Vision during sparring

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eyes don't punch nor do they kick. Some people stare where they want to attack which is why some people say to look at the eyes. This doesn't work against trained fighters. If I catch you looking at my eyes then I'll stare at your feet and punch you in the face.

So chests do punch and kick? :D

When I took TKD, I was taught to look at the eyes; for signals of attack that came from the eyes. I was also taught to expand and use my peripheral vision such that I could see attacks beginning and respond to them. YMMV.

I carried that over into the Hapkido I studied. Then I began to notice my GM looking at the attacking member. I began to realize that had value too. Grappling usually depends on a precise grip. Part of that comes from 'feel' but 'seeing' can aid the process of getting the feel a little quicker. At least that was what I found. Now I tend to do both, but still put emphasis on the eyes. It was what I learned first.

I think part of that comes from the fact that we specifically train from a defense standpoint. And since we also often move into an attack, we must be faster than an opponent, and more accurate. Again, YMMV.

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Then I began to notice my GM looking at the attacking member. I began to realize that had value too.
Oh, yeah. I think that the assumption in the previous points is "look centrally, expanding the window of attention, before the attack comes." Then once the attack comes, direct some attention to the limb, but keep a diffused attention in case the attacker is launching a multi-limb attack.

But I guess that if the eyes consistently serve as a cue to heighten the level of attention, there can be value in that.