We must protect ourselves from the voter fraud problem we do not have!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's get some fact-checking going on this.

From what little I can find online, the man bragged on Facebook that he had in fact voted multiple times for Barack Obama, and has since removed the post. Others have stated they have been in communication with the FBI over the claims that the FBI is investigating.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...285252-24eb-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_story.html

Virginia voter fraud case expands to focus on GOP firm
The investigation into the arrest of a man on charges of dumping voter registration forms last month in Harrisonburg, Va., has widened, with state officials probing whether a company tied to top Republican leaders had engaged in voter registration fraud in the key battleground state, according to two persons close to the case.

Note that voter photo ID laws would not have stopped this either. And the woman arrested in Nevada a couple days ago for voting twice is apparently a registered Republican. But again, she was caught, and without the use of voter photo ID.

Still not seeing a case for photo ID.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I am seeing from these post is allegations of wrongdoing from both sides. From the conservatives there are instances of idividual wrongdoing, effecting registrations and voting for a limited amout of people. If true these things should be investigated and proper punushments doled out. For the progressive complaints there are republican policticians activily participating in voter suppression and admitting it to the general public. They are trying to institutionalize the voter suppression. The results? Well in just one state PA, it is estimated that it could effect up 700,00 voters. Given all the "democrats cheat" posts I am seeing, on the outside from all the states, maybe 50 votes are effected and NOT from instilutionized efforts. It is pretty assinine to compare 700,000 voters being effected in one state by claiming that a few democrats are playing dirty too. Yes, arrest and preosecute those democrats doing dirty, but don't pretend it even equates to the concerted effort by many republicans to disenfranchise at least 100's of thousands.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I am seeing from these post is allegations of wrongdoing from both sides. From the conservatives there are instances of idividual wrongdoing, effecting registrations and voting for a limited amout of people. If true these things should be investigated and proper punushments doled out. For the progressive complaints there are republican policticians activily participating in voter suppression and admitting it to the general public. They are trying to institutionalize the voter suppression. The results? Well in just one state PA, it is estimated that it could effect up 700,00 voters. Given all the "democrats cheat" posts I am seeing, on the outside from all the states, maybe 50 votes are effected and NOT from instilutionized efforts. It is pretty assinine to compare 700,000 voters being effected in one state by claiming that a few democrats are playing dirty too. Yes, arrest and preosecute those democrats doing dirty, but don't pretend it even equates to the concerted effort by many republicans to disenfranchise at least 100's of thousands.

To be clear, the estimate is, I believe, for all states implementing voter photo ID, not just one:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...-would-exclude-up-to-700000-young-minorities/

However, yes, it's true. The GOP is spearheading an intensive effort to keep a certain segment of society from voting, and it's not to protect the integrity of the voting system as they claimed. That stated purpose is laughable, and everyone knows it except one guy.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
However, yes, it's true. The GOP is spearheading an intensive effort to keep a certain segment of society from voting, and it's not to protect the integrity of the voting system as they claimed. That stated purpose is laughable, and everyone knows it except one guy.

...and those pretending not to know it.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is pretty assinine to compare 700,000 voters being effected in one state by claiming that a few democrats are playing dirty too.

Or, in plainer English "Well My side is barley doing it compared to their side, so stop talking about my side doing it."

Or in even Plainer English: "But your honor, I only murdered ONE person, Gary Ridgeway murdered 90, you shouldn't even be paying attention to me."

Lets call it like it is kids: BOTH SIDES ARE GUILTY. One or 90, wrong is wrong.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or, in plainer English "Well My side is barley doing it compared to their side, so stop talking about my side doing it."

Or in even Plainer English: "But your honor, I only murdered ONE person, Gary Ridgeway murdered 90, you shouldn't even be paying attention to me."

Lets call it like it is kids: BOTH SIDES ARE GUILTY. One or 90, wrong is wrong.

Notice in previous post I have said that ANYONE guilty of voter fraud should be prosecuted, up to and including politicians. You are right though, it is wrong no matter who is doing it. My problem is some people trying to make it seem okay for Republicans to supress the vote of hundreds of thousands of people, using the excuse that a few Democrats are doing it too. Truth is that Republicans are making a concerted effort over many states to keep voter turn out low, which historically would give the advantage to Republicans. There is no concerted effort by Democrats to suppress or defraud. To excuse the massive suppression effort by Republicans because there have been a few Democratic morons is idiotic.

Now, because of Republican election officials blatantly trying to game the system, any close result in which Romney wins will be challenged, casting doubt upon our entire system. So even if thier canidate wins, there will be doubt if he really did win.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the fraud may be starting early as well as the intimidation...

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/11/are-the-democrats-trying-to-steal-pennsylvania.php

Are the Democrats Trying to Steal Pennsylvania? [Updated]

It is being reported that Democratic Party operatives are evicting court-appointed Republican poll watchers from polling places in Philadelphia. Specifically, this reportedly has happened in Ward 32, Div 13; Ward 43, Div 14; Ward 56, Div 1; Ward 56, Div 22; Ward 32, Div 28; Ward 32, Div 28; Ward 12, Div 17; Ward 39, Div 1; Ward 24, Div 9; Ward 18, Div 25; Ward 43, Div 14; Ward 29, Div 18; Ward 65, Div 19; Ward 20, Div 1; and Ward 6, Div 11. The idea is to kick out the Republicans, then stuff the box with ballots marked for Obama. This is how some of these precincts have achieved 99 to 100% turnout in past elections.
The story is, as they say, developing…

UPDATE: The New Black Panthers are out, too, “guarding” the same voting location where they were criminally prosecuted for voter intimidation in 2008.

The moral is that Republicans don’t just have to win elections, they have to win by an amount that exceeds the margin of fraud.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...on-Judge-Wears-Obama-Hat-in-Obama-s-Home-Ward

This photo was taken by a voter this morning on Election Day, in President Obama's home ward, Ward 4 Precinct 37 at 1212 S. Plymouth Court in Chicago. The image shows an election judge wearing an Obama hat while passing out ballots to voters inside the poling place.

Ward

Obama-Hat-in-Home-Wardjpg.jpg

Only in Chicago, in Obama's home ward would be electioneering. Or is it? Something tells me this is just the beginning of many more stories to come throughout the day.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/06/Obama-supporter-punches-voter-in-face

[h=2]REPORT: A woman in a Detroit polling location was aggressively campaigning for Obama. A female voter in line objected. The Obama supporter punched the woman in the face.[/h] Police came to arrest her and she smacked the cop.
Developing...
Yes, I still support voter i.d. for voting...the other guys cheat more...

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I still support voter i.d. for voting...the other guys cheat more...

Terrible reason.

But quite frankly, polling place by polling place intimidation is going to be quite a bit less effective than laws which affect everyone in a given state across the board.

Both sides are trying to win by whatever means necessary, including denying others the right to vote whenever possible if they think they'll vote against their party.

It basically points the way to the exit for a representative republic such as ours. Voting becomes a mockery, and darkness descends on our nation.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill the ad in your last post shows a hotty wearing a T-shirt that says I pooped today....somehow it was fitting.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea how to respond to that statement.

Sorry buddy my humor doesn't translate well to the written word. I meant I am just tired of the political talk. Be glad when this election is over with. You really did have an ad like that though. Bizarre shirt.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ohio Secretary of State, Jon Husted (Republican), now has functionally unfettered read-write access to the voting tabulation systems and their records in at least 39 Ohio counties. The Green Party has already sued, the hearing was scheduled for 9 AM, but I haven't heard any results yet.

That is troubling given his previous actions. Isn't having work done on voting machines without state approval tantamount to tampering with voting machines?

On a seperate note, it looks like the glitch in the voting maching mentioned earlier by Bill C is an equal oppurtunity pain;
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/watch-glitch-voting-machine-pennsylvania-171806481--election.html

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't say I'm thrilled with the voter ID law. I do not have a photo ID that reflects my physical address. My driver's license, registration and such reflect a mailing address. Because, I like my privacy and all that. This is perfectly legal in the state of NH. I did have to prove residency to get my DL, but it is absolutely permissible in the state to have a different mailing address on your license.

So, I go to vote, and I show my DL, and a printout of my electric bill that shows where I receive service. Guy didn't like that to much, and asked me to register under the address that is on my license (election day registration is legal here).

I'm pretty sure registering under an address other than where you physically live is a felony, or something, so I refused. The guy didn't like that either, so I ended up pulling out my iPad, mapping the address which resolved to a local strip mall, and showing the guy that the address on my license really was -- as I had been telling him -- not my residence, but mailing address at commercial location that offers mailbox services.

I ended up signing an affidavit....exactly what I did in 2008 when I arrived with a Mass. driver's license and my tenancy-at-will agreement that a paragraph in MS Word.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is troubling given his previous actions. Isn't having work done on voting machines without state approval tantamount to tampering with voting machines?

On a seperate note, it looks like the glitch in the voting maching mentioned earlier by Bill C is an equal oppurtunity pain;
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/watch-glitch-voting-machine-pennsylvania-171806481--election.html

It's not the voting machines directly, but the back end. He has read-write access to the tables where the sums of the votes are collected, however, encryption may provide a small barrier to access. He also has read-write access to the files that are assembled from those tables, and those files are both unencrypted and plain text. It is a lot of trust to place in him and his operative team. Judge Frost (A Bush The Younger appointee) has denied Fitrakis an injunction, claiming he hasn't proven that this access could be abused.

Locally, a judge has had to issue an injunction against third parties asking for photo IDs outside the polls in the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Homestead. Homestead is one of the few places in the area that is more than 50% black, and it has a reputation as being desperately poor. The Republican party is challenging absentee votes from the local hospital.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would he need write access? This is starting to smell pretty bad.

The system is kludged together without proper standardization. Therefore, there must be a point in the tabulation process where everything gets put into a common format - and for some reason, the common format they chose was an unsecured plain-text document(Comma separated variable).

Latest Discussions