What can a boxer gain from WC?

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
You can tell quality WC from poor WC. It can be fluid. I used to think that but realized I was wrong.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would consider Wing Chun more of a Gourmet meal myself.
I guess that depends on context. In the context of effectiveness in fighting and sparring, there might be a few courses missing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's called "**** Wing Chun". The idea that in Wing Chun you stand still like a Ip Man statue is propogated by students of Ip man who trained for maybe 2 years before opening up they're own school.
i thought there was only one wing Chun? I'm aware that some styles have integrated boxing moves, abd that seems like,a wise thing, i think they call it wing Chun boxing, but integrating wing chun movies in to boxing would be like integrating a,spectrum 64 with an iPad, it can only make it worse

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
i thought there was only one wing Chun? I'm aware that some styles have integrated boxing moves, abd that seems like,a wise thing, i thing they call it wing Chun boxing, but integrating wing chun movies in to boxing would be like integrating a,spectrum 64 with an iPad, it can only make it worse
How many years have you trained in Wing Chun?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
about as many as i have,using a spectrum 64, that doesn't mean my views on the usefulness of either are compromised.

they were both ok in the distant past,
So none then.

Do you think the views of someone that has never trained in a style should been seen as comprehensive?

Also, what do you think of JKD?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So none then.

Do you think the views of someone that has never trained in a style should been seen as comprehensive?

Also, what do you think of JKD?
i don't consider my view as comprehensive, merely definitive

so go on then which wing Chun move would greatly enhance boxing?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definitive? With 0 experience?

Ok then.

And I already answered that question earlier in the thread.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ok let me put it a different way. You do realize that boxing is actually older than WC I assume.

So with that said, how do you think someone would fare in today's ring using the skillset of say, John l Sullivan?

Reactions: KPM

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Definitive? With 0 experience?

Ok then.

And I already answered that question earlier in the thread.
well who's view should count with me more than my own, i don't need to waste some years of my life to come to the exactly same conclusion as i have now.

there are a considerable number of things I've come to the quite reasonable conclusion to avoid, with out having tried them out, these range from eating dog poo to borrowing of a loan shark, wing Chun is in the middle some where

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok let me put it a different way. You do realize that boxing is actually older than WC I assume.

So with that said, how do you think someone would fare in today's ring using the skillset of say, John l Sullivan?
well yes, boxing has evolved through competing, if it doesn't work to well it gets dropped, if it does it get adapted by others.

that's the very reason that boxing and mma are superior, and wing Chun is not

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't think any Wing Chun move would necessarily enhance boxing as a sport. But there is a lot within WC that addresses areas deficient in boxing as self defense. Close, low kicks, grabbing, trapping and controlling ...that sport boxing can't use because of gloves, and so on.

The problem is, I believe other arts found within the MMA spectrum address some of these issues in a way that would be easier to assimilate into boxing than Wing Chun. So I wouldn't try marketing WC to a boxer as a way of improving their self-defense skills either.

Ultimately, I thing WC is it's own thing. And for all Jobo's tactless, in-your-face, killer clown comments... well, as usual, he does have a point. WC is probably in more need of adapting to the modern world than boxing. This is why I'm interested in and supportive of the efforts of people like Alan Orr and our own KPM.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
well who's view should count with me more than my own, i don't need to waste some years of my life to come to the exactly same conclusion as i have now.

there are a considerable number of things I've come to the quite reasonable conclusion to avoid, with out having tried them out, these range from eating dog poo to borrowing of a loan shark, wing Chun is in the middle some where

Well you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is admittedly completely uninformed. I have a ton of experience and training in both of these things, so you'll excuse me if I don't put too much weight on what you have to say on this matter.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is admittedly completely uninformed. I have a ton of experience and training in both of these things, so you'll excuse me if I don't put too much weight on what you have to say on this matter.
you might have a point except that nothing you have said about incorporating wing Chun moves into boxing disagree with my view, so there we are, you have x years experiance and i don't, but we came to the same conclusion .
i do have kung fu experience, not fortunately the wing Chun variety, go image if i had wasted two years of my life on that, id be very bitter

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, you didn't answer my question about JKD.

Is it also ****? It heavily mixes boxing and wc

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
you might have a point except that nothing you have said about incorporating wing Chun moves into boxing disagree with my view, so there we are, you have x years experiance and i don't, but we came to the same conclusion .
i do have kung fu experience, not fortunately the wing Chun variety, go image if i had wasted two years of my life on that, id be very bitter
Again, I already gave a LIST of WC elements I personally incorporate. Where we might agree is that WC in it's current state is insufficient as a stand alone art for fighting

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

My! What an open mind you have Jobo the clown! :rolleyes: