what kind of weapons does everyone use?

T

tkdguy1982

I wanted to know what kind of weapons everyone uses or practices with? Are there any ones that you favor more than others?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
tkdguy1982 said:
I wanted to know what kind of weapons everyone uses or practices with? Are there any ones that you favor more than others?
Is this limited only to martial arts?

- Ceicei

OP
T

tkdguy1982

No, can be incorporated w/ everyday life if you want it to be. Or martial arts, whichever. How about both?

OP
M

markulous

Escrima stick-like weapons are usually what I carry. They are just the most common and practical.

OP
T

tkdguy1982

I like escrimas.... never have tried using them.... I hear the staffs & 3 sectional staffs are pretty good too.

OP
B

Black Bear

We train with the bastons and knives mainly. Sometimes we pull out actual collapsible batons for draw drills. Most improvised weapons' mechanics break down to one of those.

OP
T

the_kicking_fiend

I don't think carrying weapons around is responsible or neccessary to be honest. If you go around with weapons you are waiting to get into a fight but a martial artist should always be looking for the peaceful path. Besides, the street fights I've been in rarely involve weaponry but a brawl in the bar and as long as you can defend against a bottle with your hands, there is no need to pull out a katana.

However, my favourite weapon is the bo staff which is extremely powerful, long range and lethal in the hands of an expert.

d

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sticks, Knives, Hammer, Trash Can , Chairs
Base Ball Bat Temper Glass Goes Crash over the Heads.

Take No Prisoners Leave no Survivers
Have a Nice Day. :boxing: :boxing:

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Bo Staff and chucks at the moment...I LOVE THE BO STAFF!!!!...so much fun and my kind of weapon...

Looking into working with kamas and 3 sectional next...

OP
K

Kris

This is not a weapon i carry amazinly enough...... but a German Longsword, otherwise known as a Bastard Sword. This isn't as a 'martial' art so to speak, it is instead swordsmanship based on Sigmund Ringecks commentaries.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I practice and carry knives of varying lengths.

I practice and sometimes carry karambits.

I practice and have available often machetes and swords.

I practice but rarely have available staves and spears.

I practice and plan to carry soon firearms.

I practice but rarely have available sticks from palm size to ax handle sized.

I occationally practice but always carry various improvised weapons.

I practice (albiet on an xbox) and usually have available a large automobile.

OP
B

Black Bear

the_kicking_fiend, there's nothing wrong with being a deadly pacifist. I touch on this a bit on the "what do you carry" thread. Peace through superiour firepower. The street fights you've been involved with rarely involved weapons apparently because neither person had the foresight to bring one. If one of the people did... things might have ended differently.

As you'll see on the "what do you carry" thread, I'm not a big weapons nut. I think it's absurd to have kali sticks on you, say when you walk the street. And I make my case against the opposite mindset as well. I'm not telling anyone that they should carry or not. I'm saying that if they have some absolutist thinking, they should probably give it some more careful reflection. To say that you shouldn't want to fight, ergo you shouldn't carry weapons, is like saying "you shouldn't want to have a flat tire, ergo you shouldn't carry a spare and a jack in your trunk".

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sticks mainly, occasionally others (we've done staff, tonfa, nunchaku, knife, 3-sectional, shield/sword, kama, sai, and a few others) I've also done some fencing and some Kendo.

How about the rest of the current MMA crowd? Do any weapons?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sticks any length, knives (from folder to long blades)

things that go bang

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
tkdguy1982 said:

Sticks and stones,
Swords and Spears,
Knives and Guns,
Whips and Floggs,
Pins and needles,
Garrotes and chains
Blowguns and arrows
Bow and Bo
Axes and Tomahawks
Sling shots and yo yos
Rods and reels
Nets and traps,
Boats, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
and most anything I can place my hands on.

No one favorite just what is handy or best based upon the situation and environment. Like training or traveling or hunting or camping or whatever.

Danny T

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Short sticks, as well as Bo staff,I'm in the process of learning advance techniques with the three sectional staff through abook by Eric Lee, nunchaka's and the sai's.
Terry
PS Knife, Guns and a trash can if I had too.!!!

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
stick (read whatever I can get my hands on) Handgun, I shoot combat tupperware and 1911's. combat rifle and shotgun. Some knife stuff

OP
M

muffin_cup_of_death

I use ALOT of weapons. Some for just training, but some I actually train to use on people. (i know thats evil)

These are the weapons I train with in order of favorites and skill level on a 1-10 basis

Nunchukas: Fav:1 Skill Level: 10
I love chuks, I have used them for about 9 years, and I play with them everyday. I have steel ones, wooden crackles, foam, and 3 sectional. This is a weapon I use for self defense, as I easily can conceal them on me all the time, and would face any number of opponents when armed with them.

Shurikens: Fav: 2 Skill Level: 8

These are another of my personal favs. I do target practice on my target board everyday, many times as I can find time for. I am very good throwing overhand, (vertical) and from the hip,(horizontal). I can hit a target from over 50 feet with ok accuracy. I usually practice on this telephone pole for my ranged accuracy practice, it gets harder and harder the farther you move back. I use these for self defense, and usually have a couple stars, and throwing spikes on me ALL the time when I am out and about.

Katana: Fav:3 Skill Level: 7

I love weilding the sword, it feels natural in my hands. I dont train for self defense, for I will never be using this out on the street cause I cannot carry them. So I train with this weapon for my own personal enjoyment.
Miyamoto Musashi's book of 5 rings is what got me into using the sword. SO I try to utilize some of that into my training.
I have 1 japanese katana, 2 straight blade katanas, and 2 full tang "machete" like swords. And butterfly knives. I love them all.

Kama w/ chain attachment

This weapon I recently got for Xmas. It is used in ninjutsu, I believe its called a kasuri kama or something like tha. It has a chain connected to the bottom of the kama to swing, and its awesome. I'd hate to be hit by any part of this weapon. I also have 2 traditional kamas, and they are the real thing. Razor blade sharp edges that would amutate any limb with ease, I still cringe at the thought of striking someone with one of them. All these weapons I train for my own personal enjoyment, but I have been known to carry my kamas in a backpack " just in case ". hehe.

I also recently started using a whip chain. It is a magnificent wepaon when used correctly, and VERY enjoyable to use once you get the hang of the basics, and begin to blend it all together.

thats all for now.

Latest Discussions