How does Taekwon DO compare to Wing CHung Kung Fu

jay111

White Belt
Reaction score
I Have been in TaeKwon DO for over 20 years and Testing for my masters IN a few weeks. Im considering starting training in another art. Ive heard alot about Wing chung and Ip man. WHat is the difference? If I do take up classes what can I expect.

Im also consdering sarada. I know a lever 4 instructor in serrada escrima . Or perhaps Mauy Thai.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Muay Thai = Similar to TKD albeit with less moves. The Cardio is great though. Wing Chun is a completely different Martial Art to TKD which involves mostly Relaxed, Speed oriented Techniques, with litte emphasis on Power Striking. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing, its a question of preference. Escrima is a Stickfighting and Wrestling type Art. Ip Man is a Person and a Movie, if im not mistaken. No idea what Sarada is. Perhaps ask in the Wing Chun forum what to expect from Wing Chun, instead of asking Taekwon-Do Practitioners?

OP
J

jay111

White Belt
Reaction score
I know Ip man was a man. Inereasting. He was a master in Wing CHung and one of the greatest masters if im not mistaken. Which has got me interested in seeing what its all about. Sarrada is an escrema style. Philippine art. You are right. I should be asking in the chinese section. Ok

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was looking at starting wing chun a little while ago when I had a bit of spare time on my hands. I went to the wing chun section of martial talk and asked the question there regarding the transition from tkd to wing chun. They were quite helpful and offered some good avice. I would advise you go to the wing chun section and try to find the thread.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Muay Thai = Similar to TKD albeit with less moves. The Cardio is great though. Wing Chun is a completely different Martial Art to TKD which involves mostly Relaxed, Speed oriented Techniques, with litte emphasis on Power Striking. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing, its a question of preference. Escrima is a Stickfighting and Wrestling type Art. Ip Man is a Person and a Movie, if im not mistaken. No idea what Sarada is. Perhaps ask in the Wing Chun forum what to expect from Wing Chun, instead of asking Taekwon-Do Practitioners?
We have had a few from our club go and train muay thai because they too, thought it was similar but found there are many subtle differences in stances, the way you throw kicks, the way you chamber kicks etc and actually found the transition to be quite difficult as they had to 'unlearn' a lot of their tkd to try and learn muay thai. The most successful 'fusion' of an art to tkd that Ive seen is boxing. I train with a first dan and a 5th dan who have a lot of boxing experience and when tkd gets combined with boxing the result is deadly. They are two guys I really hate to spar, they just punch and kick holes in people and if you watch for their kicks they will punch the hell out of you but if you watch for their hands they kick the crap out of you. Really good combination of arts.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have had a few from our club go and train muay thai because they too, thought it was similar but found there are many subtle differences in stances, the way you throw kicks, the way you chamber kicks etc and actually found the transition to be quite difficult as they had to 'unlearn' a lot of their tkd to try and learn muay thai. The most successful 'fusion' of an art to tkd that Ive seen is boxing. I train with a first dan and a 5th dan who have a lot of boxing experience and when tkd gets combined with boxing the result is deadly. They are two guys I really hate to spar, they just punch and kick holes in people and if you watch for their kicks they will punch the hell out of you but if you watch for their hands they kick the crap out of you. Really good combination of arts.
Funny you should mention that - Our Assistant Instructer is a former Boxer. On the one hand, where I train, its already mostly Hand Techniques. But i think it has to do with the Angles present in Boxing, which makes it such a good blend. If that makes any sense. The sense of Angles and Leaning.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The biggest difference Ive found with boxing generally is that you are either south paw or orthodox whereas in tkd you constantly switch and are equally comfortable with either hand forward. The guys who studied boxing tend to be more reluctant to switch as they are a lot more comfortable in their favoured stance.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that - Our Assistant Instructer is a former Boxer. On the one hand, where I train, its already mostly Hand Techniques. But i think it has to do with the Angles present in Boxing, which makes it such a good blend. If that makes any sense. The sense of Angles and Leaning.

I know a MA who trains some in boxing. He also speaks of angles. Sounds fascinating. I wish I had the time and opportunity to try.