Well, dang. Diabetes.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have no doubt you'll be back to training hard very soon. Type 2 diabetes is often completely reversible with treatment and weight loss. I'm wishing you well. Good luck.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
AWESOME Bill! Glad you are doing what you can to stay in it. Good luck on getting this thing under control!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just had an interesting discussion with a nutritionist. I stopped by the local Walgreens to see if they had one of those free blood pressure chairs, you know the kind. They didn't, so I was leaving, but I stopped to pick up a cold drink, a 'diet' zero calorie drink.

The lady in front of me asked if I was buying that because I was diabetic and I said yes (she must have seen me lingering over the diabetic supplies). She said I should not be having it - it was sweetened with maltodextrin. I said so what, it's zero calories, no sugar. She said maltodextrin was a sugar. I said, bummer, guess it's back to the Splenda in my coffee. She says no, you can't have that either. Maltodextrin. And she also said that any artificial sweetener than tastes sweet and not bitter is bad for diabetics. ??? I said well then what can I drink? Tea and coffee and water, no sweetener. Yeah, right I can see myself doing that for the rest of my life. She said all sweeteners except saccherin will raise my blood sugar. I said saccherin tastes like crap. Yep, she said, sucks to be you, huh?

Wow. I had no idea. I thought 'staying away from sugar' meant staying away from sucrose and glucose and fructose - not 'artificial sweeteners' that are also labeled 'diet' and 'zero calorie'.

Anybody have any info on this? I'm confused and a bit ticked off.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bill, I don't think she knows what she is talking about. That's not what the nurse practitioner I had that specialized in diabetes, she said splenda was fine for diabetics, that's not what all the diabetes educators have told me over the years. What I would suggest doing is trying splenda and test your blood sugar regularly and see it it goes up. In fact, test it after every meal to find out what does cause it to go up. Bananas make mine go way up, so I don't eat bananas anymore.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, I don't think she knows what she is talking about. That's not what the nurse practitioner I had that specialized in diabetes, she said splenda was fine for diabetics, that's not what all the diabetes educators have told me over the years. What I would suggest doing is trying splenda and test your blood sugar regularly and see it it goes up. In fact, test it after every meal to find out what does cause it to go up. Bananas make mine go way up, so I don't eat bananas anymore.

OK, here's the weird part. I asked about Splenda, she said Splenda is a fake. They talk about the wonders of sucralose, which is true, sucralose is great for diabetics, but Splenda is made with mostly dextrose, then maltodextrin, then sucralose (lowest quantity). She said it's worse for diabetics than pure table sugar. I checked the box (got one at my apartment) and she's right about what's in it. In fact, dextrose is glucose, it's just another name for it. Worst thing in the world for you and I. If you put Splenda in your coffee, you're putting nearly pure glucose in it.

Believe me, I was shocked. Now I don't know what to think.

I don't have a blood monitor yet. I was only put on medication on Monday and I don't have a follow up appointment until this coming Monday.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
... If you put Splenda in your coffee, you're putting nearly pure glucose in it.

Believe me, I was shocked. Now I don't know what to think.

I don't have a blood monitor yet. I was only put on medication on Monday and I don't have a follow up appointment until this coming Monday.[/quote]

Joab: Splenda does not make my blood sugar go up, nor any of the people I know who have type 2 diabetes. There are a lot of them, in double figures.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stevia is your friend. Thou shalt follow the glycemic index .

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Splenda does not make my blood sugar go up, nor any of the people I know who have type 2 diabetes. There are a lot of them, in double figures.

Yeah, I hear you. The Splenda box even says it is suitable for people with diabetes and is endorsed by the American Diabetes Association. Yet I look at the contents and it says: Dextrose, Maltodextrose, Sucralose. They have to list them in order of amount, so it has more dextrose in it than anything else, and dextrose is glucose, I looked it up.

So I'm still confused. Dextrose is glucose. Glucose is used to raise blood glucose when you go hypo. So...?

I guess I'll have to ask the doctor Monday. Water until then. Dang.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stevia is your friend. Thou shalt follow the glycemic index .

Cute kitty, Carol. Which reminds me of something for Mr. Mattocks...track down a copy of the "Eat Right for Your Type" book by Peter D'Adamo. It recommends foods based on your blood type; those which are beneficial for you, and those you might do well to avoid, based on the way different physiologies react to them.

I have not seen type A's or B's have all that much of a reaction to it, but blood types O get some rather remarkable effects in improving their readings and decreasing their symptoms by cutting out wheat and corn products, switching instead to spelt-, rye- and rice-based breads and carb foods.

I first heard of this in school, and thought it was absolte crap. Got out, got hitched, the (now ex) wifely unit gets some kinda jacked up CFIDS with wierd liver enzyme profiles, sugar profiles, and blood counts, but is too much a hippie to go the allopathic route. She cuts out the wheat and corn based carb sources, jumps on coleus forskoli concentrate, and her health cleared up. Damndest thing. I jumped on it. I'm type A; no change. Got my pops on it...he's type A; no change. Got my mom on it (she's type O); major improvements in her overall health, including "mysterious reversals" in her blood profiles, osteoarthritis pain, and bone density issues.

A couple dozen patients later, monitoring blood profiles, etc., and I came to my own personal conclusion that Type O profiles benefit markedly from the approach, while for the other guys, notsomuch.

Stevia is a sweetener for type O's who should stay away from other crap. It also aids one in avoiding indigestable protiens present in asundry other sweeteners, derived from plant sources. (corn fructose, acted on chemically, is a majoe player in alternative sweeteners). Carols cat reminded me of the net effect we had in reversing our old cats Type II by taking it off cat foods with grains in them, and putting it on an all meat & veggie raw food diet. Cleared up in weeks, never came back.

D.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's my understanding that some people with blood sugar issues react negatively to sweeteners that are made with "sugar alcohols" (Splenda is one of those) and some don't. Hope your doc is able to enlighten you as to what will work best for you.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you. The Splenda box even says it is suitable for people with diabetes and is endorsed by the American Diabetes Association. Yet I look at the contents and it says: Dextrose, Maltodextrose, Sucralose. They have to list them in order of amount, so it has more dextrose in it than anything else, and dextrose is glucose, I looked it up.

So I'm still confused. Dextrose is glucose. Glucose is used to raise blood glucose when you go hypo. So...?

I guess I'll have to ask the doctor Monday. Water until then. Dang.

As per typical, the phrase 'consider the dosing' applies. Splenda for the consumer is spraydried to create a volume equivalent with sugar - while weight is the applicable and important dosage. One home-use packet of Splenda contains a reported 0.5 g of carbohydrates, enough to raise blood sugar by about 10 mg/dL at the worst in an 'average' adult male - this will be lessened though, since you're not pouring it into your blood stream. One packet of sugar has eight times the carbs.

What they sell to Coke and Pepsi and the like is problably not quite the same, as an 8 oz serving of diet coke contains 0.1g carbs - using the at home packets would run about 3g carbs(And Classic has 27g!).

So, yeah, talk to the doctor. And before you panic, remember that dosage makes poisons into medicines, and medicines into poisons.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got back from my followup visit. Everything is looking pretty good so far, doctor's happy. I have a prescription for a blood glucose meter now. Before I run out and buy one, which one should I buy? Any thoughts?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from my followup visit. Everything is looking pretty good so far, doctor's happy. I have a prescription for a blood glucose meter now. Before I run out and buy one, which one should I buy? Any thoughts?

I'm not sure which one you should buy. Did the doctor tell you anything about splenda? I'm curious.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bill,
I'll be honest, that I haven't done extensive research in meters, but I have three. They are all one-touch models. I really like the one touch ultramini because it is small and easily portable. What I have done is put one at work, one in my car and one at home. That way, I don't have the excuse of not having a meter available when I really SHOULD check my sugar (feeling odd, ate something I knew I shouldn't, had an extremely heavy workout, etc.).

I like the Onetouch ultramini for a few reasons, though, which I'll share:
  1. as stated, it's small and portable
  2. It has an adaptable tip so you can test on your arm as well as fingers (that gets old after a while)
  3. supplies are easily found at most drug stores
  4. if you get your doc to write a prescription, the testing strips and lancets are free
  5. in many cases, you can get ad'l meters for free (check with drug store, and you may get mailings)
  6. it keeps a fairly good history of your last month or so of readings
downsides:
  1. it doesn't give you a 15 day average and 30 day average like the Onetouch ultra (which is the one I keep at home)
  2. you have to stick yourself
  3. you have to carry the small case with the lancets and strips (I know there is a meter that has disks with lancets built in..sounds cool, but also expensive to maintain to me)

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
btw, I was not paid for the previous post :rolleyes:

On the Splenda and other artificial sweetners...I'm not a big fan of them. Besides the fact that there are still too many unknowns on health concerns; I simply think they are overly, cloyingly sweet. Also, if you eat too much of them, they can have unfortunate side affects that will leave you rushing for a bathroom. Don't get me wrong, I will eat sugar free chocolates made with them, but I won't eat more than 2-3 at a time because of the laxative side effects.

BTW, splenda takes the sugar molecule and replaces three hyrdogen-oxygen groups with three chlorine atoms. So this cholorinated sugar molecule is not recognized by the body as a carbohydrate, and is not processed by the body. In other words, it's treated by the body as junk and passes through without full absorption....hmmmm...does this remind anyone of olestra?

I can only speak from personal experience here, so please take the following as a possibility for you, NOT as fact. Test things for yourself, as everyone's reactions can be slightly different, and yes...talk to your doctor and do the research.

Here's the thing, for me, it is all about carbs, not just sugar. Carbs turn into glucose in your system. For me, I found that eating those potato chips was more harmful to me than a little honey in my tea. I was eating WAAAAAY to many carbs and didn't know a bread or chip bag that wasn't my buddy and pal. When I cut back on empty carbs, increased my protein intake, and switched to more whole grains and vitamin dense carbs (ie fruits and veggies), I had a considerable improvement in my blood sugars. For me, it was a drop of 100 on average.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure which one you should buy. Did the doctor tell you anything about splenda? I'm curious.

Yes, the doctor told me Splenda was fine! OK, makes me feel somewhat better, anyway.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm putting this last bit as a separate post, as it may sound preachy (not my intent, but easier to skip if it's separate).

For me, I found that as I changed my diet I learned to appreciate the natural taste of real foods and use herbs to enhance flavours (who knew fresh carrots are actually sweet?!). I also found that I did better using real sweetners and natural fruit sweetners in reduced amounts, than using artificial sweetners. I use stevia, turbinado (unrefined cane sugar), applesauce, and a tiny bit of honey (this will ocassionally spike my sugar, as it's a concentrated sugar) in any cooking/baking that I do. It's helped me cut calories as well as sweetners.

So, I took this approach, which has worked well for me so far: I pick one change and work on it until it "sticks", then add a new change. This way, each diet/lifestyle change, is one I can live with, and I don't get overwhelmed. Bill, you sound like you have a lot more willpower than I did to start, so this may not be necessary for you.

Me? I started with working out 2x week and drinking water. Now, I workout 3-5 days/week and eat lots of fresh foods and fruit/vegetables. I also eat mostly whole grains, and drink mostly water. I do eat "real" sweetners, but not a lot and not often. I do drink the ocassional soda and coffee, and I am a BIG tea drinker (with a bit of honey, my weakness). I've lost 60 lbs and working on losing another 80-100. My blood sugar's gone from average of 280 to average of 140-120....so...still lots of work to do, but I'm making progress.

BTW, I was pregnant last year, and my doctors were very surprised at how healthy my pregnancy was (being diabetic and 39 years old made them a bit nervous). I had very few side affects, other than tiredness, until the last two weeks of my pregnancy. I think it was mainly due to careful eating and regular exercise. I exercised 3-4 times a week until the last month or so, and then 1-3 unti I delivered. While I did have to go on insulin during my pregnancy (pregnancy can actually increase insulin resistance), I'm working to get my blood sugars back on track and get those last stubborn pregnancy pounds off so I can stop the insulin and, eventually, reduce the amount of metformin I'm on.

As several have mentioned, the effects of type II can sometimes be reversed or at least put into remission, particularly when you start out overweight.

Okay...off my:soapbox:..sorry if this was TMI or a case of verbal :barf:

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BTW, splenda takes the sugar molecule and replaces three hyrdogen-oxygen groups with three chlorine atoms. So this cholorinated sugar molecule is not recognized by the body as a carbohydrate, and is not processed by the body. In other words, it's treated by the body as junk and passes through without full absorption....hmmmm...does this remind anyone of olestra?

Well, I agree, but here's the thing - the Splenda company shades the truth by not speaking it directly. Frankly, I am finding them to be a bit deceitful, and I can't believe people aren't calling them on it.

Splenda quotes line and verse about sucralose, which is what you just said above, and it is true - about sucralose. But SPLENDA IS NOT PURE SUCRALOSE.

Splenda says how lovely sucralose is, but if you read the package for the powdered Splenda, it is more than 1/3 dextrin, which is glucose. That's not sucralose, and it's not treated in any way - it is pure glucose. The next ingredient down is maltodextrin, and then the last 1/3 is sucralose. So a packet of Splenda is only 1/3 (at most) sucralose and the rest glucose and maltodextrin.

My doctor says it is fine. Maybe it is fine. But they're being intentionally misleading to make people think that Splenda is 100% sucralose, and it isn't. To me, somethings wrong here.

I think I'm going to stay away from it anyway. I don't like companies that lie like that.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you on the splenda and thier shades of truth. They mention that they add dextroxe and maltodextrin to the granular package for "volume". Basically, they mix sucralose with sugar so people don't get confused with having to use less for thier normal recipes (those PESKY math calulcations..gasp!)

I don't use it..for many reasons.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By the way, nobody told me about my eyes!

I noticed over the weekend that my (very poor) eyesight was changing. I could no longer focus on near objects with my bifocals - in fact, the bottom part of my bifocal lenses are better now for objects that are up to 10 feet away - that was never true before. I have to remove my glasses entirely to read close up now, just like before I ever got bifocals. Fortunately, my distance vision is still OK, so I can drive and such.

Doctor said was normal - looked it up online and confirmed. Apparently, as the glucose level changes in my body, my eye's lenses are affected, and will remain in a state of fluctuation for the next four weeks or so! This sucks, as I am an IT worker and having trouble seeing my computer screen at the moment. It was recommended for me to get a pair of cheater magnifying glasses at Walgreens, but I have severe astigmtism, they don't work for me. So...it may be an interesting four weeks of odd vision.