We are surviving Ike!!

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To all: Our internet is back, our power/water is on, and reg cable is back but no digital/dvr/movies yet. But 1.5 million still no power in the 4th largest city in the US. However, thanks to the martial arts, classmates, fellow teachers, and judges from all over have been calling to lend support,a kind word, etc. I would like to thank all of my fellow martial artists for your prayers,well wishes, etc. Houston still has 1.5 mm without power, and most of Galveston is wiped out!! It was pretty scary that Friday to Saturday, then getting hit again by rain from a cool front Sunday morning. Weather now is unseasonably cool but as always feds and state did not have their act together but local authorities were great.

Will keep apprised. To all, wish this on nobody!!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you're all right. Please keep us up to date for the goings-on in your area, eh?

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad things are alright again down there. We only caught some of the rain and wind up in Dallas , but nothing serious here. Spring storm season was worse TBH.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you and the city is doing good, keep us advised on everything.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Up in central New York we had 50+ mph winds from Ike's blown out remnants that still toppled big trees and knocked out power to thousands. I can only imagine what you Texans had to contend with. Good fortune to you all.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great to hear you are all right and have power. I hope most are in your good shape very soon.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm glad you are alright. My sister and her girlfriend escaped from near Beaumont and made the trek up to Michigan to visit family until some order and power is restored. She showed me this website last night, which I think is pretty slick, especially if Entergy is your electric company.

http://entergy-texas.com/outages/tx.aspx

My sister has been in contact with people that stayed in the area. Fortunately, and unlike Hurricane Rita a couple years ago, this hurricane didn't drop any trees on her house.

OP
N

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Grydth, thanks...I am from Dallas originally but spent 10 years away from Texas, including 7 years in Astoria, Queens, and training/working in Manhattan. Right now 33% of homes now have power, the rest anywhere from 1 day to two weeks. An irony: a good friend of mine in Pittsburgh lost power from the remnants and now they have to wait a few days as most electric workers from there are now down here!! FEMA and the state keep arguing while the local officials including the Mayor and County officials run the show! Galveston may be partially uninhabitable for years!! I was just there with the wife the week before the storm, and we went to Kemah boardwalk in League City and it is now virtually destroyed. The county judge of Galveston is trying to get the State attorney general to give some ruling on what rights the county has to expel remaining survivors until everything is restored. We Texans like to face adversity, even when it is stupid.

Thank you for all of the wishes. Sure makes us realize we are all in this together, and Mother Nature has a better sidekick than all of us...LOL!!!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
damn, I grew up in Galveston. That's a real shame. hang in there and keep us posted. Good to get some news from the inside.

Peace,
Erik

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good to hear that your power is back. Hope everyone else's is back on soon!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing my company is doing to help out is an organization-wide kick-a-thon. We're raising funds as fast as possible to get generators, food, clothing, and housing back to our students in the damaged areas.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing my company is doing to help out is an organization-wide kick-a-thon. We're raising funds as fast as possible to get generators, food, clothing, and housing back to our students in the damaged areas.

That's awesome !! More companies need to do that !!!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Found these AWESOME photos of Ike and the aftermath... They tell the story I think.

Attachments

• $01.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 100
  • $10.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 103
  • $09.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 98
  • $08.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 94
  • $07.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 99
  • $06.jpg
    $06.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 99
  • $05.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 99
  • $04.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 97
  • $03.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 96
  • $02.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 92

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
More photos...

Attachments

• $20.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 108
  • $19.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 115
  • $18.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 108
  • $17.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 107
  • $16.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 109
  • $15.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 105
  • $14.jpg
    $14.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 112
  • $13.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 108
  • $12.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 102
  • $11.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 109

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for sharing those disturbing images. It hadn't really hit home for me yet.
I didn't find the images as disturbing but amazing actually. What was incredible were the shots of one home still standing while all the others around were flattened.

OP
N

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bluekey, my wife and I had just gone to Kemah the week before and one of my masters and some classmates were down in Galveston by the San Luis hotel. You would not even recognize it!! I have lived in Dallas, where I am from, New York City, Hong Kong, London, Austin, etc. and I have never been really scared until Friday to Saturday. The winds in Richmond/Sugarland, 65 miles from the coast and a Houston suburb southwest, got hit with 75-80 mph winds, rain, and carnage. They are estimating may be first of next month before all power restored. People here were pissed by the lack of cooperation between FEMA and the state, so our good mayor and county judge took over. With a potential financial collapse of the economic system, I do not know how the govt will cover the expenses!!

I am so grateful for my long practice of martial arts, as it keeps me centered during this time. Mother Nature, the best female martial artist ever!!!

Latest Discussions