What do you think of Jake Mace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, I for one, think Jake Mace seems like a nice young man. I would treat his advice on self defense much as I treat most everyone's advice on the subject, which is to say, with a healthy skepticism. But that's not unique to him.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder how much of his claims of expertise is the Dunning-Kruger effect. Just because he doesn't meet your definition of an expert/master, that doesn't mean he doesn't meet his own. The point made earlier about the difference between someone who is lying and someone who is deceived (even self-deceived) is significant to the ethics of the situation.
Perhaps, but the man gets a ton of feedback which he can't possibly be unaware of. It could be that he believes he is the only true master, and the thousands of people in his youtube comments, open letters, one on one interactions etc are the real fraudsters(not to mention the things he tries to pass a X art never seem to resemble X art in any significant way), but I can't even comprehend the extent of cognitive dissonance that would make this possible.

But then again, Einstein once wrote that only two things were infinite; the universe and...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Perhaps, but the man gets a ton of feedback which he can't possibly be unaware of. It could be that he believes he is the only true master, and the thousands of people in his youtube comments, open letters, one on one interactions etc are the real fraudsters(not to mention the things he tries to pass a X art never seem to resemble X art in any significant way), but I can't even comprehend the extent of cognitive dissonance that would make this possible.

But then again, Einstein once wrote that only two things were infinite; the universe and...
Interesting fact about cognitive dissonance that seems relevant here. Ever hear the term "fake it 'til you make it?" If you think about it, that is what is often considered a viable reaction to cognitive dissonance. The "fake it" part is the dissonance, and the "make it" part is the reaction by the brain to reduce the dissonance.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting fact about cognitive dissonance that seems relevant here. Ever hear the term "fake it 'til you make it?" If you think about it, that is what is often considered a viable reaction to cognitive dissonance. The "fake it" part is the dissonance, and the "make it" part is the reaction by the brain to reduce the dissonance.
So you are saying maybe he believes he is simply on the next level, and that's why nobody gets it, and why his version of all the arts he has 'mastered' is so dissimilar from its namesake?

Correct me if I've lost your point here.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, so name calling it is. Surprise surprise.

The low road well traveled.

If not for that, playing forum mommy or sneering down your nose, your post count would be like 5.

Ah sweetie, I haven't called you names. You seem to have a complex though about mothers and thinking people are looking down on you? Have you seen anyone about this, you seem to be getting awfully upset again. It's noticeable that you don't take on any of the blokes when they address you, are you a misogynist as well? ;)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah sweetie, I haven't called you names. You seem to have a complex though about mothers and thinking people are looking down on you? Have you seen anyone about this, you seem to be getting awfully upset again. It's noticeable that you don't take on any of the blokes when they address you, are you a misogynist as well? ;)

Sigh.

I just don't have any more time for you. Interaction with you is never informative or stimulating, and always degenerates into drama. I can't think of a single post you have ever made that actually relates to martial arts in any meaningful way. Bye bye now.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He may simply dismiss those as “purists” or as people who don’t understand. We have seen both of those happen here with people who have less experience than Mace.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
He may simply dismiss those as “purists” or as people who don’t understand. We have seen both of those happen here with people who have less experience than Mace.
I guess it's possible. I do think it's more likely he has made a lot of money doing what he is doing, and as such just doesn't care about authenticity.

I guess we will never really know.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've never seen his videos or heard his opinions, I didn't go look at his videos or read his opinions, I don't really care about his videos or his opinions. There are a huge number of sites on the internet that get paid whenever anyone clicks on them. The majority of them are total garbage. Why people wish to go clicking on all these sites just to be able to say "yep, that's garbage!" does not make any sense to me.

My own training is what interests me. Whatever this person has to say or show on the internet in order to get money for people clicking on his stuff is none of my concern, nor does it interest me in the least.

Since everyone else has an opinion, I didn't want to feel left out ... :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The destruction isn't the defensive technique though, the parry with his left arm is. Destructions can be applied in multiple ways from multiple angles. One way that a destruction can be applied is the way he did in the video. You parry the strike into the elbow. Without the the parry that particular destruction would be difficult to pull of, hence is why he parried.
I understand the technique. I actually understand that technique better than I understand kung fu. You can't apply that technique against multiple angles. Don't take my word for it. Try it out yourself and you can see where the error of that video exists.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So you are saying maybe he believes he is simply on the next level, and that's why nobody gets it, and why his version of all the arts he has 'mastered' is so dissimilar from its namesake?

Correct me if I've lost your point here.
No, nothing so specific. It's interesting to me because it speaks to a commonly held belief that if you pretend to do something for long enough, your mind will close the gap you know exists. It was really not intended to be more than sharing a bit of trivia... like a relevant aside. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh.

I just don't have any more time for you. Interaction with you is never informative or stimulating, and always degenerates into drama. I can't think of a single post you have ever made that actually relates to martial arts in any meaningful way. Bye bye now.

You bring the drama, what you whinge about seeing in me is actually what is in you not me. To go through life so angry and hating women so much is a sad way of living but still you have made your choice, if you put me on ignore we will be rid of your angst.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, nothing so specific. It's interesting to me because it speaks to a commonly held belief that if you pretend to do something for long enough, your mind will close the gap you know exists. It was really not intended to be more than sharing a bit of trivia... like a relevant aside. :)

Human psychology is a fascinating thing, but it also gives me a headache. I prefer cats to be honest. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You called him "sweetie." Isn't that a name? And you called him Banker, which you so helpfully clarified is cockney slang. So, according to "cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk" is slang for... good lord!!! That's not nice at all!! LOL

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've never seen his videos or heard his opinions, I didn't go look at his videos or read his opinions, I don't really care about his videos or his opinions. There are a huge number of sites on the internet that get paid whenever anyone clicks on them. The majority of them are total garbage. Why people wish to go clicking on all these sites just to be able to say "yep, that's garbage!" does not make any sense to me.

My own training is what interests me. Whatever this person has to say or show on the internet in order to get money for people clicking on his stuff is none of my concern, nor does it interest me in the least.

Since everyone else has an opinion, I didn't want to feel left out ... :)/
I felt the same way!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's possible. I do think it's more likely he has made a lot of money doing what he is doing, and as such just doesn't care about authenticity.

I guess we will never really know.
I've been amazed at the number of people I've talked to who were not what they thought they were. Rationalization, confirmation bias, and response to cognitive dissonance are funny things.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been amazed at the number of people I've talked to who were not what they thought they were. Rationalization, confirmation bias, and response to cognitive dissonance are funny things.

Been there myself during my RSBD phase.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wasn't aware JM was a member here.

He's not, it was just one of the 3 sections of the MT rules that deal with fraud busting that I posted so interested posters would know what they all are.

Did not expect that I would have to point out which one applied to this thread, thought that was fairly obvious.....but ok, if neccesary..

1.10.3 No Individual Bashing / Fraud Busting.
applies to this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions