Wah Lum Exploration

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Xue Sheng, do you Twitter? You could give us regular tweets on your santi shi ... :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue Sheng, do you Twitter? You could give us regular tweets on your santi shi ... :D

No but I will just do it here

Stood in Santi Shi 10 minutes today
Stood in Santi Shi 12 minutes today
Boy do my legs hurt
Stood in Santi Shi 15 minutes today

PAIN!!!! Searing pain and Agony... Then I fell down
Stood in Santi Shi 14 minutes today

OW OW OW OW OW.. this is insane

What am I crazy

Hey this is pretty cool, so that’s how it connects
PAIN!!!! Searing pain and Agony... then I fell down, Boy do my legs, shoulders and arms hurt
:D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like we've got another convert to the Traditional Chinese martial arts.

different perspective, eh? and all these people think Chinese martial arts are no good. We'll they're only no good when they aren't done right. When they are done right, they are INTENSE. and you can see the potential that lies therein.

Sounds like you are on a good path. I don't know much about Wah Lum, but Chan Pui is pretty famous, and old-school.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Convert is almost the right term here. Honestly, CMA was what I wanted from the beginning; but, there was nothing local. Now, there is :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No but I will just do it here

Stood in Santi Shi 10 minutes today
Boy do my legs hurt

PAIN!!!! Searing pain and Agony... Then I fell down
Stood in Santi Shi 14 minutes today

OW OW OW OW OW.. this is insane

What am I crazy

Hey this is pretty cool, so that’s how it connects
PAIN!!!! Searing pain and Agony... then I fell down, Boy do my legs, shoulders and arms hurt
:D

Sissy... :whip1:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In all seriousness tho, it is my opinion that the real potential of the Traditional Chinese methods is just not understood by most people, because so few people are willing to train it the way it needs to be. Most people want the fantasy that they are doing martial arts, and the way they train reflects that. So these methods develop a reputation for just not being very powerful.

But when it's trained the way it should be, I think it absolutely can rival anything else, and I'll even go so far as to say that I believe they have more to offer than most. But it all hinges on having a good instructor, and the willingness to train the way it needs to be done.

Congrats, it should be a worthwhile journey.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In all seriousness tho, it is my opinion that the real potential of the Traditional Chinese methods is just not understood by most people, because so few people are willing to train it the way it needs to be. Most people want the fantasy that they are doing martial arts, and the way they train reflects that. So these methods develop a reputation for just not being very powerful.

But when it's trained the way it should be, I think it absolutely can rival anything else, and I'll even go so far as to say that I believe they have more to offer than most. But it all hinges on having a good instructor, and the willingness to train the way it needs to be done.

Congrats, it should be a worthwhile journey.

What he said.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made my first goal!

On this, the first day of my third week of training and 16th day of not smoking, I finished the opening run without walking and I finished class without bowing out.

We learned three more stances: what Sifu called 7-star, crushing and kneeling stances.

My legs hurt a bit, just a bit.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made my first goal!

On this, the first day of my third week of training and 16th day of not smoking, I finished the opening run without walking and I finished class without bowing out.

We learned three more stances: what Sifu called 7-star, crushing and kneeling stances.

My legs hurt a bit, just a bit.

Huzzah!!!!

Chat Sing Ma, Bai Ma, Gwai Ma...

Do yourself a BIG favor & learn the Cantonese for everything. It will make it much easier... plus you join the cool kids (like me & FC) rather than the Northerners that talk funny like Xue.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been trying to learn the terms. Sifu believes we should pay attention and does not provide a terminology sheet.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Huzzah!!!!

Chat Sing Ma, Bai Ma, Gwai Ma...

Do yourself a BIG favor & learn the Cantonese for everything. It will make it much easier... plus you join the cool kids (like me & FC) rather than the Northerners that talk funny like Xue.

Spoken like a true Southern stylist.... who like most Southerners...talks too much... and eats weird food :D

Two other things told to me by the lady form Guangzhou.
"In the South, they anything with legs, except tables and chairs"
"Southerners like to Argue.... Northerners like to hit" :EG:

Based on that last one I suggest learning Mandarin, the language of the TRUE CMA Stylist :D

I've been trying to learn the terms. Sifu believes we should pay attention and does not provide a terminology sheet.

I would not worry about this so much at this point. If they yell “ma bu” at you enough you will eventually associate that with horse stance and learn the terminology too.

If you do want to learn the terminology without the word written in pinyin given to you it is very difficult if they are using Mandarin :))) to find out what it is and if it is Cantonese :)( likely they talk to much anyway so who cares :D) it is will be doubly hard. Cantonese has more tones then Mandarin and some of the old school Cantonese is not in Pinyin it is Wade Giles. And as always when asking for what something means, Chinese characters are best

There are a few books out there on terminology there is a “Wushu Dictionary by Andrea Falk” You might be able to get it from her website. But it will likely be Mandarin since her main styles are all Northern styles. And I have a book somewhere that had both Cantonese and Mandarin in it, it wasn’t great but it was not bad. If I can find it and it is still in print I will post the title for you.

Also use your powers of Webfu and you will find a few sites that that have some “Chinese martial arts terminology”

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well what's more Mr funny tone...

Master Chan is from Toison (that'd be Taishan to y'all who talk funny). So his Cantonese isn't straight up Guangzhou Cantonese or even Hong Kong dialect Cantonese or Canto-darin.

You will learn it like Xue said just by association in class, but learn it now & learn it early & life will be much easier.

Give me a shout if you've got questions. I'll help with what I can.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Having two different folks speaking two different languages is making my life all that much easier.

Mebbe I'll learn both, neh?

Latest Discussions