Wearable Technology Scientists Discover How to Turn Ordinary T-Shirts Into Body Armor

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.ecouterre.com/15824/scientists-discover-how-to-turn-ordinary-t-shirts-into-body-armor/
A Hanes Beefy that can deflect bullets may sound like the stuff of comic books, but scientists have developed a way of bulking up an ordinary T-shirt to create wearable armor. By splicing the carbon in the cotton with boron, the third hardest material on the planet, researchers at the University of South Carolina markedly increased the fabric’s toughness. The result is a lightweight shirt reinforced with boron carbide—the same material used to shield military tanks.

I want a Super Suit. :)

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
With no padding, the bullet may not make it through, but I bet it stings a bit. :ultracool

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bet it knocks you on your ***, but that's preferable I think to having a big hole punched in you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bet it knocks you on your ***, but that's preferable I think to having a big hole punched in you.

Not really. The laws of physics make it mandatory that impact down range is less than recoil.

I once met a man who sold "Second Chance" vests. Part of his demo was to shoot himself in the chest with a 44 mag. He got bruises, but nothing worse.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really. The laws of physics make it mandatory that impact down range is less than recoil.

I once met a man who sold "Second Chance" vests. Part of his demo was to shoot himself in the chest with a 44 mag. He got bruises, but nothing worse.

While that could be true for a vest that spreads the impact, if the t-shirt has enough give, the bullet will still do enough damage to matter.

To illustrate what I mean, put your thumb on your t-shirt, between 2 lower ribs. Start pushing. This will be uncomfortable but keep an eye on your t-shirt. It is not penetrated, but your thumb is going to be deep between your ribs before it starts exerting force to push back your thumb.

Replace your thumb with a 44 mag bullet and replace your t-shirt with a bullet proof one. The same principle applies. The bullet will not penetrate the shirt, but it will hit you hard and deep, and break some stuff before being stopped.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, folks, it's clear that even if the fabric is truly bulletproof, you still don't want to get shot. It's like getting punched -- at several hundred (or close to 2000!) fps. It'll leave a mark, even if it doesn't make a hole.`

It's still an interesting development. Among other things, it might produce much more comfortable, much more concealable body armor. But I'm still curious about how flexible it really is...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's not bulletproofing... That just means that they're so dirty & gross that not even the bullet wants to get close!

A perfect example of a distinction without a difference. End result, nothing comes near me. Self-defense achieved. Pre-emptive, passive, and free. No training required.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A perfect example of a distinction without a difference. End result, nothing comes near me. Self-defense achieved. Pre-emptive, passive, and free. No training required.
Sure, no training required. Just a very strong stomach... and extreme disinterest in human company!

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Chuck Norris once spit on my shirt. Hurt like a SOB, but I can now withstand anything up to a small tactical nuke.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very cool. I just had to share this with my friends from the design field. Maybe they have already heard of it as those designers know about most 'stuff'.

j

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also have a tiger replant key chain, have not had a tiger incident yet.

If no tigers have come near you, how do you know your key chain can replant them? And why would you dig them up in the first place?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If no tigers have come near you, how do you know your key chain can replant them? And why would you dig them up in the first place?

thats_the_joke.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do believe the word being sought is "repellent" not "replant"...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blunt force trauma and internal injuries can kill you just as dead.

Latest Discussions