What do you think of Jake Mace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps, but the man gets a ton of feedback which he can't possibly be unaware of. It could be that he believes he is the only true master, and the thousands of people in his youtube comments, open letters, one on one interactions etc are the real fraudsters(not to mention the things he tries to pass a X art never seem to resemble X art in any significant way), but I can't even comprehend the extent of cognitive dissonance that would make this possible.

But then again, Einstein once wrote that only two things were infinite; the universe and...

I have a simpler explanation, which I like to call the "internet troll" syndrome. Simply put, there are so many internet trolls around these days that often it is hard to tell the difference between negative but constructive criticism and trolling. Because of this most big YouTube personalities flat out ignore any comment that doesn't match their specific point of view.

Jake has confirmed this in a recent video where he said that he spends a bit of time each day looking at the comments of his videos, and only reads and responds to "genuine" questions and positive feedback. In his mind ,anything even slightly negative is just a troll and should be ignored.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There is a school of thought that suggests the greatest leaders and change agents in history doggedly refuse to believe any version of reality that conflicts with the one they are trying to create. Steve Jobs, Jeff Bezos, you name it. And they are, by definition out of touch with reality, because they are trying to effect their own. This is the BHAG philosophy. SMART goals are the minimum. That’s what is acceptable, and by definition achievable. These guy dream big... big, hairy, audacious goals. They shoot for the stars, and actively refuse to acknowledge naysayers.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a school of thought that suggests the greatest leaders and change agents in history doggedly refuse to believe any version of reality that conflicts with the one they are trying to create. Steve Jobs, Jeff Bezos, you name it. And they are, by definition out of touch with reality, because they are trying to effect their own. This is the BHAG philosophy. SMART goals are the minimum. That’s what is acceptable, and by definition achievable. These guy dream big... big, hairy, audacious goals. They shoot for the stars, and actively refuse to acknowledge naysayers.
While I would admit this is a good way to achieve your dreams, one can't discount the value of hard work.

If Steve Jobs didn't know computers we still wouldn't have i-stuff, regardless of how much he believed.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's not, it was just one of the 3 sections of the MT rules that deal with fraud busting that I posted so interested posters would know what they all are.

Did not expect that I would have to point out which one applied to this thread, thought that was fairly obvious.....but ok, if neccesary..

1.10.3 No Individual Bashing / Fraud Busting.
applies to this thread
Seems to me that whole section pertains to user to user interactions. It sure is phrased that way.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While I would admit this is a good way to achieve your dreams, one can't discount the value of hard work.

If Steve Jobs didn't know computers we still wouldn't have i-stuff, regardless of how much he believed.
Interestingly, his BHAG had nothing to do with what computers could do at the time he started. His genius was his vision, and his ability to inspire others to figure it out. I would go one step further and say that if he had relied on what he knew about computers, we would still not have the iPod, much less than iPad, iPhone, or anything else.

And look at what apple has done since... squat. Minimal innovation on existing products.

But yeah, it also takes hard work.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
His foothold started with making the apple 2e idiotproof and marketing it to schools in the 80s.

All the trendy stuff came 25 years later.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand the technique. I actually understand that technique better than I understand kung fu. You can't apply that technique against multiple angles. Don't take my word for it. Try it out yourself and you can see where the error of that video lies.

I didn't say that particular destruction can be done at multiple angles, I said destructions in general are done at multiple angles. You don't know what technique your opponent is going to throw. This is why we train proper destructions for the proper angles. Think of it like you would a block, you're not going to use the same block for all attacks. I've being doing Filipino Martial Arts for 5 years, thus I'm speaking from experience. We have practiced that technique in drills and sparring(with gloves) and we are able to execute the technique.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. If it works, they are genius. If they fail, they are your cousin Carl, who never seems to accept reality.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

The problem is for every Steve Jobs....there is also a Bernie Madoff selling snake oil. You have to be careful who you put your trust in.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't say that particular destruction can be done at multiple angles, I said destructions in general are done at multiple angles.
Ok. I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about that technique. My comments only refer to that specific technique in the video that I pointed out.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's not, it was just one of the 3 sections of the MT rules that deal with fraud busting that I posted so interested posters would know what they all are.

Did not expect that I would have to point out which one applied to this thread, thought that was fairly obvious.....but ok, if neccesary..

applies to this thread
Seems to me that whole section pertains to user to user interactions. It sure is phrased that way.
1.10.3 is what Xue Sheng posted and is written as:
It is not our mission to out and expose frauds or decide who "sucks". Such discussions rarely lead anywhere other than to headaches, and lawsuits.

4.16.1 Fraud Busting
Discusses member to member interactions.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
His foothold started with making the apple 2e idiotproof and marketing it to schools in the 80s.

All the trendy stuff came 25 years later.
he got fired from his own company after the apple 2e and the first mac.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The problem is for every Steve Jobs....there is also a Bernie Madoff selling snake oil. You have to be careful who you put your trust in.
jobs and Madoff have nothing in common. Madoff has a lot in common with every other hedhe fund manager. Jobs had a lot in common with people who have a vision for something we all want but have never even imagined yet. A computer in our pocket. A car in every every garage. Drone delivery of our amazon packages. Commercial space travel. Flying cars. That's the BHAG. selling a ponzi scheme is not the same thing.

Edit. Just want to be clear. I’m not judging one way or the other whether this guy is a visionary. I’m suggesting he may think he is one. Actual evaluation would be evaluating if he is a fraud or not, and that is a violation of the ToS.

Last edited:

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about that technique. My comments only refer to that specific technique in the video that I pointed out.

I'm still stating that the destruction he used is a proper technique. I wanted to clarify that destructions are used from multiple angles, and the one he used works.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
jobs and Madoff have nothing in common. Madoff has a lot in common with every other hedhe fund manager. Jobs had a lot in common with people who have a vision for something we all want but have never even imagined yet. A computer in our pocket. A car in every every garage. Drone delivery of our amazon packages. Commercial space travel. Flying cars. That's the BHAG. selling a ponzi scheme is not the same thing.

I disagree

refuse to believe any version of reality that conflicts with the one they are trying to create.

They shoot for the stars, and actively refuse to acknowledge naysayers.

I think many of the Madoff's in the world fall into this as well except due to greed and the lack of morals and ethics they end up on a criminal path. But the same characteristics that make successful businessmen are often times they same traits that make big time criminals.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I disagree

I think many of the Madoff's in the world fall into this as well except due to greed and the lack of morals and ethics they end up on a criminal path. But the same characteristics that make successful businessmen are often times they same traits that make big time criminals.
You’re a cop. Right?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think Jake Mace is a fraud....he is a MA instructor and probably thinks this techniques will work.....I just don't care for what he teaches as self defense.

Uppercuts using the back of your wrist? Women with little to no training "dead legging" would be rapists with a roundhouse kick to the leg? or Muay Thai clinch would be rapists?

:eek:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm still stating that the destruction he used is a proper technique. I wanted to clarify that destructions are used from multiple angles, and the one he used works.
Believe what you want. To put my experience in context of using elbows to break hands: I've been using that technique effectively for more than 26 years. It's one of the few techniques I can when I feel like and at a high rate of success. After 26 years of using that elbow strikes to attack both hands and kicks, there's just no way I would have used that elbow against the type of punch that Jake thew which was coming in at an angle. It would have been much easier to cover to block that punch and at the same time punch my opponent than trying to lean to the side trying to break his hand when the punch was clearly not in the best position to do so.

To each his own.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Believe what you want. To put my experience in context of using elbows to break hands: I've been using that technique effectively for more than 26 years. It's one of the few techniques I can when I feel like and at a high rate of success. After 26 years of using that elbow strikes to attack both hands and kicks, there's just no way I would have used that elbow against the type of punch that Jake thew which was coming in at an angle. It would have been much easier to cover to block that punch and at the same time punch my opponent than trying to lean to the side trying to break his hand when the punch was clearly not in the best position to do so.

To each his own.

I just realized that our disagreement is based on the definition of a "cross". A cross is thrown in a straight line, what Jake threw was a haymaker. I forgot he threw a haymaker in the middle of our conversation. I agree it's not the proper technique against a haymaker(what Jake threw). However; it would be effective against a cross, a "cross" also referred to as a "straight" being thrown in a straight line and parried into the elbow. That is the technique we have done in drills and sparring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions