What belt to wear?

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
My 7 year old son studies Tae Kwon Do (Blue Belt)but he also studies Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Grey Belt). As part of his Tae Kwon Do program, he participates in traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu in which they issue belts...he is a white belt because he hasn't bothered to test for any belts as it is only a part time thing.

During his Tae Kwon Do tournaments, he participates in sports Jiu Jitsu where all the competitors wear their Jiu Jitsu belts. My (his) question is which belt should (can) he wear? Can he wear his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu belt or should he wear his Japanese Jiu Jitsu belt?

My advice to him was to wear what ever belt he wants since he has earned all of them. I lean towards his BJJ belt since it's what he is most proud of AND it is the art which he uses the most when he competes in that particular event. Which belt SHOULD he wear if any?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 7 year old son studies Tae Kwon Do (Blue Belt)but he also studies Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Grey Belt). As part of his Tae Kwon Do program, he participates in traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu in which they issue belts...he is a white belt because he hasn't bothered to test for any belts as it is only a part time thing.

During his Tae Kwon Do tournaments, he participates in sports Jiu Jitsu where all the competitors wear their Jiu Jitsu belts. My (his) question is which belt should (can) he wear? Can he wear his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu belt or should he wear his Japanese Jiu Jitsu belt?

My advice to him was to wear what ever belt he wants since he has earned all of them. I lean towards his BJJ belt since it's what he is most proud of AND it is the art which he uses the most when he competes in that particular event. Which belt SHOULD he wear if any?

I would ask his BJJ instructor. He/she would be best able to anser that.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If its not a BJJ tourney and just a subset of a TKD tourney then he should wear his Japanese JJ belt.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
If its not a BJJ tourney and just a subset of a TKD tourney then he should wear his Japanese JJ belt.
i agree. he should wear the belt in which style he is competeing for. if its japanese jiu jitsu then wear the japanese jiu jitsu belt.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others, he should wear the belt awarded by the style he's doing.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
i agree. he should wear the belt in which style he is competeing for. if its japanese jiu jitsu then wear the japanese jiu jitsu belt.

I guess the question becomes...what is the definition of "Sports Jiu Jitsu" because that's all they call it? ...I ask because part of the program was a grappling seminar taught by a Ceasar Gracie instructor which was obviously Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Unfortunately, there's a lot of grey area here.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess the question becomes...what is the definition of "Sports Jiu Jitsu" because that's all they call it? ...I ask because part of the program was a grappling seminar taught by a Ceasar Gracie instructor which was obviously Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Unfortunately, there's a lot of grey area here.
Good rule of thumb...If the tourney doesnt specify that it is a BJJ tourney...9 times out of 10 its not. Also a white belt and a grey belt are still beginners so does it really matter. If its that big of a deal then let him wear the grey belt, but everyone will look at you weird because to my knowledge there is no grey belt on Japanese JJ.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good rule of thumb...If the tourney doesnt specify that it is a BJJ tourney...9 times out of 10 its not. Also a white belt and a grey belt are still beginners so does it really matter. If its that big of a deal then let him wear the grey belt, but everyone will look at you weird because to my knowledge there is no grey belt on Japanese JJ.

Yes, all the "kiddy" belts are just levels of white belt but I guess when your 7 years old, it's a big deal. :)
If I recall, one of the teens in the "Jiu Jitsu" program wears her brown belt which I understand is actually her Judo belt because I know she's a Tae Kwon Do black belt. I guess I will leave it up to him since it's his tourney.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
By the way, does anyone know the belt order for those under 16 years old in Gracie/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? Specifically, he's under Ralph Gracie if that makes a difference.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score

i agree.

whatever style is specified should be with a corresponding belt. but if it doesn't specify then i guess any of the jiu jitsu belts should be fine.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
By the way, does anyone know the belt order for those under 16 years old in Gracie/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? Specifically, he's under Ralph Gracie if that makes a difference.
This comes from the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation.

Belt system and its related ages
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I . WHITE – Beginner, any age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]II. GREY – 04 to 06 years of age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]III. YELLOW – 07 to 15 years of age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IV. ORANGE – 10 to 15 years of age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V. GREEN – 13 to 15 years of age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VI. BLUE – 16 years of age or older[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VII. PURPLE – 16 years of age or older[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VIII. BROWN – 18 years of age or older[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IX. BLACK – 19 years of age or older[/FONT]

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
This comes from the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation.

Belt system and its related ages
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I . WHITE – Beginner, any age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]II. GREY – 04 to 06 years of age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]III. YELLOW – 07 to 15 years of age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IV. ORANGE – 10 to 15 years of age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V. GREEN – 13 to 15 years of age[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VI. BLUE – 16 years of age or older[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VII. PURPLE – 16 years of age or older[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VIII. BROWN – 18 years of age or older[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IX. BLACK – 19 years of age or older[/FONT]

perfect...thanks

oh, is it safe to assume that most (if not all) Gracie schools abide by this rule?

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
perfect...thanks

oh, is it safe to assume that most (if not all) Gracie schools abide by this rule?
To be honest with you its not safe to assume any rules, because there are always exceptions. People have progressed to black belt in less than the minimum mandatory time in rank so who really knows. But they SHOULD be.

The website is www.ibjjf.org

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes not all schools abide by this belt rank system. Specifically the age areas.
icon6.gif

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it is just a "jiujitsu" tournament that is the typical sports grappling, I would say he should compete in the division of his highest rank. The purpose of tournaments is to test your skills against people of around the same rank and experience.

Again, I would find out who is putting on the tournament, who it is open to, and what the categories to compete are. Then talk to them and explain what would the best solution be.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
perfect...thanks

I don't know about Gracie schools, but our kids rank white, yellow, orange, green and then blue, although they never get to blue. Each belt has four stripes, so there are a lot of steps along the way. Age has little to do with promotion, expect that I don't think our coach would award a blue belt to anyone under 16 years old. The only real glaring difference seems to be that I've never heard of a grey belt. Other than that, the range of ages seems prety much in line.

Often, with the kids, they are "promoted" to the adult class before they even get close to blue belt.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about Gracie schools, but our kids rank white, yellow, orange, green and then blue, although they never get to blue. Each belt has four stripes, so there are a lot of steps along the way. Age has little to do with promotion, expect that I don't think our coach would award a blue belt to anyone under 16 years old. The only real glaring difference seems to be that I've never heard of a grey belt. Other than that, the range of ages seems prety much in line.

Often, with the kids, they are "promoted" to the adult class before they even get close to blue belt.
Grey is a belt recognized by the IBJJF...not to say that all schools use it.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Grey is a belt recognized by the IBJJF...not to say that all schools use it.

Technically, all belts below Blue are junior belt levels of white, right? Is this a recent thing or has this been around in Brazil for a while? Also, could it be that prior to recent years, people didn't start so young so there was no need to accomodate children as young as 6 years old?

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Technically, all belts below Blue are junior belt levels of white, right? Is this a recent thing or has this been around in Brazil for a while? Also, could it be that prior to recent years, people didn't start so young so there was no need to accomodate children as young as 6 years old?
Yes they are considered junior belt ranks of white. Even the underage gracies have to wear the junior belts. There is no preferential treatment for them. Not sure how long these colors have been around to be honest, but the influx of younger children is a hell of alot higher than the last 8 yrs.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a student of my brother-in-law the classes in his school were Karate, Judo/Jujutsu, Aikido, Kobudo and Kumiuchi (full Contact). We had differant belts in for each class and changed our belts for each class like it should of been.

For the gray belt kid. If it was a BJJ tourney which has a differant focus and set of rules, I don't think it would be approriate to wear JJJ rank and so vice versa.

Latest Discussions