What can a boxer gain from WC?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course! I love jujitsu, I would go so far to say that it's concepts of pressure and control make it more similar to Wing Chun than any stand up style.

Pressure and control is a meta concept. I have seen pressure fighters from different styles.

Chun seems to think everyone can be a mug style fighter all the time. I personally think people are shooting themselves in the foot.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pressure and control is a meta concept. I have seen pressure fighters from different styles.

Chun seems to think everyone can be a mug style fighter all the time. I personally think people are shooting themselves in the foot.
I hate that line of thinking too.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know. I only know in terms of what I have learned and my experiences. In the systems I have studied, yes.
I have cross trained all the following CMA systems. As far as I know,

- long fist doesn't have flying knee.
- Preying mantis doesn't have flying side kick.
- Baji does have hay-maker.
- Zimen doesn't have roundhouse kick.
- White ape doesn't have hip throw.
- Taiji doesn't have side kick.
- XingYi doesn't have leg twist.
- Bagua doesn't have ...

Is WC the only CMA system that's "complete"?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as I know,

- Bagua doesn't have ...

The statement "the system isn't limited to its forms" does not mean anything or everything is in the system. Every system is limited just as every person is limited. I don't believe any one system is 'complete'.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have cross trained all the following CMA systems. As far as I know,

- Bagua doesn't have ...

I'm not sure about the other ones, but since I know Tai Chi and Longfist, I can say with certainty that: Tai Chi has a side kick, and Longfist has a flying knee.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish. Not sure with how those help in terms of fighting though.
In terms of fighting...

I don't see anyone winning fights using pure wing chun. Maybe yours, since it seems to incorporate every style and strike ever invented, but certainly not the kind that is recognizable as wing chun.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can assure you no boxing was added. What happened is that each generation went out and fought, and the result is what it is. The Wing Chun mechanic and system is maintained. When you have a choy lee fut guy swinging his arm at your head in a beimo fight, you learn to duck.

Each generation went out and fought and found that certain boxing elements helped them win. These elements were incorporated. In our modern culture boxing has been part of the "consciousness" for several generations. I can assure you that you wouldn't have seen the same evolution of your Wing Chun lineage had it been isolated to central China with no exposure to western culture regardless of how much they were fighting with it. If nothing else, sparring or fighting against opponents using some form of western boxing is going to lead to defenses and movement that resembles western boxing. There is no discounting the influence of western boxing when you start talking about your system having bobbing and weaving and slipping and such. I think we have been seeing an evolution towards a "Wing Chun boxing" to some degree or another for awhile now, whether people recognize and acknowledge it or not. Because, as I said before, it is highly unlikely that Ip Man was doing those things!

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
In terms of fighting...

I don't see anyone winning fights using pure wing chun. Maybe yours, since it seems to incorporate every style and strike ever invented, but certainly not the kind that is recognizable as wing chun.

I think it depends again on environment. If I’m out say at a store and someone starts with me and gets in my face, pure WC could absolutely help you win a fight. In a boxing ring, no.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it depends again on environment. If I’m out say at a store and someone starts with me and gets in my face, pure WC could absolutely help you win a fight. In a boxing ring, no.
Wing Chun has helped me win all of my fights(aside from the ones I've lost!) mostly because I know when it is and isn't applicable.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just think context is key. I think everyone would agree on that. To make WC sport combat suitable it has to be somewhat modified IMO. I don’t have enough experience with it to say for sure, but from what I’ve seen across the board really seems to suggest that.

Which is why I now realize how silly the argument or debate is about WC vs MMA/UFC or boxing really is.

If I’m at Target in an aisle WC would serve me well. LOL If I’m in an octagon, starting from outside of WC’s range, of course it will struggle to be effective. If I’m on the street I will do everything I can to avoid a fight.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
There really isn't THAT big a difference between a cage fight and a street fight, the fundamentals are basically the same. Yes, a cage fight has rules and a street fight doesn't, but if your fundamentals are good the added elements of eye pokes and groin kicks(the two main things disallowed in a cage) should work for you and not against you.

The rest boils down to an awareness of your surroundings that good training should cultivate anyhow.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it comes down to the adaptability of the individual.
Empty hand fighting is empty hand fighting, punching is punching, kicking is kicking...etc.
If one trains and practices vs straight line punching only when confronted with curved or looping punches you will either adapt in some manner or get struck.
The training system is a method to learn don't be a slave to the system. Adaptability is key.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Danny T. Adaptability is key. You have to be dynamic when you fight. If you're just some passive pussy with a man wu Sau pretending to be an Ip man statue, of course you're gonna get rocked. Development in Wing Chun is different from application.

Latest Discussions