Wah Lum Exploration

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok...I'm fairly certain that, in some northern dialect, Wah Lum translates into 'constant pain'; but, I'll allow that part of that may just be me.

The instructor that trained me last week left the floor as we were bowing in; so, I bowed in with the class and jumped in with both feet. Soon thereafter, he whispered behind me that we'd split off after the wrm-up exercises. At some point, I guess, he decided I was doing ok and let me continue with the rest of the class.

Much horse stance and much aerobics; but, I was not going to beg off. After warming up, running laps and 3 different line drills, I kinda got ordered out to get a drink and catch my breath. I was accused and found guilty of rushing things. See, the thing is, the level I'm learning now is comprised of MA basics that are universal, very nearly and I should be able to do them.

I was chided to take a break when necessary and focus on breathing in. Exhales, he said, will take care of themselves. I was also congratulated on my desire to learn and progress, so far.

But, it hurts. man, does it ever owie. i see the world from horse stance right now.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.........

Wait til your body figures out it needs to release endorphines because if not you'll die on the spot, stuck in a sei ping ma...

Good times... :-D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ok...I'm fairly certain that, in some northern dialect, Wah Lum translates into 'constant pain'; but, I'll allow that part of that may just be me.

The instructor that trained me last week left the floor as we were bowing in; so, I bowed in with the class and jumped in with both feet. Soon thereafter, he whispered behind me that we'd split off after the wrm-up exercises. At some point, I guess, he decided I was doing ok and let me continue with the rest of the class.

Much horse stance and much aerobics; but, I was not going to beg off. After warming up, running laps and 3 different line drills, I kinda got ordered out to get a drink and catch my breath. I was accused and found guilty of rushing things. See, the thing is, the level I'm learning now is comprised of MA basics that are universal, very nearly and I should be able to do them.

I was chided to take a break when necessary and focus on breathing in. Exhales, he said, will take care of themselves. I was also congratulated on my desire to learn and progress, so far.

But, it hurts. man, does it ever owie. i see the world from horse stance right now.

Yer off the edge of the map, mate. here there be monsters...Welcome to training CMA Mr OnlyAnEgg :EG: :D

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did not want to go today. I was up late last night. My left leg felt like it had a charley horse half the day and, for some inexplicable reason, I began coughing today like I was still smoking. I went anyways.

Sifu told me, the day I signed on, that all I had to do was get there and they'd take care of the rest. Well, once I drug my lazy butt up there, it all fell into place.

Tonight I started working my limitations. I have a low cardio; so, I struggled to run farther, at a better pace, than last class. I did...by a few yards, mebbe.

My horseback riding stance is improving. I'm a little lower and can last longer in position.

We did line drills consisting of three parts of the first form. I discovered, tonight, that giving my all can be applied to a time frame, say the length of the class, rather than all out from the get go. I'm learning to pace myself and focus on my breathing.

I hurt and that's ok.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
**** me. That's almost all I have to say.

Line drills from the deepest levels of Hell tonight. Horse stances for so long that God, himself, would grimace. I bowed out once. By the end of next week, no more. That's the goal.

I hurt so much right now. I can't say it's a good hurt; but, I am looking forward to next class. I guess it's not such a bad hurt.

ow.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Line drills from the deepest levels of Hell tonight. Horse stances for so long that God, himself, would grimace. I bowed out once. By the end of next week, no more. That's the goal.

I hurt so much right now. I can't say it's a good hurt; but, I am looking forward to next class. I guess it's not such a bad hurt.

ow.

hah... you wish spanky... it only gets better.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What really blows my mind is that what I'm doing now is conditioning for the martial art, itself.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What really blows my mind is that what I'm doing now is conditioning for the martial art, itself.

Yeah... Wah Lum's conditioning is for Wah Lum. Not say anyboy wouldn't reap benefits from it or another martial artist the same. But that conditioning is for that. Each MA while sharing similar ideas to get down the road will have specific conditioning for what it is & brings.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

ow.

Well to quote my last Xingyiquan sifu on his view on standing in Santi Shi…

"If you have joint pain let me know and we can adjust your stance... if you are having muscle pain…. Shut up and stand… I don’t want to hear about it."

This is why a lot of Tradional CMA schools don't do so well, training hurts. But once you get through the initial training it gets mighty cool and you are amazed at what a difference the training made and makes... because it never really ends

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I am still not a fan of contract schools, I can already see how important having $80/month hanging over my head is for keeping me motivated during this conditioning.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now that I know what I'm up against and I'm aware what these 6 months are designed to do for me, I don't think I'll do daily updates, mmk?

Suffice it to say I like this school and the instructors and so, I'll continue.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
:eye-popping: WHAT!!!!

No daily updates

Stood in Ma Bu 10 minutes today
Stood in Ma Bu 12 minutes today
Stood in Ma Bu 12 minutes today
Boy do my legs hurt
Stood in Ma Bu 15 minutes today
Stood in Ma Bu 14 minutes today
Boy do my legs hurt

:D

Sorry having some background in Xingyiquan Santi shi training I just couldn't resist

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really could use a 'Shuttup, Xue Sheng' button. I'll ask Bob if he can install one :D

Latest Discussions