MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you guys do if anything for weight training? I do a Three Day split
Back/Chest
Legs
shoulders/arms

Along with running.
I lift hamburgers and cake lol.

When I'm not injured I try to cover as many areas as possible. I try to focus on the back more and on my abdomen because my hips are being pulled out of alignment and causing all sorts of issues.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back/Chest
Legs
shoulders/arms

Along with running.

Non-pandemic workout was Upper body day and Leg day alternating through the week with running and training mixed in.

Pandemic workout is trying to avoid eating too much sugar and fat on the way to the refrigerator and popping anti-cholesterol/anti-depressant pills.

I need that vaccine NOW!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been lifting for about maybe 17 years or so (15 years actually seriously) and have gone through many phases, tried many-a-things. Spent majority of years with HST (hypertrophy specific training), but done alot of extreme programs haha... ridiculous tension times, super slow, drop sets, myoreps..

Realising nowadays that I simply can't tolerate much going to failure at all, as I kept getting sick constantly, so I steer clear from going to failure, and very cautiously implement certain intensity methods.

Currently just 2-3 days a week weights, alternating push, pull and full body. Recently got back into deadlifts which I haven't been able to do for ages which is exciting. And I'm not the strongest guy, but have come a long way relatively speaking.

Also incorporate inbetween fun cycles of 'intuitive' training. I highly recommend this to experienced lifters, it's more a psychological break and a chance to really branch out and experiment with new exercises and methods you've never used before. After an intense long cycle of serious training, go for it.

Nowadays focusing more on my karate training, but also alot more on mobility and "bulletproofing" work (injuries have an amazing way of teaching you about your body, how it works, what it can tolerate and how to strengthen up and loosen up neglected areas), and a much more holistic, balanced approach to training in general :)

OP
stanly stud

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Been lifting for about maybe 17 years or so (15 years actually seriously) and have gone through many phases, tried many-a-things. Spent majority of years with HST (hypertrophy specific training), but done alot of extreme programs haha... ridiculous tension times, super slow, drop sets, myoreps..

Realising nowadays that I simply can't tolerate much going to failure at all, as I kept getting sick constantly, so I steer clear from going to failure, and very cautiously implement certain intensity methods.

Currently just 2-3 days a week weights, alternating push, pull and full body. Recently got back into deadlifts which I haven't been able to do for ages which is exciting. And I'm not the strongest guy, but have come a long way relatively speaking.

Also incorporate inbetween fun cycles of 'intuitive' training. I highly recommend this to experienced lifters, it's more a psychological break and a chance to really branch out and experiment with new exercises and methods you've never used before. After an intense long cycle of serious training, go for it.

Nowadays focusing more on my karate training, but also alot more on mobility and "bulletproofing" work (injuries have an amazing way of teaching you about your body, how it works, what it can tolerate and how to strengthen up and loosen up neglected areas), and a much more holistic, balanced approach to training in general :)
Good post..yes i train only 3 days now. I used to train an upper/lower split so training upper & lower body 2x a week, upper monday & Thursday / lower Tuesday & Friday but as i am getting older i just can´t recover like i used to so i understand your post. I used to work in a gym up untill 7 years ago. I did all the bro splits :) Doing a back & chest workout with supersets wipes me out. sometimes i will do a 4 day like this

Monday: Back/Biceps
Tuesday:Chest/triceps
OFF
Thursday:Legs
Friday:shoulders
Off
Off

OP
stanly stud

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Non-pandemic workout was Upper body day and Leg day alternating through the week with running and training mixed in.

Pandemic workout is trying to avoid eating too much sugar and fat on the way to the refrigerator and popping anti-cholesterol/anti-depressant pills.

I need that vaccine NOW!
yes Upper/lower is not bad. sometimes i would train arms with legs though. depends how quickly your arms recover as you can´t bench & row very well with fatigued arms. still i normally could do it. for arms i did not do a lot. preacher curls & supinated (underhand) grip chins work well together in a superset or as a so called Pre-exhaust. I got the idea from Bill pearl who i phoned 3 times in 2005. had 3 long conversations with him. Great old school guy. a very humble guy.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never been into weight training, instead I mostly rely on calisthenics and cardio to supplement my martial arts training.

OP
stanly stud

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Never been into weight training, instead I mostly rely on calisthenics and cardio to supplement my martial arts training.
nothing wrong with bodyweight stuff. i love parallel bar dips.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know you're a WT guy as am I.
We were taught back in the day to do as many compound exercises as possible rather than isolation type exercises.

OP
stanly stud

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know you're a WT guy as am I.
We were taught back in the day to do as many compound exercises as possible rather than isolation type exercises.
yes it´s good advice. however you can do special exercises too. in WT for example close grip bench press using a Tri bar with a parallel grip. for chain punches.
you see it on page 28. if you can translate it it´s a good book.
fdokument.com_krafttraining-fuer-kung-fu-und-karate.pdf

OP
stanly stud

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
this bar on a flat bench press. don´t think the link works but it was a simple programme for WT.
Barbell squats
Close grip flat bench press with tricep bar
Incline FULL sit ups.

The author did not believe in training biceps only triceps. so no back work either. believing big biceps hinder your chain punches. not saying this is correct but a good book.
Gewichtsstange-inSPORTline-triceps-86-cm-30mm-RB-34-ohne-Gewinde.jpg

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score

@_Simon_ - I wrote the huge reply below and then realized I was being kind of pedantic! I probably just got really long winded in trying to basically say, if you like training to failure but have been having challenges with over training you could probably get great results with it by significantly reducing your frequency and volume. Since I already wrote all of that I guess I'll post it, but everyone should feel free to skip it!
______________________________________________________________________________________
I've been consistently training to failure for ~20 years and I've been instructing people through workouts taken to failure for ~15 years of that time. I've got clients who've been working to failure every week or 2 (not counting vacations and what not) for over a decade without any issues. It's what I want for the core of my own personal strength training program and would also feel like I wasn't giving my clients optimal training if I didn't focus on helping them to achieve real, deep failure - with good form. I love the fact that I can do a really effective full body routine that's both brief and infrequent if I'm committed to HIT to failure workouts.

That being said, it is really easy to overdo it when working to failure if you've got the grit to truly achieve muscular (rather than emotional) failure. If you're trying to absolutely optimize results it requires detailed record tracking and constant analysis and adjustments to achieve something close to the ideal of sufficient recovery time and maximum volume and frequency. I've done this for myself and others in the past but I find that for most people, including myself, it's a lot more maintainable and still very effective to reduce volume and frequency to the point where there's no risk of over training - even if that means doing a very limited number of movements only once or twice a month. This seems to be especially true for martial artists and others who pursue strenuous activities outside of resistance training.

I don't know how it is in Australia, but in the US it seems that we all feel that if we're not getting the results we want it just means we're being lazy and should work harder. That might be beneficial in some instances but I find it can easily be counter productive when it comes to strength training. I've met people who were doing hours of MA training weekly, plus daily conditioning (road work, jumping rope, etc.) who still felt like they needed to do high volume HIT strength training routines to failure 2-3x/week. That might be maintainable for the genetically gifted 20 something who's a full time athlete (and probably on the juice), but it's not realistic for the vast majority of humanity. It's also missing the beauty of this kind of workout in my opinion, that being the opportunity to spend most of one's time training in the martial art or sport of one's choice and still get the full benefits of strength training with a minimal time commitment.

I apologize if I sound judgmental, that's not where I'm coming from at all! It sounds like you have experience with a lot of different methods and are very knowledgeable about what works for you. I'm a big believer in resistance training and think most every form is a big positive for people's health and functional ability. It's just been my experience that almost every time I hear someone say that they have problems with chronic illness or constant fatigue when they train to failure I find that the frequency or volume (or both ) of their workouts is way too high for their current age, stress levels, health condition or what have you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree! When I rotate the barbell like this in the gym, everybody run away from me. :D

Most of the "muscle group isolation" training just don't enhance the core function.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back/Chest
Legs
shoulders/arms

Along with running.
im keen on time efficiency, so i do one exercise( five times) a day where i try and lift a building, on the next day i try and pull it up the road, it works very well for stengh and muscle tone, but i havent moved it very far yet

OP
stanly stud

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im keen on time efficiency, so i do one exercise a day where i try and lift a building, on the bext day i try and pull it up the road, it works very well for stengh and muscle tone, but i havent moved it very far yet
ah..but mate you are not an Egyptian.

Latest Discussions