days soon in Northfield, where those two guys rob the bank one more time...

Hey everyone, if you can think of specific events that are in your region like there has got to be something going on around Chicago, Technopunk. You got to get out of there and smell the flowers...too late, the leaves. TW

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
methinks around here there're just a lot of people drinking and farming and farming and drinking...nothin' wrong with that, just a whole lotta damn people doing it at the same time...

Including the Cops, Eh?

Damn, I still laugh every time I think of that Cop in the Mcdonalds and his drink.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Clue me in, I want to laugh too.....

Well, It was amusing, to say the least, but I think you had to be there to see it...

Me Chronuss, Rusty and another of Sieg and Tess's bunch (I forget who, sorry) were at a McDonalds out there while I was on vacation, and a bunch of obviously inebriated campus cops and a couple other real cops wandered into the place in one huge group. Girl at the counter handed the one cop a drink cup, and he looked at it all puzzeled and went "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS" rather loudly. The girl behind the counter was just like... "Uh, its the cup for your drink you ordered?" and he was all like... "OH, OH YEAH THANKS!" and staggered off...

We all got a good laugh out of it at the time...

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
California's got just about every imaginable kind of person doing just about every imaginable kind of thing. The only thing I would say we all do universally in this state is cut one another off on the freeway.

Me personally? I see a lot of movies with friends, go hiking, sometimes rock climbing (bouldering), practice martial arts (imagine that), occassionally go horseback riding, go out to bars and clubs, just hang out with friends, and sometimes go see a rock concert. Lately I've also been doing volunteer work as a docent at a nature reserve on the beach. Pretty boring, huh?

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a New Yawker! Most of the time - anything they want to! And if it's not warm enough - fly south for the winter! --- or go skiing!

Donna :ultracool

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
I'm a New Yawker! Most of the time - anything they want to! And if it's not warm enough - fly south for the winter! --- or go skiing!

Please give some examples, indigenous to people in your area. Like does everybody only see Broadway shows every weekend? What other enjoyable activies to those who don't know NY, in city or outstate? Where does everyone go for recreation~is the Catskills in NY what I've heard about? What's fun? TW

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Please give some examples, indigenous to people in your area. Like does everybody only see Broadway shows every weekend? What other enjoyable activies to those who don't know NY, in city or outstate? Where does everyone go for recreation~is the Catskills in NY what I've heard about? What's fun? TW
OK TW - here ya' go! Some folks like to go in to town for a show - maybe once a month or so, it really depends on where your interests lie. Some like to go into town for dinner or dancing or to hear some music, and a lot of folks (especially if they live in the city) come to visit the eastern portions of our beautiful island. The shore is a large part of our life here and we live by the tide chart. Boating is really big here until around mid-late october.

Long Island itself has many wonderful restaurants and places to visit. Lots of museums, arboretums, beaches and parks, and theaters. As the weather gets cooler, you can visit the wineries on the north shore and of course go pumpkin or apple picking. In the winter i may visit the catskill region to go skiing or head further north to the Lake George Region or Lake Placid. We have many beautiful ski areas, both for downhill and cross-country.

There are many fall festivals on Long Island and the color changes here are spectacular. Wow i think i should apply for a job with the tourist information center!

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama, I knew you had it in you. Now we all will go there!! If I had a choice, if I were visiting New York then, I'd rather see the side events, places then going to all the tourist attractions. TW

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Kenpo Mama, I knew you had it in you. Now we all will go there!! If I had a choice, if I were visiting New York then, I'd rather see the side events, places then going to all the tourist attractions. TW
Smart move - all the touristy places get so crowded! And it's not the real New York! It's like the stuff they show you on Letterman! That's all like tourist fluff! You come to NY and i know at least 4 of us that would be more than happy to show you around! New York is definitely an experience! Long Island is just beautiful! No where in the world that i would rather live than right here.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
there has got to be something going on around Chicago, Technopunk. You got to get out of there and smell the flowers...too late, the leaves. TW

Eh. "Outside" is about as overrated as "Others"

Actually... They have a complete historically acurrate replica of "The Bounty" docked at Navy Pier right now. Im contemplating going and touring it, because I love Pirates so damn much. %-}

G

Gary Crawford

TigerWoman said:
Reminds of a news story last year or maybe the year before, about armadilloes being spotted all over Wisconsin on the highways, roadkill. Really confused everyone how they were getting this far north. Turned out that a trucker would collect them in Texas along the road, pile them into his truck and toss them out every once in a while in Wisconsin. Never heard what his motivation was, what truckers do to keep from getting bored.!!!
TW
Q:Why did the chicken cross the road? A;To show the Armadila it could be done! People in Arkansas love to find the run over little "possum on a half shell's" and sit them up and place a beer in their paws and leave them where everyone can see their art.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you guy sure you're not from Indiana?? More of the same around here.

For those of us fortunate to live in NW IN, Chicago is about 30 min. away,for the rest of us "Hoosiers",well:idunno: . Hmm,come to think of it,there's nothing fortunate about it,I'm going to Colorado!