What do you think of Philip Starr?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is your opinion of Philip Starr? Are his books worth the price, do you think he knows of what he writes, is he a good teacher? All opinions appreciated.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that PS is very highly thought of on MT by those who've had some contact with his work...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have only read Mr. Starr's The Making of a Butterfly and I really enjoyed it and recommend it to MA and non-MA. When I loan it out I have to beg to get it back!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is your opinion of Philip Starr? Are his books worth the price, do you think he knows of what he writes, is he a good teacher? All opinions appreciated.

I've met Sifu Starr a few times, and participated in a couple of public seminar sessions he's led - both based on his book Martial Mechanics.

The book is very well done, it focuses on how-to do basics - stances punches etc. but even better it also goes into some of the "whys" from not only the internal training system he teaches but also the bio mechanical reasons behind why they train it that way. So it is a good introduction to that kind of study of your MA even if you don't do kung-fu.

I've been on the receiving end of one of his senior student's punches (very unpleasant internally), seen him break river rocks etc, and he taugthme some qigong. He's very good, physically and "theoretically" and that is a very good reflection on Sifu Starr.

And he's very nice :)
And his books are not expensive! So when you ask "worth the price" well, their value is high and price is low, so double the value.

Latest Discussions