Watch big dept. stores if you take your computer in...

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just bought a laptop from the evil best buy (just wanted one for overseas business and I took advantage of the "black friday" deals, so keep the jerk-off techie-elitist responses to yourself please, or I'll send the jocks over to break up the world of warcraft party ;) ).

Anyway, I go to pick it up. The guy brings out the computer. I look at it, and I exclaim, "cool... I didn't know my computer has an alien on it!" The guy just looks at me like I'm insane. Then he is like "We have to put in your fingerprint."
I say, "Really....this is pretty sweet, dude, but are you sure this is mine." I am thinking, I don't remember mine having that security feature, or an alien on it.

The dude looks at the computer, then looks back at me, and does this a few times. Then he sort of looks at me in horror and slowly walks away with the computer. When he comes back with my laptop, he says, "Sorry...that wasn't yours. That was someone elses $3,000 gaming computer..." Mine was about 1200 retail (a lot less on black friday though). I laughed and jokingly said, "Well, screw this piece of crap then, can't you go find me something else that I can sneak out of here with?"

Anyway, the moral is that the dude was about to let me walk out with the latest and greatest Alienware, which is a gaming computer that starts at about 2800 and works its way up. They don't even sell those at best buy, so some dumbass had to have brought it to the 'geek squad' to get it worked on. Had I have known what the hell the computer was that he had, and had I have been a bit more dishonest, I could have not said anything and walked out with someone elses 3,000 dollar computer, with the security settings set to my specifications. And who's ever it belonged to would be SOL.

Could you imagine? The moral here is: if you buy a $3,000 plus computer, take to a reputable person to have it worked on. The "geek squad" has it's place to do warranty work and to cure simple problems for housewives and the uninitiated, but they aren't for handling more expensive pieces.

I am glad I didn't screw someone and walk out with that thing on accident.

But really, what if I had? What would anyone have been able to do about it?

It gets you thinking...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Geek Squad should be demoted.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would think that users who have Alienware laptops would do their own working on them. Those people are usually the "powerusers" who are really INTO computering.

Yes, Geek Squad costs too much money, and are lame! The company that I work for is going to give them a run for the money, too! We beat them, BAD, on the price point, and our techs are truly elite!

Congratulations on getting the good price at Best Buy, Cruentus. But, it has been said on this board before, and I will say it again now -- the real techs do not work for BestBuy. They go on to bigger and better things! There is no room for advancement within a company such as Best Buy!

We are going to cut into BestBuys market SO BAD here locally! We are gonna put a hurt on! Hahahahaha!!!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tiger Direct. Fry's. Pricewatch. And so on. Cheaper, and they won't pretend that you'll get service like a service station when you'll really get service like the cow gets from the bull.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would think that users who have Alienware laptops would do their own working on them. Those people are usually the "powerusers" who are really INTO computering.

Oh, I know. That's what I would have thought too.

BUT, although I live out in the boonies, the area below me with all the stores is a very ritzie area. It woudn't be unheard of to have some rich dildo to buy a 3G Alienware for his overprivlidged kid without having a clue as to how to use it. Given that the machine was at best buy, that is what I am guessing happened.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just commented on this in another thread. Keep in mind that the "Geek Squad" and other big box "IT" drones are barely a step up from the pimply-faced 16 year old at the register. Any technical question beyond "What's this gonna cost me?" is beyond them.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well kudos to you for being honest anyway.
I'd seriously thought about it then probably would've taken it for a day then brought it back directly to the manager and told him what happened.
Imagine the reaction on several fronts; the store manager realizing what a colossal mistake their employee made (can you say... fired?), and the customer returning for their computer only to find out that it was given to someone else by mistake? Whoo.
Now granted it wouldn't been nice to get someone fired but considering that they could've given someone else YOUR computer by making the same simple mistake... hrmmm.

I'd thawt about taking my ailing computer over to Best Buy/Geek Squad but read the stuff here on MT and realized that I'd be screwing myself... haven't I done that enough already? So managed to get a pro to take care of it and now... heh all is well.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Even the "geek squad" has to start soemwhere right ?
Most of the geeks that i get in my store ( and the numbers are small since all the geeks shop on the net and service themselves... ;) ) don't do the "stupid" talk.
The one's that do try get a nice talk but if they slip up they're toast.... :D

Got one in store last week.
This guy was bragging about how good norton was as an anti-virus product and that it was just stupid that we couldn't sell him that.
After i showed him these screenshots:

( caps with Dutch language but you get the point ;) )

he was gone in less then a minute... :D

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even the "geek squad" has to start soemwhere right ?

I will say that the "Geek Squad" has their place. I don't shop often, but when I do at Best Buy I've always been happy to have them help me if I am buying something at Best Buy, or need some general questions answered.

So, I am definatily not dogging them. For what they are getting paid to do (and as I understand it they don't make a whole assload of money more then the rest of the BB staff, keep in mind) they do a good job. They are great for answering questions and installing things for the NOVICE person who wouldn't know how to install their own anti-spyware for example (and there are a lot of people out there like that). But the thing is, they have their place; and that place probably isn't working on a 3,000 dollar alienware.

I am really dogging on the moron who bought such a pricey computer that definatily is not for 'beginners' into Best Buy of all places to get work done. Basically, I see this sort of thing all the time. People just don't value certain services, and IT is one of them. So they take it to the geek squad kid who would be lucky to be out of his teens and making over $10 an hour, and expect him to perform a miracle on their computer. And usually, they have the nerve to be really pissy and rude to them too (I see it literally every time I am in the store) because by-golly, they aren't getting what they want done with their 3,000 dollar machine when they aren't willing to pay for the service.

Well, anyway, done with my rant. Just don't be "that guy." If you make a substancial INVESTMENT in your computer (like 3G's) then at least take the time to learn how to use it, or take it to a real expert to get it serviced. Don't take it to some kid at Best Buy for half the price and expect to get anything useful out of it.

You get what you pay for! ;)

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
hey, dude,,,
i disagree with you...it depends on which geek you take it to. obviously this wasn't a team member of a geek squad....you were most likely talking to a sales person. anyone knows that a true geek would never get any kind of computer mixed up...and our local geek squads are college grads and do a hell of a lot more than fix pc's for housewifes...most of the ones i know do a lot of work for NASA over at JPL and there is not only $3,000.00 computers in the buildings there, but billion dollar ones as well...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and our local geek squads are college grads and do a hell of a lot more than fix pc's for housewifes...most of the ones i know do a lot of work for NASA over at JPL and there is not only $3,000.00 computers in the buildings there, but billion dollar ones as well...
I find it hard to believe that someone working at NASA is moonlighting at Best Buy... :idunno:
Oh, and would you mind using proper punctuation in your posts......using nothing but....ellipses makes them painful.....to read.

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
i didn't say they were moonlighting at best buy...how did you come up with that one....if my posts are hard to read...then don't read them....

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hey, dude,,,
i disagree with you...it depends on which geek you take it to. obviously this wasn't a team member of a geek squad....you were most likely talking to a sales person. anyone knows that a true geek would never get any kind of computer mixed up...and our local geek squads are college grads and do a hell of a lot more than fix pc's for housewifes...most of the ones i know do a lot of work for NASA over at JPL and there is not only $3,000.00 computers in the buildings there, but billion dollar ones as well...

I realize it depends on which "Geek" you talk too, because different people will have different qualifications.

But the fact is, to be a member of the "geek squad," you start between 10-11 bucks an hour. I have heard that there are people with CCNA certs who are "Super Agents" who do networking with larger companies (although I have serious doubts that anyone is working with NASA other then through a college internship). BUT THAT IS NOT WHO YOU ARE GETTING WHEN YOU STOP BY THE STORE. Your getting 10-dollar-per-hour guy. You should have NO reasonable expectation that at that pay rate, your going to get an expert who is knowledgeable enough to work on your system if it is complex. And when you drop your 3 thousand dollar computer off at the store, that is who you get to work on your crap, not the "Super Agent" with proper IT certifications. If you bring your Alienware to the store like that, you are an idiot.

It is also unfounded to say that someone from the "real" geek squad couldn't make a mistake and give out a wrong computer. BB is a huge department store, and there in lies the problem. Simply printing out the wrong work order could lead to such a mistake in ANY large dept. store, and this has nothing to do with IT qualifications.

So say what you want. I still maintain that the Geek squad has there place, but Buyer Beware; unless you know the 'geek,' you'll be getting what you pay for...

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
thats ok, you are entiltled to your opinion just as i am to mine..i guess you have never heard of Cal Tech, its a part of JPL and NASA where the real geek squad works....and as being unfounded to say someone from the geek squad would'd give out the wrong computer, you bet they wouldn't, because they would know what is was by looking at it no matter what the work order showed. With all the computer stores available there is no valid reason to ever purchase a computer from Best Buy in the first place....maintain that

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
thats ok, you are entiltled to your opinion just as i am to mine..i guess you have never heard of Cal Tech, its a part of JPL and NASA where the real geek squad works....and as being unfounded to say someone from the geek squad would'd give out the wrong computer, you bet they wouldn't, because they would know what is was by looking at it no matter what the work order showed. With all the computer stores available there is no valid reason to ever purchase a computer from Best Buy in the first place....maintain that

Cal Tech.. right... a university. Like I said:

although I have serious doubts that anyone is working with NASA other then through a college internship

Plus, Bill Gates himself could look at a work order and think that I am the person on the order; it has nothing to do with product knowledge or technological abilities.

And further, you buy from Best buy because of their prices. That doesn't mean you take your 3,000 dollar computer that you didn't purchase there to be worked on (unless you know and trust the person working on it).

But here is the real question: Why are you so verbally combative over this thread? I really have to wonder if you would display the same attitude if I was in front of your face vs. over the net...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I do believe the confusion here is over the term "geek squad", which was being used, initially, in the context of the highly publicized "Geek Squad" that currently operates out of Best Buy. While other organizations might use, or be referred to, by that term, the group at Best Buy is the one that most people generally think of - the one being discussed in this thread, Geek Squad goes Kaboom! - the perspective expressed in the article the thread refers to is that held by many people who have knowledge of how Best Buy operates this program. If the Best Buy Geek Squad is not the one you're referring to - as seems to be the case, given your references to NASA and Cal Tech, you might consider differentiating between the two groups when discussing them; remember, even moreso on a bulletin board than in live conversation, people know only what you say, not what you mean.

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
it dosen't surprise me that you wonder about anything and why would i not want to say the same anywhere........

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
you are correct, i didn't realize he didn't understand, and thats ok too, he is still entitled to his opinion just as i am.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[playnice]Carol Kaur[/playnice]

Latest Discussions