What can I expect if I start studdying Wing Chung?

jay111

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been studying Taekwon DO for 20 years. And I am considering studdying another art now that I have gotten my masters certification. What can I expect if I start studying Wing Chung? WIll my experience in Taekwon DO help me at all?

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Jay,

There's an old saying - To make a great striker a great wrestler -10 years. To make a great wrestler a great striker - 1 year." Unless you've done some grappling type experience in your TKD training (which i understand is not common) you'll have a hard time adjusting your stances and responses to take pressure to your center of gravity.

The good part is (IMO) most WC doesn't have a very solid long range game. You've already got experience there so it will help.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have been studying Taekwon DO for 20 years. And I am considering studdying another art now that I have gotten my masters certification. What can I expect if I start studying Wing Chung? WIll my experience in Taekwon DO help me at all?

With 20 yrs doing just TKD, you experience may help you or it may make the new learning experience an nightmare, I had Tang Soo Do backgroung. We are talking about martial arts from the opposite end of the spectrum, big long range movement vs compact close in-your-face defend and counter at the same time (some times can be carried out with the same defending arm). My advise if you choose WC, pretty much "forget" the TKD or any other art which had in-grained in you, the mind set and guiding principles are like night and day. Good luck and have fun.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
definitely come with an empty cup, WC is very different, even compared to other kung fu styles.
You are going from Korean to Chinese, so you may see a big difference in the approach...it is not as structured, it is more laid back as a rule. (obviously this varies between schools)
There is the difference between hard style and soft style and between a sport/tournamnet approach and a system that is not a sport style at all.

What you are bringing to the table in the way of self dicipline, work ethic, coordination, fighting spirit, ability to learn with your body, and so on, will be a big help to you, but speaking from experience, don't try to blend your previous training with WC.
When I began my WC training, I left my previous 14 years of kung fu at the door and embraced WC.
It took some doing, but after awhile, your body will become, comfortable with the new way.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The physical and mental skills you have obtained from your training should help you. However, Wing Chun is very different from TKD. Some things you do in TKD will conflict with solid WC basics. You will have to empty your cup, so you are open to training your mind in a different way to think and your body in a different way to move. Depends on you how difficult that will be.

Good luck with your training and welcome to the dark side :)

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your previous martial arts training will not help you phyically because:

1. We don't punch the same
2. We don't kick the same
3. We don't block, we parry
4. Most times we simultaneously parry and attack.
5. The art is a principle based art not technique based
6. We don't have as many forms
7. We have the unique drill of chi sao
8. It is a more touchy feely art
9. It is a softer art, not using as much power or force to perform

I'm sure there's a lot more I'm missing, but those are just the basics.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Your previous martial arts training will not help you phyically because:

1. We don't punch the same
2. We don't kick the same
3. We don't block, we parry
4. Most times we simultaneously parry and attack.
5. The art is a principle based art not technique based
6. We don't have as many forms
7. We have the unique drill of chi sao
8. It is a more touchy feely art
9. It is a softer art, not using as much power or force to perform

I'm sure there's a lot more I'm missing, but those are just the basics.

How about trapping techniques, ie arm trap, leg trap and body trap ... works great on your wife, mistress, girl friend or ....:p

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about trapping techniques, ie arm trap, leg trap and body trap ... works great on your wife, mistress, girl friend or ....:p

......all three.
And if they are all three in the same room with you, you better know how to fight.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

......all three.
And if they are all three in the same room with you, you better know how to fight.

That is a good one Yak Sao, with all three women in the same room, aahhh ... heaven, however ... even if I get my butt whoop, I still win.:ladysman:

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

I didn't list trapping because I consider it part of simultaneous blocking and attacking. But yes, we could add that too.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
You must have pretty good technique for 20 years.
May not need it but nobody mentioned the personal development that comes with it.

Latest Discussions