What do you expect students to do outside of class?

I think it's easier to practice striking arts than grappling arts on your own, too. It's a lot easier to imagine the striking than the grappling. In a sparring situation, there's a lot less contact in striking than grappling, making it less unrealistic when you practice on your own.
There are solo drills and movement exercises which can be very helpful for grapplers to practice on their own. However I don’t think it’s possible to develop a high level of application skill without training partners.

There are solo drills and movement exercises which can be very helpful for grapplers to practice on their own. However I don’t think it’s possible to develop a high level of application skill without training partners.
I've seen a lot of very good drillers. Drilling can only bring you to be great at doing the drill. Have to put it into action under pressure.

I've seen a lot of very good drillers. Drilling can only bring you to be great at doing the drill. Have to put it into action under pressure.
Sure. But doing drills when you have no partner is a long shot better than doing nothing when you have no partner.

Of course the drills need to develop attributes relevant to the combative method in order to have value.

Self-training is not suppose to "develop" any skill but to "enhance" and "polish" certain skill.

I disagree. My skills certainly developed far more due to the time I’ve spent practicing outside of class. Class time is nowhere near enough time.
We may have different definition of "develop".

IMO, the only way to "develop" a skill is through the partner drill.

You then use

- sparring/wrestling to "test" your skill.
- solo form/drill to "polish" your skill.
- weight equipment to "enhance" your skill.

We may have different definition of "develop".

IMO, the only way to "develop" a skill is through the partner drill.

You then use

- sparring/wrestling to "test" your skill.
- solo form/drill to "polish" your skill.
- weight equipment to "enhance" your skill.
I developed a good side kick by throwing thousands of side kicks outside of the school. I practiced form by kicking while standing on a small balance beam. I also simply practiced kicking in the air. I also practiced kicking a heavy bag to learn how to deliver power with good form. The number of side kicks I’ve thrown in the school is a minuscule fraction of the number I’ve thrown while practicing on my own.

I’ve practiced combinations that included the side kick, on my own, while visualizing an engagement against an enemy. That is relevant to being able to deliver the technique against an opponent. A partner is needed to polish the interaction and delivery. But you can make a whole lot of progress by yourself.

If class time is not available everyday, you can still practice everyday and make huge progress that you would not otherwise make. If you have the attitude that you can only practice when you have a partner, you will severely limit yourself.

I developed a good side kick by throwing thousands of side kicks outside of the school.
If one can develop MA skill all by himself, he can live in the mountain for 10 years. One day when he comes down from that mountain, he will become a MA master.

I used to believe this. Today, I don't.

train-on-mountain.png

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back