How close to your computer?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was sitting here working some kicking drills and remembred a drill I had done before that needs a seperate partner to call out what to do and you react. Being alone in my apartment, I don't have a partner, so I thought of the ideaof setting up something on my computer. That led me to think of the idea of different computer-based training tools, but those would require that you be close enough to your computer while training to see or hear what's going on. I use a laptop so that's not too much a problem but I'm wondering how many people do their training near their computer?

Also I've talked to many people who like to jot down notes after class or keep running logs or journals of training. I was wondering if any PC based or online based tools existed to support that?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My computer is in too small of a space to practice much. I know that some schools provide training vid's for their students (from some people I've talked to), but I don't know any web addresses. I like to write anything new I learn in a journal, so I can practice on my own.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have my hubby as a partner. But if I had to use my computer? Like tkdgirl said, the room my computer is in is too small for anything (just a small room connected to the living room with a bookself, filing cabenit, and the computer in it ... very small). But we have a great sound system on it, or I could make voice commands on the computer and burn them to CD if need be.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've written some software ( or had a working prototype ) that contained all of our school notes and would show either pictures or video clips, depending on how we wanted to go with it. It was pushed to the side with school and everything, but it's still a project I revisit from time to time.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thing about being by your computer for those types of drills though would be being able to randomize it. Never the same thing twice.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing about being by your computer for those types of drills though would be being able to randomize it. Never the same thing twice.

That was part of the motivation. I used to do a drill with my kids where the driller would just stand in a fighting stance and the partner would call out a random attack that the driller would throw. The goal was that since you didn't know what attack would be called, you couldn't cheat your stance to prepare for the attack. The idea was to be able to strike fast with any attack without telegraphing it with your foot positioning. This requires you have the unknown or random variable of what the ext attack will be.

I've also done some footowrk drills based on someone calling out random movements that you have to react to...same principle. Since you don't know the next direction to be called, you have to move in a way that brings you into a good balanced nuetral position.

This is where I figured having a computer program or even simple script to randomize and somehow comminicate drill patterns would be useful

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been trying to get to this idea I had,
Make a sound file with the name of a tech, saying move, pause, strike, pause. Do that for all my tech and upload them to my mp3 player, then hit randomize!