Wah Lum Exploration

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I have been out of training for several years, I had decided to return to MA as a white belt; beginning at the beginning. After some consideration, though, I am looking at CMA, rather than Karate. The closest studio is about 10 miles away, here. The sifu, Greg Zoganos, states he was certified by Grandmaster Chan. The school offers Northern Mantis and Tai Chi.

I am meeting with him, Zoganos, this evening and will observe a class.

Any advice on questions to ask, things to look for? I've done some research online about the system and Chan. Any aditional insight would be helpful.

Thank you.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I met with the sifu at 6:00. It was a very informative meeting.

First off: decent facility. Not ostentatious; but, not back of the garage. About a 50 mat area. Long wall with mirrors. Other long and one short wall for weapons. Several heavy bags. One training dummy. Entry room tastefully decorated.

We spent some time talking about me and my goals. I was up front with him. 2 years of WoW makes one outta shape and pudgy and suggests more than a tiny compulsion issue. He agreed; though he's seen worse shape people come to train. no big deal. He was attentive and responsive without appearing trained to be that way. I liked it.

We spoke about the school lineage, history and general cirricula. He traced it back, in short form, to Shaolin (natch. doesn't everyone?) and spoke specifically about the current Grandmaster Chan Pui and Chan's teacher. Which took us back to him, Greg. His cert was on the wall and it appears Chan certified him. At this point, I was accepting of his, and the schools, credentials.

Contract? Yes; but, a minimal one. He spoke of using contracts to keep people motivated on the days they didn't want to show up. Maybe true; but kinda ham-handed, y'know? Anyways, $195 down (registration and head to toe school uniform) and $80 a month. Not unreasonable. I broke out the wholesale cost of the uniform from that, mentioned a vague amount for registration costs and told him it seemed fair. I liked the 6 mos, though I'm not fond of contracts. Then, out of the blue, he shaved $100 off the downpayment. So, $95 down and 6 mos. even bester. I probably should have advised him to wait till the potential student balks at the price to cut it.
I watched about 20 mins of the class. Laps for warm ups in sparring gear with an assistant. Greg came in and began a simple footwork drill; then, the drill with punches. Finally, the drill with kicks. By then I really had to pee and, I think, the bathroom was across the floor; so, I split.

He had printed out the class schedule. 2 1-hour classes a week for the beginner. It had the contract breakdown and downpayment on it that he said he would honor when I was ready to start.

I have to admit, I liked this guy. And, I was paying $80 a month for TKD 6 years ago.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well not everyone traces it back to Shaolin...Us ICMA guys trace ours back to Taoists who seem to get these ideas while spending time in a cave :rolleyes:

Is the contact based on the style you are being taught or is it Sanshou?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greg empasised that they teach a traditional style in a traditional fashion; which is to say, all techniques that can be used as SD will also be taught as SD. As he made only a passing reference to Sanshou, I presume it is separate. It would be worth asking next time I'm there.

I was being facetious about lineage tracing. Shaolin Temple seems to be the starting point for most martial arts...so, I was a-joking.

The style I'd enter is Northern Mantis. There are forms and weapons for each level. After 3 levels, I would be reevaluated for a specific path, weapon, etc.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Cool

And I know you were joking...as was I.... Kinda Sorta

Liu he Ba fa was allegedly found in a cave that some nameless Taoist spent his time in carving it into the walls and one of the origin stories of the mystical Zhang Senfeng has him discovering the secrets of Taiji in a Mystical cave. But then Shaolin is suppose to have come from Bodhidharma after he spent some time in a cave...what is the deal with caves in China... :hmm: The heck with training maybe I need to check out a cave the next time I'm there :D

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be starting there 4/12 as I couldn't offload my WoW account.

I went to 2 other, nearby, shops. The first, the owner started with contract. So, he failed. The second was run-down and the class was very small. Fopr about the same price.

And you're right, there does seem to be something about caves in all of this, doesn't there?

I'm told that the image of Bodhidharma remains in the cave near the monestary to this day.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw him (I think it was him) demo @ Shawn Liu's 2001 tourny here in ATL. You'll be ok.

Wah Lum is going to demand a lot, but if you've been couch driving like you say you have, you'll get a lot out of the workout & training.

Keep your expectations real & you'll get out of it what you put in.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's reassuring. Thank you.

I know it will take a lot and, in a masochistic sorta way, I'm looking forward to it. I think I'm very close to going full-on sedentary if I don't start soon.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thw WoW account sold today. I may start as soon as next Monday or as late as Wednesday.

right on.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
wow is world of warcraft, an mmorpg, or multiple massively online role playing game. :D
Good luck at wah lum! I wish I could train 7 days a week! not that you will be.. but still.. the whole starting a specific role thing is SICK, that must have really hit home with your WoW background.. choose your class wisely!

Going to have to go meditate in a cave...
the image stone must be so darn purty..

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
wow is world of warcraft, an mmorpg, or multiple massively online role playing game. :D
Good luck at wah lum! I wish I could train 7 days a week! not that you will be.. but still.. the whole starting a specific role thing is SICK, that must have really hit home with your WoW background.. choose your class wisely!

Going to have to go meditate in a cave...
the image stone must be so darn purty..

you don't really know your class till you hit level 20; so, there's going to be a little time before I decide.

The payment for the account from PayPal hit my bank account this morning; so, I'm off to see sifu after work. I'll start Wednesday.

Thank you for your kind words.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2 years of WoW what is wow? i seem to have missed what that is?

If you consider Dungeons and Dragons mixed with Doom and sped up about 100 times, you have an idea of WoW.

You, sir, have not missed anything at all.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is done. Contract signed. Uniform in hand. I start tomorrow.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I shall post about the experience this evening. In our initial interview, sifu stressed the five excellences, noting a journal would satisfy progress in one of them, I'll be posting in the blog. I may have to duplicate this on paper, as typing is not calligraphy.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As The blogs don't get as much traffic as the fourms do, lemme post this here:

First night at Wah Lum training and it was good to be back.

Naturally, I was instructed when to bow and how to salute, how to tie my sash and shown several things unique to the school: Location of lineage, locker room, image of the Grandmaster. These details took about five minutes.

The assistant instructor that guided me first explained the structure of the class. First, let me say, it cycles about twice a year and I'm in near the beginning. That's good.

After that, he showed me the sequence of warming up and stretching. Besides running, it's not too aerobic which, given my current lung capacity, I'm ok with. The next section of time was spent showing me a couple breathing techniques: a general deep breath and a cleansing breath; which, by the way, were very effective. I'd not learned such techniques previously.

After that, for about 20 minutes, it was all horse stance. Riding horse stance, Mountain-climbing horse stance, ladies horse stance and cat stance, which I will call (in my head) Moonwalking down the mountain.

I don't think my legs are going to be too polite too me in the morning. They're not too happy now. Tomorrow, though (weather permitting), it's off to Dawes and practice these four stances in the field.

Class again on Friday; and likely to be integrated with the rest of the beginner class then. I can expect 6 months of beginner's classes, I'm told. Maybe less, maybe more.

It all depends on me.

Addendum: 3rd day with no smoking...weeooo weeoo weeoo

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night, more horse stance. And running and iron bridge and ouch. The session was spilt between working with the class, bowing in and out, running, mostly and then one-on-one with Chris, an assistant instructor that looks totally like Seth Green. We worked on breathing and one drill. Mountain climbing with a reverse punch into an upper block, reversal with an upper block and reverse punch. I'm moving things into positions that are a bit more distant than I am accustomed to, lol.

I hurt today, but, I went hiking for a couple miles, nonetheless. Tomorrow, I'll review the drill, practice horse stance and mow the lawn :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night, more horse stance. And running and iron bridge and ouch. The session was spilt between working with the class, bowing in and out, running, mostly and then one-on-one with Chris, an assistant instructor that looks totally like Seth Green. We worked on breathing and one drill. Mountain climbing with a reverse punch into an upper block, reversal with an upper block and reverse punch. I'm moving things into positions that are a bit more distant than I am accustomed to, lol.

I hurt today, but, I went hiking for a couple miles, nonetheless. Tomorrow, I'll review the drill, practice horse stance and mow the lawn :D

One step at a time to get down the path. You're on the path, just hang out & see where it goes.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm liking it, so far; but, seriously, I've only had two sessions. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. I'm content learning and getting back into shape. I take that back. I am eager to get my wind back.