Tae Kwon Do and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the TKD folks think of studying a combination of Tae Kwon Do and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I have a 7 year old son who has been studying TKD for 1.5 years and he just received his blue belt. He has also been studying (Gracie) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for around 5 months and just recieved his grey belt (advance white belt for children as there is no real grey belt). He loves both disciplines and especially loves TKD sparring and BJJ rolling. As part of his TKD tournament, they have a Sports Jiu Jitsu event in which TKD-style stikes are allowed until the clinch at which point no strikes are allowed. He dominates all the kids in his size/weight class and often the kids much bigger than him so it seems to be paying off. I'm thinking that the Japanese Jiu Jitsu they teach as part of the TKD curriculum is "watered down". Any thoughts?

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the TKD folks think of studying a combination of Tae Kwon Do and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I have a 7 year old son who has been studying TKD for 1.5 years and he just received his blue belt. He has also been studying (Gracie) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for around 5 months and just recieved his grey belt (advance white belt for children as there is no real grey belt). He loves both disciplines and especially loves TKD sparring and BJJ rolling. As part of his TKD tournament, they have a Sports Jiu Jitsu event in which TKD-style stikes are allowed until the clinch at which point no strikes are allowed. He dominates all the kids in his size/weight class and often the kids much bigger than him so it seems to be paying off. I'm thinking that the Japanese Jiu Jitsu they teach as part of the TKD curriculum is "watered down". Any thoughts?
Chances are most Jiu Jitsu that children that young learn is watered down to an extent. Mainly for the lack of control most young kids have with their bodies. You can be injured very badly rolling with someone who doesnt control themselves.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that if you son enjoy both MA and all is doing with safety for the kid tehere is no problem. I think that in some time when he grows and addvance on both MA he will hoose to stay with only one.

I have studied a little of judo (childhood), and shotokan and aikido but my main MA is TKD.

Mayve next year will practice alittle aikido again, maybe on saturdays or maybe twice a week just as a complement fo my TKD.

Manny

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chances are most Jiu Jitsu that children that young learn is watered down to an extent. Mainly for the lack of control most young kids have with their bodies. You can be injured very badly rolling with someone who doesnt control themselves.

The Gracie BJJ is not very watered down. Come to think of it, his TKD instructor is also very proficient. I think it all boils down to rolling time and the Gracie school provides way more rolling time.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, Gracie has the 'Kid Juitsu' whatever toning down it needed for the kids.

ITA has added BJJ to the program as a selective, after adding ground escapes and Hanmudo ( a spawn of Hapkido and something else as far as I know) as well as short sticks to the mix.

Partly a business idea, I am sure, but over all it makes sense to have more than one style to fall back on, no pun intended. One can't depend on being in a stand up situation all the time. As my instructor put it 'it makes you are more complete fighter'

There has been a discussion about the ranking in BJJ on my own forum, in regards to kids vs adults. Seems that kids do better in the long term if they have smaller intermediate goals along the way, adults can very well do on a once in 2 year advancement.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
well, Gracie has the 'Kid Juitsu' whatever toning down it needed for the kids.

ITA has added BJJ to the program as a selective, after adding ground escapes and Hanmudo ( a spawn of Hapkido and something else as far as I know) as well as short sticks to the mix.

That sounds very accurate because his TKD school is actually ITA. I, too, think this is a good idea. I know my son loves it. Everything needs to evolve and I think this is in the right direction. His instructors are surprisingly quite good at Jiu Jitsu. Back in the day, I studied Kung Fu and ground work would have been nice.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Gracie BJJ is not very watered down. Come to think of it, his TKD instructor is also very proficient. I think it all boils down to rolling time and the Gracie school provides way more rolling time.
I never said how watered down it was...my point is the real gauge here is the skill of the student. I will not go all out on a white or blue belt. Reason being they get emotional and start to do dumb things and try to hurt you.

Sorry if you took offense to my statement, but just because its "gracie Jits" doesnt mean that its the roughest toughest Jits...it just means its tried and true. Just be careful there are ALOT of schools out there that say they are affiliated with the Gracies and they really arent.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
as long as they are taught that the BJJ is for SPORT, not for Self Defense, then it sounds fine, as long as it is safe.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never said how watered down it was...my point is the real gauge here is the skill of the student. I will not go all out on a white or blue belt. Reason being they get emotional and start to do dumb things and try to hurt you.

Sorry if you took offense to my statement, but just because its "gracie Jits" doesnt mean that its the roughest toughest Jits...it just means its tried and true. Just be careful there are ALOT of schools out there that say they are affiliated with the Gracies and they really arent.

No, I apologize...I understand your point. I was just adding to it. I wasn't offended at all. In fact, I'm not the practioner so I am actually the Jiu Jitsu village idiot ;-) when it comes to practical knowledge. My early experience with MA was Kung Fu. I am fortunate that the instructors at Ralph Gracie are very good with children and emphasize safety especially with submissions. Ralph, himself, comes in at least once per week to visit the kids.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
as long as they are taught that the BJJ is for SPORT, not for Self Defense, then it sounds fine, as long as it is safe.

Curious...why not self defense?... because I am the one who tells him that if anyone tries to harm him, he has my permission to do what is necessary to keep from being harmed and leave the grown up stuff to me. (ie. teachers, parents, lawsuits, etc...)

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If he likes both then good for him, but like most I think he will eventially have to gravitate towards one. If the juijitsu is anything worth while he'll find that his body will suffer and the rigors of taking two martial arts at the same time will have its toll. Also if the kids are just rolling around and learning escapes I think that is fine but if the teacher starts to teach them chokes, like triangle chokes, and arms bars I would pull my kid. I don't think kids have the control to know when to stop. I like to see kids in Judo anyway. Most kids go to the ground when they fight and Judo can give that knowledge as well as throwing without bringing in the things like choking and arm locks and wrist locks. I think its just safer but you can only work with what is available to you in your area. I would just definitely monitor the juijitsu.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
If he likes both then good for him, but like most I think he will eventially have to gravitate towards one. If the juijitsu is anything worth while he'll find that his body will suffer and the rigors of taking two martial arts at the same time will have its toll. Also if the kids are just rolling around and learning escapes I think that is fine but if the teacher starts to teach them chokes, like triangle chokes, and arms bars I would pull my kid. I don't think kids have the control to know when to stop. I like to see kids in Judo anyway. Most kids go to the ground when they fight and Judo can give that knowledge as well as throwing without bringing in the things like choking and arm locks and wrist locks. I think its just safer but you can only work with what is available to you in your area. I would just definitely monitor the juijitsu.

I've been to every class he's attended since he started almost 6 months ago and from what I've seen, his instructors put safety first. As soon as they assume a submission position, they are taught to either stop the move or have the person in the submission tap. On the other hand, when my son submits his opponents, he immediately releases as soon as he hears the ref or when he gets a tap. Even then, they are taught to apply pressure to a submission hold very carefully. Again, I've seen this first hand. I trust the Gracie system and it seems to work. Many of the more advanced kids are some of the most mellow kids I've seen. It almost looks like they're playing chess when they are rolling...it's almost very creepy...we're talking 9-11 year olds.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score

Also, I dont think it would be "real" BJJ if all they did were escapes and rolling. I enrolled him in BJJ to learn BJJ...not some limited version. What if he were to compete in a tournament and all he did were escapes? He'd get WORKED. I wouldn't want that, would I?

RobertS

White Belt
Reaction score
I think TKD and BJJ are a great combination. If you are proficient at both striking and grappling you've pretty much got your bases covered. If your son has a safe but effective place to train and compete, then I hope he continues!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
because in BJJ you WANT to be on the ground, in fact, if all you know if BJJ, you are helpless untill you are on the ground

in REAL self defense the ground isnt your friend, you dont want to be there, and while you are trying for that armbar, his cousin Bubba is gonna be kicking a hole in your face.

so NO, BJJ is not for self defense.

that "90% of all fights go to the ground" crap is just that, crap.

Curious...why not self defense?... because I am the one who tells him that if anyone tries to harm him, he has my permission to do what is necessary to keep from being harmed and leave the grown up stuff to me. (ie. teachers, parents, lawsuits, etc...)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
because in BJJ you WANT to be on the ground, in fact, if all you know if BJJ, you are helpless untill you are on the ground

in REAL self defense the ground isnt your friend, you dont want to be there, and while you are trying for that armbar, his cousin Bubba is gonna be kicking a hole in your face.

Ugh. And the thread begins the downward spiral into hating on BJJ. So far, it's too dangerous for kids but not dangerous enough for self defense. Everybody has a friend waiting in the bushes to kick you in the head, and it's fine to not train ground fighting because no real street fight ever goes to the ground.

TKD, on the other hand, as it's taught in strip malls throughout North America is really preparing kids to realistically defend themselves. :BSmeter:

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think it is a fantastic combination for sport, fitness and self defence. What a wealth of techniques and combinations your son will have at his disposal by training in those two arts. I hope he carries on enjoying them and doing well.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score

This post sounds a little like art bashing to me. It reads no different than the posts you find on other forums disrespecting TMA's, it's just the other side of the spectrum. You can adapt the techniques in BJJ to self defence just as well as you can adapt the sporting elements of any martial art.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Learning some type of ground work is a great combonation, being able to learn anyhting can only help one understand what will work best for each person.

Latest Discussions