Wakizashi for home defense?

meta_aesthete

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm totally ignorant about swords. I'll put that right up. And so maybe that's why I'm even asking this question. But I'm over my fear of looking silly, so here goes.

But I was thinking about options for break-in defense in my apartment in Boston. Boston (and Mass. as a whole) has very rigid gun control laws. And using a gun in an apartment building could have lots of really bad consequences.

So what about training with a good wakizashi? I mean, it'd primarily be a hobby/something to do for kicks, but it seems like an ideal weapon for cramped hallways. And I suppose in a legal/reasonable force aspect, if an intruder got close enough to you that you could take him out with a short sword, it's a more plausible self-defense case than blowing him away with a 12-gauge from across the room. If he never gets that close, takes my TV and leaves, then I'm fine with that.

Anyway, it's a casual idea at this point, but I figured I'd run it by you folks.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
For home defense, I would still recommend a gun. I would rather shoot them once and get it over with then stab them miltiple times with a blade. Think of the blood and messiness of a sword (not that shooting is much better).
Find out all of the legalities to you owning a gun and do it correctly.

AoG

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm totally ignorant about swords. I'll put that right up. And so maybe that's why I'm even asking this question. But I'm over my fear of looking silly, so here goes.

But I was thinking about options for break-in defense in my apartment in Boston. Boston (and Mass. as a whole) has very rigid gun control laws. And using a gun in an apartment building could have lots of really bad consequences.

So what about training with a good wakizashi? I mean, it'd primarily be a hobby/something to do for kicks, but it seems like an ideal weapon for cramped hallways. And I suppose in a legal/reasonable force aspect, if an intruder got close enough to you that you could take him out with a short sword, it's a more plausible self-defense case than blowing him away with a 12-gauge from across the room. If he never gets that close, takes my TV and leaves, then I'm fine with that.

Anyway, it's a casual idea at this point, but I figured I'd run it by you folks.

Get that shotgun (and training on how to use it!)

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The shotgun is far more plausible as a self defense implement. It is something with a sporting application and thus not terribly unexpected in a home enviornment. It's a lot easier to explain to a jury. Keeping a wakizashi in the house in the hopes of getting to carve up an intruder... well that's a little harder to explain.

If you're genuinely worried about dying a premature violent death, spend your money on defensive driving classes. You're much more likely to be killed in an auto accident.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Load your shotgun with 2 or 3 shells of #8 shot (small), which do not pose a great penetration problem, and then just in case if someone's still interested in attacking you (not likely, since he's going to be either dead, or riddled with enough steel BB-sized particles to discourage him), have a couple of #4 shotshells in there.

So what about training with a good wakizashi? I mean, it'd primarily be a hobby/something to do for kicks, but it seems like an ideal weapon for cramped hallways.

If your place is as cramped as you say it is, then you are less likely to be able to swing around a sword of any kind. You'd essentially be reduced to using it as a stabbing weapon, in which case, you're probably better off with a hunting knife.

If you're already proficient with swords, then go ahead and use the wakazashi, but otherwise, hunting knives are going to be easier and cheaper to use.

And I suppose in a legal/reasonable force aspect, if an intruder got close enough to you that you could take him out with a short sword, it's a more plausible self-defense case than blowing him away with a 12-gauge from across the room.

Blades or firearms, it really doesn't matter. While you'd probably not face criminal charges if you were in a legit self-defense situation, you never know what an obsessed DA (such as Nifong) might try to string out for you, or that a civil case could easily occur. The jury really won't care about your weapon of choice.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
MA has some pretty backwards gun laws. But it's not that hard to legally own a shotgun. And it's certainly within the realm of possibility to legally own a handgun as long as you're not interested in getting a CCW, which is very difficult indeed.

If you do get one, make sure that you get competent instruction in how to use it safely and effectively. Invest in a good method of securing your firearm when you are not using it. If you go with a shotgun I would suggest #4 buck or larger. That's what everything from The Box of Truth to the experts recommends. Mossberg, Bennelli, Remington, Winchester, Beretta or Browning are good brands of shotgun. For handguns, .380 is generally considered the smallest caliber that is useful for self defense. There are even more brands of revolver and pistol and more types of ammunition than you can shake a very large stick at. Choosing a firearm is a whole separate discussion...

OP
M

meta_aesthete

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I more or less figured as such. I suppose the only problem I can see with this plan is that I live with roommates who are somewhat nervous about guns and would probably freak out if I had one in my bedroom.

I think the shotgun idea with the low-penetration shot is a good idea. I just always have nightmares of a ricochet going through an apartment wall and hurting someone else. Highly improbable, I know.

And yeah, a DA would probably jump all over someone cutting up an intruder with a specialized killing blade, as opposed to standard shotgun.

Anyhow, thanks for clearing it up. Time to post in the firearms section!

OP
M

meta_aesthete

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you're genuinely worried about dying a premature violent death, spend your money on defensive driving classes. You're much more likely to be killed in an auto accident.

One of the many reasons that I live car-free. :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I more or less figured as such. I suppose the only problem I can see with this plan is that I live with roommates who are somewhat nervous about guns and would probably freak out if I had one in my bedroom.

I think the shotgun idea with the low-penetration shot is a good idea. I just always have nightmares of a ricochet going through an apartment wall and hurting someone else. Highly improbable, I know.

And yeah, a DA would probably jump all over someone cutting up an intruder with a specialized killing blade, as opposed to standard shotgun.

Anyhow, thanks for clearing it up. Time to post in the firearms section!

Any discharge of a firearm within the city limits (incl. Jamaica Plain, Brighton, etc) requires a boatload of paperwork by the BPD.

I'd strongly recommend chatting with Atty. Darius Arbabi, who is one of the attorneys at www.massgunlaw.com He's a good guy and can give you some ideas over the phone as to what your best options are to stay within the law.

Good luck! :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's something to consider about a wakazashi blade ... are you going to invest in a quality one? or were you planning on buying one at the mall or the martial arts supply store?

The latter are what we call "Wallhangers" - they're esthetically pleasing, but should you purposely or accidentally bang that blade against something solid, guess what? That blade is likely made from stainless steel. It will splinter and break.

And no, I'm not kidding.

So if you want something that's far less likely to do so, you'll be needing to sink around $150-$200 into a Wakazashi sword with a tempered blade for your self-defense and still ... you'll need lessons to wield a sword such that you don't get hurt yourself. There's more to it than "pointy end goes in the other guy."

I assume you're looking for something longer range than H2H, so if you are insistent upon hunting your potential intruder, I'd go with the other gentlemen's recommendations.

You might want to know ... those who seek out their intruder usually get at least hurt if not killed. If you wake up knowing someone is in your house, it's better to find a non-obvious spot you will defend with your life and call the authorities quietly. Sound cowardly? Okay. Then go bravely charging into battle ... but you need to be seriously aware of the potential consequences.

Ask your local law enforcement precinct about defending your home within the limits of the law and what they recommend for non-firearm owning citizens. Then see a lawyer to get the REAL scoop on the law. You might be able to get a 30 minute consultation for free if you call the Bar.

Iin the meantime, have a nighttime safety routine - check the doors and windows and make sure they're locked. If you have a security alarm, arm it, if you can't afford one, you can get a really cheap door alarm from the home improvement store - one-time cost except for battery maintenance (you do that, standard store bought batteries) and it's still coded. Then there are window alarms. These are magnetized; I bought one door alarm and four window alarms for about $50 total.

Dowels in the windows should be a couple inches longer than the space for them to prop the shut sliding window up against the frame - this way the window can't be lifted out.

Install motion detectors on outdoor lights. You can also get a chiming motion detector to go in front of doorways which will chime in your bedroom to alert you if someone approaches one at an odd hour.

Charge your cel phone next to your bed. If a potential miscreant cuts the phone line to the house before entering (this would be someone you'd want to RUN AWAY from) you have a cel phone to call the authorities with.

Have an emergency exit plan. NOT JUST FOR FIRES - for your personal safety.

Just a few simple, one-time cost and relatively inexpensive ways to prevent burglary while you're home.

THEN look into the firearms.

Ciao.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get that shotgun (and training on how to use it!)

Drac LOVE Mossburg...As I posted once before the scariest sound for a burgular creeping into a dark room is the "CHA-CHUNK" of a round being "jacked" into the chamber..

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wakizashi for home defense?
Attempting to use a bladed weapon without proper training is simply asking for trouble. You can easily do a lot more harm to yourself than the intruder might. I will make the recommendation that I always make when these type of questions arise ... get a dog. Any medium sized dog will almost guarantee that you will never have to worry about intruders. No one will be able to sneak into your house. They are more effective at deterring burglars than a security system. They can also be a lot of fun and quite entertaining. Avoid the question of what sort of weapon to use entirely, by simply getting a dog.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Drac LOVE Mossburg...As I posted once before the scariest sound for a burgular creeping into a dark room is the "CHA-CHUNK" of a round being "jacked" into the chamber..

No doubt that should get a burglar's attention. Like you I love my A1 Mossberg!
icon14.gif

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once again, many of the low penetration loads have the serious drawback of not penetrating the bad guy enough to stop him. Rock salt, bird shot, #8 are probably not going to get the job done. The more traditional self defense and hunting loads do run greater risk of overpenetration. But there comes a time when the risk of possible legal consequences from stray rounds in an otherwise good shoot have to be weighed against the immediate danger of being killed or otherwise messed up in the next five seconds.

Second Carol's advice. See the friendly AG. Learn about the law in your jurisdiction and be sure to keep on the right side of it. If you like the idea of a shotgun and something sharp get a Mossberg 590. It's set up to take a bayonet :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Me too! There are some really nice mods for the mossberg for close quarter.

OP
M

meta_aesthete

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I would obviously get training in the wakizashi if I were to buy it. I take Bujinkan, and we do blades training at higher levels. And my friend jokingly bought me a "wallhanger" katana for my birthday two years ago, so I would definitely invest.

Also, I have no illusions about quietly stalking some guy who's trying to jack my DVD player. He can have it. It would basically be a "heard someone break in, call the cops, sit tight in a dark corner of my bedroom, and rip the bastard to shreds if he comes in" sort of situation.

But really the shotgun would be the better bet. So long as the legalities work out.

Thanks a ton for the tip, Carol. I'll see what I can do -- I don't feel direly threatened in my neighborhood, but am just taking time to feel out some options at this point.

Thanks everyone!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you've described is the classic training for defensive use of firearms in the home. Arm yourself. Get to your safe room. Call the cops. Do the indicated if intruders approach you.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But really the shotgun would be the better bet. So long as the legalities work out.

Yes.

Do you have the perverted ability to look your victim in the eye as you stab him and then twist the blade to make the damage even worse?

I can. I have been trained to. I know I can. When some guy hopped on drugs is coming at you is not the time to find out if you can do the same. Distance, that you can get from a firearm, is your friend.

Did you know that even in combat when people are shooting at you, a lot of soldiers will not even target an individual? So when someone is coming at you, can you really make the choice to chop him into little pieces with a blade?

Do yourself a favor and read the book On Killing by Grossman. Then do his little test of having a friend tape tangerines over his eyes and simulate the screaming and pleading someone can do as you gouge out the fruit as you would his eyes in a real situation.

Some would say that unless you can train yourself to be so uncaring as to be able to do that without pause you should have no business dealing with martial arts at all. There is some truth to that. But I would rather you blow some druggie away with a shotgun than have your blade taken away from you because you lack the sociopathical impluse to kill and see the blood, pain and death you cause up close.

But really, you should consider what you are willing to do and work it out way before it ever becomes a reality. Winging it as someone's life (your's or his) hangs in the balance is just a recipe for regret if not failure.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me too! There are some really nice mods for the mossberg for close quarter.

Yes there are...Plus anyone can use the shotgun as there is no real aiming involved, just point and pull..

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes there are...Plus anyone can use the shotgun as there is no real aiming involved, just point and pull..

Um no, at close range (like in a house) you don't get much spread on your shot, you still have to aim, A 2" shot spread at 15' can easily miss.

Lamont

Latest Discussions