What do you do to improve ypur kuzushi?

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys do to improve your kuzushi?

I usually do kuzushi in isolation: I split it into a pull on the sleeve, a pull on the collar, the two pulls (collar and sleeve) and then the two pulls with turn (hikidashi).
Here's a video of what I usually like to do:

Have you already done this training?
Do you do something different?

Let's talk about it!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In your video, your opponent's right free hand can give you some trouble.

I like to drag my opponent in circle. When I move toward my opponent's right side, his back left hand won't give me any trouble (too far to reach me).

my-tearing.gif

Last edited:
OP
D

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I like to drag my opponent in circle. When I move toward my opponent's right side, his back left hand won't give me any trouble (too far to reach me).

my-tearing.gif
No, this is just a technical improvement and strengthening exercise, not free grappling or randori.

Good point of view

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, this is just a technical improvement and strengthening exercise, not free grappling or randori.
I like to train the same way as I may use in wrestling. I like to know where my opponent's hands are all the time. I believe the more that I can disable my opponent's arms, the less chance that my opponent can counter me, the more chance that my throw will succeed.

Last edited:
OP
D

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like to train the same way as I may use in wrestling. I like to know where my opponent's hands are all the time. I believe the more that I can disable my opponent's arms, the less chance that my opponent can counter me, the more chance that my throw will succeed.
Good point. 👏👏

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It seems to me that not too many people in this forum want to join in the throwing skill discussion. Most people prefer to talk about striking skill and ground skill instead.

Does anybody know why?

Last edited:
OP
D

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me that not too many people in this forum want to join in the throwing skill discussion. Most people prefer to talk about striking skill and ground skill instead.

Does anybody know why?
I have no Ideia, I am new here.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you already done this training?

Let's talk about it!
For me, that is too much arm and upper body work. When you are not the bigger guy, using arm strength to lift and drag the bigger guy is much harder to do. Yes, I see the knee bend.... but once you raise up, then go onto your toes, you use your arms to do the dragging.

I like to accomplish kuzushi using my feet. I use my arms as little as possible. The idea is to connect my weight to the other guy, then move my weight, such that the new center of balance breaks his posture.

If we start with a judo grip (sleeve and lapel) but with our feet square. (my feet are on my edge of the box, uke's feet are on his edge) The only thing I want to do with my arms, is keep them where they are in relation to my body. As in, my arms do not move at all. However, my arms do need to maintain a connection to uke. The weight of my arms hanging down, should provide that connection. When I move to get my kuzushi, my arms do not move... but they do maintain the connection to uke.

If my left hand has the sleeve... then I move my left foot back, about an inch. As a I set my weight back on my left heel, it brings uke forward a bit and starts a rotation... to my left, uke's right. Since I put my weight on my left, I am now free to bring my right foot across the front for which ever hip throw I want.

If I kept my arms from doing anything, then I kept uke's head and shoulders in front of me the entire time. The entire throw should feel like I am pushing him over my hip, not pulling him up and over.

When I want a bigger kusuzhi... from the same starting position... instead of stepping my left foot back... I can make a quarter turn to my left, and step forward with my left. Again, my arms do nothing, but maintain their frame. Here, since I stepped completely onto my left... I can step across with my right and complete the throw. Again, uke's head and shoulders stay in front of me the entire time.

These drills transition nicely into randori. When the other guy drives forward, you can step back with him, bringing him further than he intended... into your throw. Anytime the other guy has a foot off the mat, you can quarter turn towards the foot and step out... If he is retreating, you can step in with the quarter turn (variation of the second example above) and still get your kuzushi.

All of these involve using your footwork to create the kuzushi. Meaning, your feet did the work of moving your body weight, to effect the kuzushi. This works against guys way bigger and stronger than you, as you move with them and add to their movement... taking them a little further than they intended with a step. No over powering needed. Sure, there is a weight difference that is too much fore this method.... but it is a lot bigger difference than if you are using strength to lift and pull the guy.

OP
D

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me, that is too much arm and upper body work. When you are not the bigger guy, using arm strength to lift and drag the bigger guy is much harder to do. Yes, I see the knee bend.... but once you raise up, then go onto your toes, you use your arms to do the dragging.

I like to accomplish kuzushi using my feet. I use my arms as little as possible. The idea is to connect my weight to the other guy, then move my weight, such that the new center of balance breaks his posture.

If we start with a judo grip (sleeve and lapel) but with our feet square. (my feet are on my edge of the box, uke's feet are on his edge) The only thing I want to do with my arms, is keep them where they are in relation to my body. As in, my arms do not move at all. However, my arms do need to maintain a connection to uke. The weight of my arms hanging down, should provide that connection. When I move to get my kuzushi, my arms do not move... but they do maintain the connection to uke.

If my left hand has the sleeve... then I move my left foot back, about an inch. As a I set my weight back on my left heel, it brings uke forward a bit and starts a rotation... to my left, uke's right. Since I put my weight on my left, I am now free to bring my right foot across the front for which ever hip throw I want.

If I kept my arms from doing anything, then I kept uke's head and shoulders in front of me the entire time. The entire throw should feel like I am pushing him over my hip, not pulling him up and over.

When I want a bigger kusuzhi... from the same starting position... instead of stepping my left foot back... I can make a quarter turn to my left, and step forward with my left. Again, my arms do nothing, but maintain their frame. Here, since I stepped completely onto my left... I can step across with my right and complete the throw. Again, uke's head and shoulders stay in front of me the entire time.

These drills transition nicely into randori. When the other guy drives forward, you can step back with him, bringing him further than he intended... into your throw. Anytime the other guy has a foot off the mat, you can quarter turn towards the foot and step out... If he is retreating, you can step in with the quarter turn (variation of the second example above) and still get your kuzushi.

All of these involve using your footwork to create the kuzushi. Meaning, your feet did the work of moving your body weight, to effect the kuzushi. This works against guys way bigger and stronger than you, as you move with them and add to their movement... taking them a little further than they intended with a step. No over powering needed. Sure, there is a weight difference that is too much fore this method.... but it is a lot bigger difference than if you are using strength to lift and pull the guy.
Yes, a lot of arms are used and the objective is exactly that, to gain strength in the arms, so that when you use your whole body, your arms are strong to bring your opponent.
And if you notice, I always start with square feet, the beginning of the kuzushi should be in your fighting position (right leg in front if you are right-handed and left leg in front if you are left-handed). If you spin before pulling, the probability that you will be counterattacked is high!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you spin before pulling, the probability that you will be counterattacked is high!
If A has

1. 2 grips on B while B has only 1 grip on A,
2. 1 grip on B while B has no grip on A,

The chance that B may counter A can be small.

This is why before we start to apply our throws, we try to achieve 1, or 2.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of arms are used and the objective is exactly that, to gain strength in the arms, so that when you use your whole body, your arms are strong to bring your opponent.
If the goal of the drill is to develop arm strength, I am sure it does that. If the goal is to develop good kuzushi, it does that as well, so long as you are the stronger guy. Those of us that are not as strong as you are, have to find a different way.

If you spin before pulling, the probability that you will be counterattacked is high!
I never said to spin before pulling. I said, don't pull... push. That means that uke's head and shoulders are always in front of you... which makes counterattacks a bit harder. I don't turn my back on my opponent and hope I can pull him over the top. I take his balance, break his structure and then push him over my hip. It makes a difference.

Latest Discussions