What arts are competitive?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not talking about competitive with each other, but rather - what are the competitive arts? Or is there a comprehensive enough list out there somewhere. Specifically I'm looking at arts that have competitive sparring or fighting (i.e. not forms) that is run by a large organization. I know most arts have sparring, but how many have competitive sparring with a unified rule set across a large number of schools?

Preferably broken down into KO/TKO/Submission vs. point-based systems.

What I know is:

KO/TKO/Submission:
Wrestling
Judo
MMA
Boxing/Kickboxing/Muay Thai

I'm sure there are many more than this, which is why I'm asking. The reason I want to know is for research purposes for a project I'm working on.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about competitive with each other, but rather - what are the competitive arts? Or is there a comprehensive enough list out there somewhere. Specifically I'm looking at arts that have competitive sparring or fighting (i.e. not forms) that is run by a large organization. I know most arts have sparring, but how many have competitive sparring with a unified rule set across a large number of schools?

What I know is:

KO/TKO/Submission:
Wrestling
Judo
MMA

I'm sure there are many more than this, which is why I'm asking. The reason I want to know is for research purposes for a project I'm working on.

To start with, through out these two lists. All of the arts you've listed have bouts that are won in all of the ways you have listed.

Maybe you can tell us something about the project?

Frankly, given the wide variety of rulesets used just within the various TKD orgs, I don't think it's going to be possible to define competitive events in the way you seem to be attempting.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can make everything to be competitive. It depends on what rule that you want to play. For example, you can have competition for whoever gets

- head lock,
- under hook,
- over hook,
- waist wrap,
- throat hold,

he wins that round and any 2 rounds out of 3 will be the winner.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dirty Dog, the project is to design a combat sport for superhumans in a sci-fi setting :p

I'm mainly looking at the widely accepted competition styles. i.e. for TKD, WTF Olympic sparring rules are primarily point-based, whereas if a KO happens, it happens (to my understanding). Whereas in the UFC, your goal is KO/TKO or tapout, but they have a point system just in case that doesn't happen. So I'm largely looking at the spirit of the sport. Is your strategy to get points and win by decision, or is it to have the ref stop the fight and immediately declare you the victor?

Kung Fu Wang, like I said - I'm more looking at something where you could train at your school to go to a national/international competition. Not just set up a game in your school to declare the winner.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you are keeping it to fighting competition rather than things like kata?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What I know is:

KO/TKO/Submission:
Wrestling
Judo
MMA

Be a big list.

Off the top of my head.

Subs tko

Jujitsu
Sumo
Sanda
Sambo
Pancrace
Tai chi
Kudo
Kyokashin
Savate

Fencing
Hema

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you are keeping it to fighting competition rather than things like kata?

Correct, only sparring/fighting.

Specifically non-weapons, also (which wasn't mentioned in my OP).

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brendon, I think I addressed that in my OP, it's not about comparing one art to another, but rather which arts have fighting competitions. i.e., which arts could you say "So-and-so is the best fighter in the country/world under this art's rules" because that art has a set of standardized national or international sparring/fighting rules and an organization at the national or international level (or that has their own sport on TV) that holds tournament/competition/etc for the sake of determining #1. In the case of Judo, TKD, and wrestling, you have the olympics. In the case of MMA and boxing, you have television. That's what I'm looking for.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Many, many have a sport aspect.

Wrestling has several sub-sets, as well, with different rules. Catch wrestling, Folk Wrestling, Freestyle, Greco-Roman, Submission Wrestling (such as ADCC) etc.

I'd also be reluctant to combine Western Boxing, Kickboxing (which has subsets) and Muay Thai. They're all very different. You can also add Sanda or San Shou.

BJJ and Sambo should be included with Judo.

Here's a pretty good list on Wikipedia: Combat sport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While it might be debatable whether there is SOME kind of competition within every martial art, it's pretty clear that there are many martial arts which do not meet the criteria of the OP: competitive sparring within a unified rule set.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I may have asked slightly the wrong question in the OP. I'm mainly trying to focus on those that are point-based. And, as I mentioned, I understand most have a point system in case there is no submission or KO in the allotted time, but I'm mostly interested in those where the point system is the primary method of winning and where the individual strategy comes into play.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you're not in too much of a rush - Google all the arts under competitions or something to that effect. And all the various organizations in each art. Send each of them a nice letter saying you want to compete - or better yet, say there's a group of you that want to compete. Ask them to put your name and address on their mailing list. In a years time you'll be able to paper your walls with tournament flyers. You might have to move. :)

Latest Discussions