Wearable Technology Scientists Discover How to Turn Ordinary T-Shirts Into Body Armor

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got that. I was making a joke on his misspelling of the word to Replant.
I knew you'd caught that... But it seemed the humor had escaped him. :D

As to bullet proof t-shirts... Neat idea, once again, but as Archangel said, not much good to have no holes, but significant internal bleeding and bruising...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I knew you'd caught that... But it seemed the humor had escaped him. :D

As to bullet proof t-shirts... Neat idea, once again, but as Archangel said, not much good to have no holes, but significant internal bleeding and bruising...

I was visualizing a person wearing one of these with an entry wound, and the shirt pulled clear through the hole and out the back. Part of the reason a Kevlar vest works is not that it is impenetrable, but also that it spreads the impact over area (the t-shirt does this too) and time (Kevlar is relatively thick and absorbs the impact over time). The t-shirt does not do that last bit, unless I'm missing something.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was visualizing a person wearing one of these with an entry wound, and the shirt pulled clear through the hole and out the back. Part of the reason a Kevlar vest works is not that it is impenetrable, but also that it spreads the impact over area (the t-shirt does this too) and time (Kevlar is relatively thick and absorbs the impact over time). The t-shirt does not do that last bit, unless I'm missing something.
The bulletproof t shirt's not really the point though. That'd be impractical, but a denser weave and some reinforcement etc would still mean lighter body armor.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The bulletproof t shirt's not really the point though. That'd be impractical, but a denser weave and some reinforcement etc would still mean lighter body armor.

That makes sense. What would be even cooler would be cloth that predicted or reacted to impact by becoming stiffer.

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/invention/2007/06/liquid-body-armour.html

Not sure if anything ever came of this though.

Anyway, I'm for anything that increases protection and decreases weight, heat, and cost for the user.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if anything has come of it, but, Dale Brown put that technique into use in his book The Tin Man. Which, is what this discussion popped into my mind.
I've seen variants in a few books.

Including using a fabric that stiffened to deflect kinetic energy to trap someone by causing it stiffen, and not letting it relax...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sheesh, tough crowd here. Yeah, the blunt force of the shot will still do damage, but c'mon.....IT'S A BULLETPROOF T-SHIRT! How cool is that?

Very cool. Wish I could have some.

Call me a prude, but I prefer blunt trauma over penetration.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was visualizing a person wearing one of these with an entry wound, and the shirt pulled clear through the hole and out the back...

I had exactly the same mental picture! It kind or reminded me of that battle scene in the mines of Moria in The Lord of the Rings movie where Frodo takes a full-on chest shot with a huge spear thrown by a giant cave troll only to be saved by his silky-soft mithril mail shirt. Even if there was something that strong, it wouldn't work if it was silky-soft. The spear would just drive the impenetrable fabric through you. Yeah I know, I should be willing to suspend my logical faculties and just watch the movie, right? Then again, what about internal consistency.Tolkien was very good at that. Hollywood--a bit less so...but I digress.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This sounds to me to be good secondary protection. If it feels and acts like a normal T-Shirt, wear it under your normal protection.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen variants in a few books.

Including using a fabric that stiffened to deflect kinetic energy to trap someone by causing it stiffen, and not letting it relax...

Larry Niven I believe?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't tell you all how amused I am that this discussion devolved to science fiction books. Anyone read Catherine Asaro's Skolian novels?

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This just makes me wonder how long it will be before ultracapacitors make hypervelocity weapons trivial, and make all our current armor moot.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't tell you all how amused I am that this discussion devolved to science fiction books. Anyone read Catherine Asaro's Skolian novels?

I've read a few and enjoyed the first couple that had Sauscony and Kelric as the protagonists. The others seemed to drag. They're too formulaic for me ultimately.

If you like fantasy, Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven is about to be published in May. He's probably somewhere in my top five authors for speculative fiction.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like David Drake's "Commander Leary" series. And "Enders Game".

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you like fantasy, Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven is about to be published in May. He's probably somewhere in my top five authors for speculative fiction.

I think its out already, i seen it at the book store last week!!
Great author. Though I have to rank Charles DeLint right up there too!

Latest Discussions