My favorite Uchi Mata

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is the approach to Uchi Mata that I like to do when fighting someone with the opposite grip (left × right)

What do you do to approach and enter the Uchi Mata of someone who is far from you or with the opposite grip?
*I know in the end it looked like a Hane Goshi, but it was supposed to be Uchi Mata. 😂
@kaizenkanjudo

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. Inside of my partner left leg.
You may be a left-hand person. Your video shows Spring Hip Throw (Hane Goshi).

In my understanding, the leg lifting throw is to use your left leg to lift the inside of your opponent's right leg.

In the following clip, A uses right leg to lift the inside of B's left leg (at 1.31).

leg_lift.jpg

Last edited:
OP
D

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You may be a left-hand person. Your video shows Spring Hip Throw (Hane Goshi).

In my understanding, the leg lifting throw is to use your left leg to lift the inside of your opponent's right leg.

In the following clip, A uses right leg to lift the inside of B's left leg (at 1.31).

View attachment 29715

I do it differently. I explain in the video that I do it that way to avoid Uchi Mata Sukashi.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you do to approach and enter the Uchi Mata of someone who is far from you or with the opposite grip?
The following are common combos.

Using your left leg to

- lift your opponent's right leg, you then use left leg to lift his left leg. This needs 2 lifts.

- twist on your opponent's right leg, you then use left leg to lift his left leg. This only need 1 lift and it's faster.

OP
D

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean to avoid Uchi Mata Sukashi?

Whether you use left leg to attack your opponent's left leg, or right leg, the set up will be different.
Uchi Mata Sukashi is Uchi Mata counter.
The way I do, is to avoid the max possible to be counter attacked.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Uchi Mata Sukashi is Uchi Mata counter.
The way I do, is to avoid the max possible to be counter attacked.
The best counter for leg lift is to "ride". Someone counters my friend's leg lift and put my friend in wheelchair for the rest of his life.

IMO, leg lift is a nice "door opening" move. It's the most difficult throw to counter. When you use left leg to lift your opponent's right leg up in the air, you can drop your left leg and sweep his left leg in very fast speed.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do BJJ guys train the leg lift throw (Uchi Mata)? Any BJJ guy want to comment on this?
Yep, it's part of our curriculum. (Although the Judo guys tend to be better at it than we are because they spend more time on it.)

The throw as demonstrated in the video does look more like hane goshi to me. That's a good throw, but I suck at it so I wouldn't presume to offer feedback.

As far as avoiding the uchi mata sukashi counter, I find the big key is dominant control of the opponent's upper body. If you have his posture broken and his body twisted, it's hard for him to step his leg around for the counter.

Speaking of which, Danniwell, it looks like your initial kuzushi was along the lines of how it is classically taught - bringing the opponent upwards and on to his toes. Personally I've had more success with the way I see it commonly executed in competition - with more emphasis on forcing the opponent's head downwards. But my Judo skill are pretty mediocre, so maybe that's just me.

OP
D

Danniwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At the end of the post I put that it looked like a Hane Goshi, but the intention was that it was an Uchi kata. 🤣

Regarding Kuzushi, this is traditional and what I usually use, but depending on the situation and my opponent's stance, I may change to what you said. There is no rule, if the opponent changes, probably the way I enter will change too.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
to step his leg around for the counter.
When your opponent tries to step over your leg lift throw, he puts weight on the other leg, it gives you a chance to:

- sweep,
- shin bite,
- single leg,
- leg break,
- outer leg twist,

on his other leg. Sometimes you just want your opponent to escape out of your 1st throw, you can then take advantage on his weight shifting and move into your 2nd throw.

IMO, leg lift (or leg spring) is a door opening move. It opens door for many other throws. It can be the root of a tree. You can grow a full tree out of it.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When your opponent tries to step over your leg lift throw, he puts weight on the other leg, it gives you a chance to:

- sweep,
- shin bite,
- single leg,
- leg break,
- outer leg twist,

on his other leg. Sometimes you just want your opponent to escape out of your 1st throw, you can then take advantage on his weight shifting and move into your 2nd throw.

IMO, leg lift (or leg spring) is a door opening move. It opens door for many other throws. It can be the root of a tree. You can grow a full tree out of it.
Yep. That's why successful application of the counter is a matter of timing. The idea is that you evade your opponent's lifting leg so smoothly that he doesn't immediately realize your leg is gone and continues attempting his initial throw while you have already started your counter. I believe the expression I've seen you use is "leading your opponent into emptiness." (At least that's the way I like to do the counter. There are probably other ways.)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

- sweep,
- shin bite,
- single leg,
- leg break,
- outer leg twist,

My favorite follow-up to a failed uchimata is to use the foot of the leg I was lifting with to grab behind my opponent's support foot to hold it in place long enough to do an ankle pick.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the approach to Uchi Mata that I like to do when fighting someone with the opposite grip (left × right)

*I know in the end it looked like a Hane Goshi, but it was supposed to be Uchi Mata. 😂
@kaizenkanjudo
I would love to see the little guy throw the bigger guy, at least once in the video... using the method being demonstrated.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My favorite follow-up to a failed uchimata is to use the foot of the leg I was lifting with to grab behind my opponent's support foot to hold it in place long enough to do an ankle pick.
Something like this. You can use "leg lift" or "leg spring" to set up.

This is faster but require better timing.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would love to see the little guy throw the bigger guy, at least once in the video... using the method being demonstrated.
The leg lift throw is used for a tall person to throw a short person (or the same height).

The set of throwing skill that a short person trains (low body control) is different from a tall person train (upper body control).

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The leg lift throw is used for a tall person to throw a short person (or the same height).

The set of throwing skill that a short person trains (low body control) is different from a tall person train (upper body control).
Seems to work pretty well for the short person...

see throws at 0:21 (second throw shown) 2:36 and 4:47

got the outer leg lift as well at 3:26 and 5:50

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seems to work pretty well for the short person...

see throws at 0:21 (second throw shown) 2:36 and 4:47

got the outer leg lift as well at 3:26 and 5:50
It's relative and not absolute. The longer your legs are, the easier for you to use leg lift. The longer distance between your hand grips and your leg contact point, the more power that you can generate in your leg lift.

Latest Discussions