What do you think of Jake Mace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
This shows that he is aware that he needs more training from others and is striving to improve. You'll

No this is a common practice with YouTuber's to increase their viewership.

You are sharing subscribers by promoting each other on your channels.

And the video is scary......he teaches rape prevention classes to women.......what does he know about rape prevention?

Chances are none of those techniques are gonna stop a rape.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is this because he genuinely believes what he's saying is true or because he's trying hard to con people? When people call him a liar and fake etc this is an important question to ask, someone's teaching may be very poor, the techniques may not work but it's not always because the instructor is fake but that they themselves have been poorly taught. I've never heard of Jake Mace and know very little about what he's teaching but while criticising him I would be careful about calling him a fake. Fake and incompetent aren't the same thing.
That's a good thing to consider when trying to determine if someone is running the con or if someone is just lacking the knowledge.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

And the video is scary......he teaches rape prevention classes to women.......what does he know about rape prevention?

He's where a lot of martial art schools and instructors want to be in terms of visibility. Literally it's him and Master Wong that get much of the youtube spotlight.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because they aren't meant for that, that doesn't mean they wouldn't be useful for it, if separated from the martial application. Tai chi forms are often used just for fitness. There are some forms that were developed specifically for muscular development; a friend who was trained in something (some form of Karate, I think) showed me one of them.
And this is why people grumble over what people like Jake Mace do.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I know it's common practice to do collabs, but in his earlier collabs the emphasis was very much on Jake showing off his skills to the other person, whereas in the videos I linked in my last post, the emphasis is on Jake learning from his collab partner. At least, that is the impression I got from them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Per Billy Blanks:
“Tae Bo is based on Boxing, Martial Arts, Calisthenics, and Dance all combined into one form of cardio exercise that you need to get into good shape. If you have never heard of or done Tae Bo before I just want to introduce myself to you and to say I am the one who created this form of cardio kickboxing.”

After touting his karate accomplishments he talks of being in his basement just doing some punching and kicking to the theme song for the movie Rocky and that with-in two minutes he, the karate champion of the world, was tired.

“So I said, you know what? I’m going to put all these movements into a cardio fitness exercise system that has really changed me from the inside out.

So I created TAEBO
Total
Awareness (of)
Excellent
Body
Obdience

This is what TAEBO represents. TAEBO is a fully body cardio fitness system.”

Don't know what anyone else has stated but this is from Mr. Blanks himself.

Yeah I had a look and couldn't find self defence so fair enough.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know it's common practice to do collabs, but in his earlier collabs the emphasis was very much on Jake showing off his skills to the other person, whereas in the videos I linked in my last post, the emphasis is on Jake learning from his collab partner. At least, that is the impression I got from them.

I don't get that impression at all.

The impression I get is meet so and so....They are gonna show you a couple techniques and I'm going to show a couple techniques while we get Youtube's search engine to link our names so that we are suggested to each others subscribers or viewers.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't get that impression at all.

The impression I get is meet so and so....They are gonna show you a couple techniques and I'm going to show a couple techniques while we get Youtube's search engine to link our names so that we are suggested to each others subscribers or viewers.

Exactly, it was a mutual exchanging of techniques, which is completely different in particular to the Baguazhang video I linked before which is much more 1-sided with Jake learning from his collab partner instead of just showing off a bunch of techniques himself. Now, is it any better from a technical standpoint? I don't know, as I don't practice Baguazhang, I just found it interesting that this video had a very different format which put Jake into the role of student a lot more rather than giving off the illusion that he knows everything already.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the technique at 1:11 where he breaks the hand with the elbow. I know that technique better than I know Jow Ga Kung fu and I can tell you that you would never use that technique to counter a haymaker, or a cross. The follow up after breaking the hand is also unrealistic. That technique is a one shot deal meaning you do the technique then reset into a defensive position because another punch may be coming on it's way.

Why wouldn't use that destruction(what we call it in Kali) to counter a cross? You parry it with the left hand then use the elbow as the destruction, his elbow is also up like that to shield him from any strikes from the left arm. I agree it's not the appropriate technique for a haymaker, but there's noting wrong using it against a cross. I also agree his follow up with the chop is most likely not going to work either.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's a fake.

just look at his basic's, he doesn't have decent structure and from the looks of it any knowledge of power generation.

To be brutally honest... I think people like him are the reason why the opinion of kung fu has gone down over the years.

That doesn't make him a fake, it may make him incompetent but not a fake. As few of us have heard of him I doubt that Kung Fu is affected that much by him. I also doubt the opinion of Kung Fu has gone down either, people tend not to know much about it unless they are practising it. Most people see it ( or something approximate) being used in films and that's the extent of their knowledge.
Perhaps you could introduce yourself and tell us why you are an expert?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because if you practice those arts they take a long time to learn and if some love-tard starts making things up it makes people think people who practice it also look like a love-tard.
July 31,2017 oaktree posted:
"I remember ten years ago martial talk use to be a great place to talk lots of great discussions, great members too.
Then Bob sold it and it started to down grade at least to me. Maybe I have grown out of forums or to tired to answer the same rehash questions or bored to the what if battles of who's martial art is the real deadly.

Looking at martial talk now, I piety it spending all those times arguing, discussing moot points instead of actually engaging in the real world.

Anyway I just wanted to say I have moved on there is no reason to log in anymore and I suggest you do the same."

LOL. Welcome back?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why wouldn't use that destruction(what we call it in Kali) to counter a cross?
Because of the angle that crosses usually come in when thrown. If the person throws a linear cross then you'll have a chance, but if that cross comes in at an angle (as shown in the video) then the chance for a successful counter with that technique is slim. It's just too much distance to cover with that technique when used against a cross, which is why he has that awkward lean in the video when he tries to counter with the technique. The other issue is that crosses are usually the follow up punch and not the lead punch. The problem with the demo is that it's slow which creates assumptions about when a technique can be done.

The safer application of that technique is to use it against a jab or a linear punch. People usually jab carelessly, often times they use it as a range finder which means they aren't really trying to hit you in the face with full force. Jabs you can easily parry, even when thrown at full force in comparison to crosses. Parrying a jab is text book beginner technique for martial arts.

Here are examples of crosses and you'll see the angle that I'm talking about. Also notice that the cross is the second punch. The one that I really want you to focus on is the one at 4:45 because it best represents what Jake was doing and how his partner was replying. I think this is the real danger of crosses. At the moment the of trying to counter the incoming cross, he would have just redirected the cross from landing on one side of his face, only to have it land on the other side. If your opponent sees you move then he'll just change the angle of his cross, which was what happened at 4:45. He thought the cross was coming down the middle but it didn't.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I doubt that Kung Fu is affected that much by him.
It's not. Most people who I know that train kung fu with an instructor get a good laugh off of Jake Mace. The only ones that would be affected are those who try to only learn kung fu through youtube videos and decide to pick him as the guy to study from.
I think people who have been punched hard before are safe from Jake. Stuff like this doesn't even register for me, just from me being punched as a kid. Kids don't attack the way. As an adult, adults don't attack this way. As a martial arts student, other students don't attack like that. The only way I could possible see this as realistic for me is if I have never been punched or in a fight. Even in slow motion it looks like he's struggling to pull it off.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not. Most people who I know that train kung fu with an instructor get a good laugh off of Jake Mace. The only ones that would be affected are those who try to only learn kung fu through youtube videos and decide to pick him as the guy to study from.
I think people who have been punched hard before are safe from Jake. Stuff like this doesn't even register for me, just from me being punched as a kid. Kids don't attack the way. As an adult, adults don't attack this way. As a martial arts student, other students don't attack like that. The only way I could possible see this as realistic for me is if I have never been punched or in a fight. Even in slow motion it looks like he's struggling to pull it off.

Pointing out why he's wrong as you do is fine as I said, it's incompetence perhaps he's deluding himself ( which doesn't make him a liar if he believes his stuff works) but I don't get why all the woes of the world are placed at his feet by some. All styles have their problems with instructors who aren't as good as they think they are, still doesn't make them fakes or frauds just not very good instructors. Perhaps he's the victim of a not very good instructor himself, these things do tend to perpetuate themselves.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pointing out why he's wrong as you do is fine as I said, it's incompetence perhaps he's deluding himself ( which doesn't make him a liar if he believes his stuff works) but I don't get why all the woes of the world are placed at his feet by some. All styles have their problems with instructors who aren't as good as they think they are, still doesn't make them fakes or frauds just not very good instructors. Perhaps he's the victim of a not very good instructor himself, these things do tend to perpetuate themselves.

The only thing that worries me is that he puts on Anti-Rape and self defense seminars for women....which worries me because he is a very good salesman and can make people believe he knows what he is talking about.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing that worries me is that he puts on Anti-Rape and self defense seminars for women....which worries me because he is a very good salesman and can make people believe he knows what he is talking about.

He's not alone though, most self defence for women is taught by men and from a man's perspective. To be honest his may well be as good any anyone else's. Shakesville: Five Reasons Why "Teach Women Self-Defense" Isn't a Comprehensive Solution to Rape

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There is a post somewhere here on MT, that I am not going to look for, that was made by Clfsean. He posted the history of Jake Mace and the training he received and why he separated from that group. I was part of that thread, but I cannot remember the title. So if anyone is that interested it is on here somewhere.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have admitted you know nothing about him, yet you defend him anyway.

The man IS a fraud. He claims to know every style at a master level, and he is demonstrably untrained in most of them. He's been doing this for YEARS and ignores all feedback. He's a predator that targets people that can't tell the difference between real martial arts and acting.

Tell you what, look up whatever style you do(if any) and go see him do some kata or forms in that style.

I did so with WC and LOL. Just lol.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because if you practice those arts they take a long time to learn and if some love-tard starts making things up it makes people think people who practice it also look like a love-tard.
I originally said f to the u to the c to letter next to J not love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions