what does everybody think of flashy kicks?

T

tkdguy1982

I was wanting to know what everyone thinks of all the flashy kicks & things you see websites like www.bilang.com. Do you all think they are useless or do you like them?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
tkdguy1982 said:
I was wanting to know what everyone thinks of all the flashy kicks & things you see websites like www.bilang.com. Do you all think they are useless or do you like them?
Flashy kicks and other moves have their places. They're fun to watch and are often part of demo teams.

Maybe some of those martial artists may end up being on TV or in the movies?

- Ceicei

OP
T

tkdguy1982

Oh yeah most definently, I enjoy watching, wouldn't even mind being able to do them. They wouldn't work in a real fight, ever. Nobody is going to let you spin around 3 times & kick them. But they are fun to watch.

OP
M

markulous

tkdguy1982 said:
Oh yeah most definently, I enjoy watching, wouldn't even mind being able to do them. They wouldn't work in a real fight, ever. Nobody is going to let you spin around 3 times & kick them. But they are fun to watch.

Exactly.

OP
R

RCastillo

Ceicei said:
Flashy kicks and other moves have their places. They're fun to watch and are often part of demo teams.

Maybe some of those martial artists may end up being on TV or in the movies?

- Ceicei

Same here. :asian:

OP
T

tkdguy1982

Maybe one day I will grow enough cahunas to try flashy kicks.... lol.... maybe!!!

OP
G

Gary Crawford

Looks like alot of fun!I've always been amazed by capiera.Will it work in a real fight?I say no,but brazilian military trains in it.I see value in EVERTHING!

OP
T

tkdguy1982

Oh no, not in a real fight I don't think it would work.... just something thats amazing to watch & would be really cool to do. In a real fight you would be waisting your time trying that, like I said before no one will let you spin around 3 times & kick them. Takes too much time & gives them plenty of time to be ready for it & capitalize with a move of their own.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tkdguy1982 said:

IMO, they have their place. That place should be for show or a tourny. rather than on the street, but hey, whatever works for you right? I've always been an advocate of doing things that a simple and to the point. Will a jump spinning back kick work for someone on the street? Sure. Is it the best choice? No.

Mike

OP
T

tkdguy1982

IMO, I don't think I would ever use them in a fight. I would in a tourney or for a sampler video, but never anymore than that.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I Like Them I practise Mid Level Spin Kicks.
& Have enen done a Drop Kick or 2.

They are Fun But i don't think I will Ever Use Them in the Cadge
Unless I make a Swith from MMA to Pro Wrestling.Easyer said Then Done.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

I think one of the times it would work with spin kicks is the angle of attack on the street. I myself don't see it a good thing to do flashy on the street, but spins can be helpful. Say the person attacks while you dodging a certain way(some people dodge with a quick spin to face their opponent's back). While spinning to avoid a near collision, you could use a kick. But that's rare, just a thought. I mean, spins could be great for the person who have practiced them, but why not just get more hits in than waste time on spinning...

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same kind of spin, but turning your back on your opponent, even for a split second, doesn't seem real smart to me in a street fight.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Right. I don't want to risk the chance turning my back for any amount of time. I would rather take out the leg and just batter them than try something flashy like a spin kick...

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those kicks were choreographed, practiced and intented for show - so for those guys they will always be for show.

My general theory is this. If, to you, it is a 'trick' an 'intricate' thing or too 'flashy' then don't do it because you have no faith in it's effectiveness.

If on the other hand, you drill it until you can make it work in reality/scenario training reality the majority of the time.... I guess it isn't just flashy or showy

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Think of it this way.

If somebody can throw a jump spinning 720 deg hook kick.....
then how good is their standing lead leg hook kick to the groin?
Probably very good. Your basics have to be perfect to perform these 'tricks'
So think of it as just taking the basics to the next level.
It is still up to the individual on where, when, & how to employ these 'tricks'.
If he/she is taught that they are effective 'fighting' techniques then there is definitly something missing in the instruction.

It's just another way to practise basics albeit not for everybody.

Rob

OP
B

Baytor

Robbo said:
Think of it this way.

If somebody can throw a jump spinning 720 deg hook kick.....
then how good is their standing lead leg hook kick to the groin?
Probably very good. Your basics have to be perfect to perform these 'tricks'
So think of it as just taking the basics to the next level.
It is still up to the individual on where, when, & how to employ these 'tricks'.
If he/she is taught that they are effective 'fighting' techniques then there is definitly something missing in the instruction.

It's just another way to practise basics albeit not for everybody.

Rob
I remember hearing somewhere that the jumping kicks were used first for striking someone on a horse. While I think that flashy kicks are cool to see in demos, I don't see a place for them anymore in the real world. I think that if you spend so much time training to do them, you will probably look for an opening to use them in a fight. That's just my guess, I never trained to do the flashy kicks. My philosophy is to train as I would fight, which is to keep it simple and effective.

They are fun to watch, though.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It takes a lot of flexibility to do those kinds of moves. When it gets down to the nitty-gritty of a fight, the martial artists probably won't use these flashy moves, but due to their well developed muscular strength, their basic moves will be very strong. In other words, I'm restating the same thought that Robbo mentioned.

- Ceicei

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My TKD master instructor is 5th dan. Last year at a demo, he did a quadruple front kick to four balloons held at chest level. Yes he has a lot of power. Most people would not do well with him in a street fight. He knocked someone out with a flying side kick to the head in a street fight when he was a colored belt and he hasn't slowed down in 23 years. He teaches street fighting to us as well. No spins. No escape or control techniques, we are just taught major damage– ankle, knee, elbow, groin, head.

But with that said, I'm not in martial arts for self defense, that's just a nice side benefit. While I have been attacked twice in my lifetime, I didn't seek a self defense class then. I got into TKD because the exercise is fun, it was good for my family. I love the flashy kicks. When you CAN achieve them, its a euphoria that can't be matched. And hey, a jump back kick, well learned is an effective tool in fighting. Especially a double jumpback, one side then the other side, done fast - won't know what hit em. And a ground sweep, is effective for an attacker with a knife. Flashy too! I've done it at tournaments. To understand it more, you have to try it. I would like to try Kenpo too but there's nothing around here. :uhyeah:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any technique practiced diligently can be effective. It is all in understanding how to practice and apply it.

Latest Discussions